Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Irons Review

Here are some comparison pics to my AP1 7i. They aren't near as different as I was expecting.

Wow, yeah I'm surprised they're that big as well.

Have you had a chance to hit it yet?

Wow, yeah I'm surprised they're that big as well.

Have you had a chance to hit it yet?
Yeah. First impression is that it's just as easy to hit, but quite a bit shorter.

Very interesting, because there is a LOT more tech/forgiveness packed into the AP1's. The M3's are as straight forward CB as you get.

Loving all the different feedback on these, they were fun to review.

Yeah. First impression is that it's just as easy to hit, but quite a bit shorter.

Interesting. I wonder if you'd find the same conclusion in the longer irons.

Interesting. I wonder if you'd find the same conclusion in the longer irons.

Very interesting, because there is a LOT more tech/forgiveness packed into the AP1's. The M3's are as straight forward CB as you get.

Loving all the different feedback on these, they were fun to review.
I was hitting the ball quite well while I compared them so that is why I haven't really formed any concrete thoughts yet. The truth lies in the misses.

how much shorter? i was seeing close to the same results between my 545 and the M3s at GS yesterday.

how much shorter? i was seeing close to the same results between my 545 and the M3s at GS yesterday.
I don't want to put a number on it until I spend some more time with them, but it's worth noting that I nuke my AP1s.

I don't want to put a number on it until I spend some more time with them, but it's worth noting that I nuke my AP1s.

understood. looking forward to your updates. what shaft do you have in the M3s? i liked these with the s300s but was even happier with the Aldila Rip 95. I saw an increase in distance with the rip.

Just gave this club another go round and I saw some good results again.
Good launch, nice feel, seemed to perform alright on a slightly heeled ball, and sexy sexy sexy.

Distance wise they are shorter than my AP1s and longer than my old DPCs.

Without starting a pointless debate I can't help but wonder if bending these 2 or 3 degrees strong would get some of that distance back or just completely screw up the performance of the clubs.

Just gave this club another go round and I saw some good results again.
Good launch, nice feel, seemed to perform alright on a slightly heeled ball, and sexy sexy sexy.

Distance wise they are shorter than my AP1s and longer than my old DPCs.

Without starting a pointless debate I can't help but wonder if bending these 2 or 3 degrees strong would get some of that distance back or just completely screw up the performance of the clubs.

two or three is more than i have seen anyone do. also not sure you will see a huge jump in distance maybe 1/2 club. doing that much bending might require a lie change as well.

They are a feel irons player and don't have the same tech as a GI, they are very nice but they are what they are and not sure anyone in the market for these is looking at them as a distance iron

two or three is more than i have seen anyone do. also not sure you will see a huge jump in distance maybe 1/2 club. doing that much bending might require a lie change as well.

They are a feel irons player and don't have the same tech as a GI, they are very nice but they are what they are and not sure anyone in the market for these is looking at them as a distance iron

This. This. This.

I'm not looking to make them a distance iron, just snatch back a few extra yards to minimize the difference.

The 7i I have offers plenty of launch so I don't think it would be a problem to go 2* strong.

Keep in mind you are also altering the bounce which will effect turf interaction to a degree.

Keep in mind you are also altering the bounce which will effect turf interaction to a degree.
Yep. I'd never even notice 2* of bounce in a blind test so I'm not worried about it.

I'm mostly concerned that it might lower ball flight without any meaningful gains.

I'm not a big fan of playing with the lofts on irons, I've done it with mixed successes and in the end I always felt too close to overthinking things. We are all different, but I'm in the group that the designers set the lofts that way for a reason area, when I reviewed them I just clubbed up and went on.

Such damn solid irons.

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Irons Review

I'm not a big fan of playing with the lofts on irons, We are all different, but I'm in the group that the designers set the lofts that way for a reason area, when I reviewed them I just clubbed up and went on.

Such damn solid irons.

Exactly what a buddy who has done fittings for a couple different OEMs told me last year when we discussing my irons and the lofts.

He said to just learn the distances of the current lofts instead of changing the dynamics of the club.

I'm not a big fan of playing with the lofts on irons, I've done it with mixed successes and in the end I always felt too close to overthinking things. We are all different, but I'm in the group that the designers set the lofts that way for a reason area, when I reviewed them I just clubbed up and went on.

Such damn solid irons.

this whole post is so true, you end up bringing things in that start to mess with that can throw things out of whack. i did this with my wedges and probably should have stayed with the std loft and just went to 52/54/56 instead of 49/53/58.

going from a GI in the AP1 to a players iron there will be a sacrifice in distance that probably can't be made up even with tinkering. IMO if looking to close the gap then look at the c100.

I'm still so torn with these. Playing around an 11 but trending down, I'm not sure it's a smart move to give up distance and forgiveness vs the c100. I really, really want to love these but if I struggle with consistency hitting a 7 iron it's likely I'll struggle more with a 6 iron clubbing up in the m3. Almost wanting my heart to override my brain, but I think it's a greater possibility I shoot better scores with the c100 than these :beat-up:

I'm still so torn with these. Playing around an 11 but trending down, I'm not sure it's a smart move to give up distance and forgiveness vs the c100. I really, really want to love these but if I struggle with consistency hitting a 7 iron it's likely I'll struggle more with a 6 iron clubbing up in the m3. Almost wanting my heart to override my brain, but I think it's a greater possibility I shoot better scores with the c100 than these :beat-up:

have you hit these? Have you considered the steelfibers or rip phenom 95? They won't help with forgiveness but you should see some added distance compared to stock..at least that was the case for me

have you hit these? Have you considered the steelfibers or rip phenom 95? They won't help with forgiveness but you should see some added distance compared to stock..at least that was the case for me
Yeah I've hit them. Hit them pretty well too but was only flying the 7 152-156, about a club short. I don't recall the two shafts I tried, but it's likely I'm going tour 90 stiff shafts for the clubs, whichever they are

After tooling around with my M3 7i for a week or so and a couple rounds I'm definitely not intimidated by it anymore. It's 1 club short on average compared to my AP1s (which are 1.5 clubs longer than the DPCs) and launches pretty similar to my AP1 8i.

For Legacy is basically a matter of choosing a) what I want and b) how much 1 club of distance matters to me.

For Legacy is basically a matter of choosing a) what I want and b) how much 1 club of distance matters to me.

From afar it seems like you know what you want up do. Re the lost clubs distance, it may not make much difference until you get into the 5i and down range. Maybe go with an extra hybrid there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff, Curtis. The M3s are still on my draft board as well. I have found them a little shorter than my current gamers as well. It's something I can adjust to, but we'll have a couple of range sessions and 9 holes to do that. Gonna be challenging and fun.

I used the M3 7i for one tee shot on a short par 4 and the result was perfection.
Nice high launch out of it and definitely spins higher than what I'm using now.

I used the M3 7i for one tee shot on a short par 4 and the result was perfection.
Nice high launch out of it and definitely spins higher than what I'm using now.

M3 with C Taper Lite. Just do it!

Back