Wilson Staff Model Collection Putters

IS it better milled? Because a different shaping, or a unique take on a shape, doesn’t mean a different milling process, no?
I think we're playing semantics with that because I consider that unique take on a shape as a change in the process. The CNC needs to be reprogrammed for that new shape. It's not a plug and play of the standard.

I feel like we have, in the past 20 minutes, thought harder on the marketing of these putters than Wilson has since the release.

I think we're playing semantics with that because I consider that unique take on a shape as a change in the process. The CNC needs to be reprogrammed for that new shape. It's not a plug and play of the standard.

I feel like we have, in the past 20 minutes, thought harder on the marketing of these putters than Wilson has since the release.
My point though is that milling is no different than any other process. Shapes always change.

And to the last, I’ve been saying that since my homepage article went up hahaha

My problem is Wilson equipment is just not easily found. I cannot recall the last time I saw any on the shelf, anywhere, including where I was fit last Saturday. Now, it may be there but so small foot print I missed them. I did see the full lineup in the fitter's area for the shop, but nothing on the floor. And putter wise, same. I was in PGATSS in Hilton Head (did not look, but also, did not see any, and I did - as always look around all the putters surrounding the putting surface).

Can't get these in golfers' hands if they are not out there to demo. The stores don't want to touch stuff that may be on the shelf for months and require returns and the buyer does not want to pay for a club sight unseen/untried at those prices.

I agree with @Jman - this is a release that Wilson blew.

Laughed at your last statement - and agree with it 100%

My point though is that milling is no different than any other process. Shapes always change.
Totally understand and agree. But the term "milling" or "milled" is something golfers recognize. You don't have to redefine it for the consumer. AI face or multi-material inserts or sliding weights or 3D Printing or any of the other neat stuff that's out there (which is all really good), is all new and needs explaining. Milled putter isn't something you have to redefine and introduce. A milled putter that's made with better metal and improved shapes should be really easy to explain.

I said it from the start.

They bungled the release. The people there then, screwed it up.

The Clay Long story should have been told, they should have priced it with Mizuno, and they should have included a weight kit. They’d have gotten SOME traction then.
You did and they didn't. With the bit of momentum they have now they should lower the price to gain trials and feauture them on their social media platforms. Personally, I wish they had used a larger grip like they do with the Bucktown that I use.

You did and they didn't. With the bit of momentum they have now they should lower the price to gain trials and feauture them on their social media platforms. Personally, I wish they had used a larger grip like they do with the Bucktown that I use.
Like it or not, they’ll then be seen as more inferior and having to be discounted to move. That is the reality of starting priced too high, just as pricing too low they’re seen as cheap, like Infinite.

Like it or not, they’ll then be seen as more inferior and having to be discounted to move. That is the reality of starting priced too high, just as pricing too low they’re seen as cheap, like Infinite.
Having now rolled one, the price isn't out of line with performance.

Having now rolled one, the price isn't out of line with performance.
I don’t disagree, but willing to accept it or not, it IS out of line for Wilson in its current state.

It’s why I always balk at companies suddenly deciding to get into milled putters. Only Mizuno has nailed that right now imo, and much of that was timing, price, and a badass finish option.

I have liked these.

IMG_4601.jpeg

I agree with you. My feeling is that so few people know these things are out there that a re-launch at a lower price might work. Especially when put along side of the new irons and wedge. At least they all look like they came from the same family. Can't be any worse than the current plan of doing nothing.

I agree with you. My feeling is that so few people know these things are out there that a re-launch at a lower price might work. Especially when put along side of the new irons and wedge. At least they all look like they came from the same family. Can't be any worse than the current plan of doing nothing.
They’re still a Wilson putter, they need to establish more visibility as a whole before any traction will be gained.

They’re still a Wilson putter, they need to establish more visibility as a whole before any traction will be gained.
Extremely fair point. I remember being surprised when they were launched. They know what it takes to have credibility. Hopefully it was the last of the Ready-Shoot-Aim marketing plans.

Extremely fair point. I remember being surprised when they were launched. They know what it takes to have credibility. Hopefully it was the last of the Ready-Shoot-Aim marketing plans.
I mean, you’ve kept that stance for a long time now despite not really playing many Wilson clubs as one of their biggest supporters. It’s not a knock, but to me more a statement that TO THIS POINT, maybe they HAVENT known what it takes.

That said, I do believe things are very much headed in a MUCH better direction.

I don't want to denigrate anybody at Wilson because I think they make good golf equipment. But I'm not sure many at Wilson know how to make consumers want to put that equipment in the bag.

Last edited:
I picked one up when I was in a Golftown up here in Canada, it was on the pre-owned rack but it didn’t have a mark on it, only the grip had been changed.

I don’t have a ton of putters to compare to, last year I was using the Cleveland Huntington Beach in the same shape, but the feel of the Wilson is so nice, it’s a shame a lot of people will overlook them just because it’s Wilson.

IMG_6687.jpeg

If i could find one, i surely would try it.

But in the note above, I’ve been thinking Ana diving into the internet to learn more about where Wilson is now and their products.

Sounds like they are making some really great stuff, but have a lot of trouble marketing it.

If i were them, I’d bring one product really strong, hammer the golf population with information then start doing more informational ads for other stuff.

Right now, it seems they are fighting for space in the stores.

I think they should send the DynaPower testers a bonus putter 😀. Kidding!!

I mean, you’ve kept that stance for a long time now despite not really playing many Wilson clubs as one of their biggest supporters. It’s not a knock, but to me more a statement that TO THIS POINT, maybe they HAVENT known what it takes.

That said, I do believe things are very much headed in a MUCH better direction
I don't play enough currently to invest in new product. Retirement fund and other responsibilites take the money.I just admire the brand and felt they would start to figure it out eventually. Of course, I didn't know that would take a decade. LOL I have owned their Triton, various 3 and 5 woods and several of the prior wedge s and still have a couple of their bags in the garage.

I just saw an Instagram post from Wilson using a golf influencer, boasting about the Staff Model CS22 putter.

It's a step, right?

I've been mallet shopping.. going to find one of these and roll it before I commit to the Inovai 6.5 or Ai One Jailbird

I've been mallet shopping.. going to find one of these and roll it before I commit to the Inovai 6.5 or Ai One Jailbird
I think the C22 is fairly new.TBH, all of their Staff putters are probably not easy to find. Wish the grip wasn't so slender. I love the grip on my Bucktown.

I think they must try to keep advertising in house. At this stage, they need to find a company or 2 and ask them produce a few story boards. I would only use companies that understand the golf market and can dive at least a bit into Wilson's better past.

Whatever they are doing thus far, is just not working too well - and if they need to give the local shops better spifs for shelf space - to get product into golfer's hands so be it.

With clearly competitive decent equipment - now's the time.

I think they must try to keep advertising in house. At this stage, they need to find a company or 2 and ask them produce a few story boards. I would only use companies that understand the golf market and can dive at least a bit into Wilson's better past.

Whatever they are doing thus far, is just not working too well - and if they need to give the local shops better spifs for shelf space - to get product into golfer's hands so be it.

With clearly competitive decent equipment - now's the time.
Changes have already been made, significant ones.

I’ve been maybe THE most critical of the brand here on THP, and even I now feel very positive about the changes.

Back