Wilson Staff Model Collection Putters

Based on aesthetics alone I would at least give these a try.

Alright, so... I guess my problem right now is that I just don't track well with the identity, so I needed something visually exciting to get me invested in at least trying them.

It is surprising to me that they went a singular fill color, especially with the W/S red on potential. It's almost like singular color devalues the presentation a bit, and reminds me of that time I bought a shirt and paid by the color.

They look decent, and the milling is pretty well done, but I wonder if better badging on the front instead of just a monster W/S logo would have helped.

I just don't know.
Understand your thoughts. I assumed they were trying to make it mirror into the look of the original 8802 the blade and the CB irons. It looks classic to me but I am old....er

The MT22 looks very appealing. The lineup overall looks like a premium offering.
I’d agree it looks premium if only they didn’t slap a giant Wilson logo on the cavity of each putter. I always thought they were trying to separate Wilson Staff from Wilson and all this does is muddy it all up.

I’ll throw a wrench in here.

How many of these do you actually think Wilson is producing?
There are minimums on materials, molds and things of that nature. Unless PGATSS, Budget Golf and other bigs guys get behind it I doubt that make too many. No idea on the actual number. You seemed open minded about it in your article but you've asked a couple of questions in the thread that appear to cast doubt. I guess having the product in hand will give clarity.

I like the looks of these, very clean, but as you mentioned the perception of Wilson (even with the Staff moniker) is still low

The MT22 looks
I’d agree it looks premium if only they didn’t slap a giant Wilson logo on the cavity of each putter. I always thought they were trying to separate Wilson Staff from Wilson and all this does is muddy it all up.
That is true but par for the course for Wilson.

These have much more visual appeal IMO than the infinite line. The Infinite line “looked” cheap and at that price point I’d assume the aesthetic appeal carries a lot of weight for the high handicap/ weekend golfer. These on the other hand are some of the cleaner putters I’ve seen lately, and I think at a lower price point would be considered a steal, similar to what Cleveland has done with the Huntington line
It’s easy to say, but go too much lower, they get called cheap and not a steal.

Wow...$350 for the putters...for some reason a $299 price might be easier to stomach. How was their success with the Staff Model golf ball priced as high (or higher) than the ProV1 and TP5?

I am not saying it isn't a quality product or they won't be a great putter. They may make others I do not know that, but the perceived value is the big issue. Wilson is not what is used to be in name or market share. I am a Wilson fan I used their clubs a long time, but when you have Mizuno out there making a very compelling case at 50 dollars cheaper with more options, or the new Ping at 75 dollars cheaper at 350 they have priced themselves into a spot that is a tough sell especially with their crayon eating marketing department.
The point I was bringing up is they’re not making as many heads as PING, they’re also not seeking to be in that realm as those two have totally different audience sizes, when you compare to PING it’s apples to kumquats. Wilson’s audience of potential sales is like comparing a puddle to

Mizuno is an apt comparison, and that one has a lot of merit as a lot of us in here have discussed it.

It’s easy to say, but go too much lower, they get called cheap and not a steal.
I'm not hurt that you called my Bucktown cheap... LOL. it is one of the best putters i have used. I agree that this Staff Collection is too high based on where the brand sits today.. It is up to them to figure it out or there will be some pretty closeouts.

I'm not hurt that you called my Bucktown cheap... LOL. it is one of the best putters i have used. I agree that this Staff Collection is too high based on where the brand sits today.. It is up to them to figure it out or there will be some pretty closeouts.
But what if they’re only making a smaller amount of heads? Inventory management, if done properly, can make this a more palatable price point for them. They’re not looking to sell as many as the big fish, so at a smaller inventory the price isn’t obscene. Their issue is they don’t know how to tell the story of it, and as I showed in the release article there is a story to tell…but they don’t seem to see that.

Hopefully they prove me wrong.

But what if they’re only making a smaller amount of heads? Inventory management, if done properly, can make this a more palatable price point for them. They’re not looking to sell as many as the big fish, so at a smaller inventory the price isn’t obscene. Their issue is they don’t know how to tell the story of it, and as I showed in the release article there is a story to tell…but they don’t seem to see that.

Hopefully they prove me wrong.
I have been involved in purchasing with China and Vietnam. They want quantity for better pricing for sure. Occasionally you find a supplier that lets you build up your business with smaller numbers.
We all assume with good reason that the story won't translate. I have noticed their website looks better ,although I wish golf had its own site. In their other sports they have told their stories in a more compelling manner. As another person noted you tell their story better than they do.

The point I was bringing up is they’re not making as many heads as PING, they’re also not seeking to be in that realm as those two have totally different audience sizes, when you compare to PING it’s apples to kumquats. Wilson’s audience of potential sales is like comparing a puddle to

Mizuno is an apt comparison, and that one has a lot of merit as a lot of us in here have discussed it.
Got ya. I just think at that price point they are targeting the "premium" market via the mass market and not sure Wilson can get there right now even if that is the intended strategy. Wilson makes solid clubs, but because of their marketing and how shaky they are as a company I personally and it seems most are just not willing to pay premium prices for their goods. They already have a small market share and with their pricing they have inevitably made it smaller. If they came at that 299 or even 249 mark you are having a whole different conversation because now you are comparing against others in the same perceived value of your brand. If it punches above its weight and you get a following off of it then pricing could increase, new iterations could garner higher prices. They have pretty much priced themselves into no man's land.

I have been involved in purchasing with China and Vietnam. They want quantity for better pricing for sure. Occasionally you find a supplier that lets you build up your business with smaller numbers.
We all assume with good reason that the story won't translate. I have noticed their website looks better ,although I wish golf had its own site. In their other sports they have told their stories in a more compelling manner. As another person noted you tell their story better than they do.
No doubt they’re making a lot to us, but I’d bet a fortune it’s a drop in the bucket compared to PING and others

Got ya. I just think at that price point they are targeting the "premium" market via the mass market and not sure Wilson can get there right now even if that is the intended strategy. Wilson makes solid clubs, but because of their marketing and how shaky they are as a company I personally and it seems most are just not willing to pay premium prices for their goods. They already have a small market share and with their pricing they have inevitably made it smaller. If they came at that 299 or even 249 mark you are having a whole different conversation because now you are comparing against others in the same perceived value of your brand. If it punches above its weight and you get a following off of it then pricing could increase, new iterations could garner higher prices. They have pretty much priced themselves into no man's land.
[/QUOTE]
"They have pretty much priced themselves into no man's land"
. I agree the price feels high. I'm pre-buying at $249- $299 but this is a lot for ANY putter. There is a 10% on the site but a putter is something I want to hold before I drop a ton on it.

I’m interested in the discussion here as far as price, brand perception and potential demand for this line of putters.

And I would love to try an 8802 but probably not at $349.

These are discussed today on the Worst Golf Podcast, for those curious…

I like the simplistic look and I’m sure these are very nice, but they will struggle. Mizuno and Cobra priced similarly and have excellent products yet didn’t take a huge market share (if so, neither are saying it).

The TM22 looks great on WGP! I’m indifferent on the Wilson in the cavity.

These are very good looking putters that basically no one will buy. Maybe some 8802s will see because of nostalgia but otherwise no.

These are very good looking putters that basically no one will buy. Maybe some 8802s will see because of nostalgia but otherwise no.
I mean, W/S die hards will, so hopefully they’ve accounted for that in their quantities, ya know?

They look great, but in terms of not-tier-1 putting companies (that is, not Ping, Odyssey, Scameron, or TaylorMade) I don't feel like they offer anything new, and short of getting them in hand, I don't get the sensation they're doing anything better than, say, SeeMore, Cleveland, or PXG already do for considerably less money. For a brand that, regardless of price point, struggles against the perception of being outdated, this release just does very little to move me off that "outdated" perception. To me, they are a lovely version of yesteryear's putters.

These look nice, premium pricing with so much competition. This alone won't bring back Wilson.

I mean, W/S die hards will, so hopefully they’ve accounted for that in their quantities, ya know?

There are Wilson die-hards? lol

There are Wilson die-hards? lol
Absolutely. Most reside in and surrounding Illinois, but there are still die hards.

It’s interesting though to watch the company struggle with messaging and image like @JB and @GolferGal discussed on WGP today when if they would look down the road they can see a company in Tour Edge who is THRIVING.

Back