Wilson Staff Model Putter Review

Great write-up James.

It's a great looking putter with the performance to back it up. The shop at my local course carries W/S. Hopefully, they will have one of this series for me to demo.

W/S produces some great equipment. It's really too bad that, for whatever reason, their marketing never lets anyone know about it.
Thank you!

If you don’t think his name resonates with people in the segment this putter is aimed at (higher end) then you’re off base there imo. It’s more than working a lot of places, he’s been involved in monumental designs, and was Jack’s go to club maker.

I discussed the script aspect in the review essentially as you described it, the older demographic knows it as classic, the current demographic knows it was Walmart. It’s something they have got to come to terms with as a golf company Imo.
I don’t doubt players know him. I’m speaking to his ability to move someone to try or buy a product. Perhaps charisma is simply marketing a person like Titleist does with Scottie and Vokey. They are great club builders but they have an it factor I don’t see here. Perhaps Wilson agrees with me or they’d exploit this. He at least should have been acknowledged.

I don’t doubt players know him. I’m speaking to his ability to move someone to try or buy a product. Perhaps charisma is simply marketing a person like Titleist does with Scottie and Vokey. They are great club builders but they have an it factor I don’t see here. Perhaps Wilson agrees with me or they’d exploit this. He at least should have been acknowledged.
You can’t compare anyone to Scotty or Vokey, that’s apples to coconuts here in this convo.

Question though, do you think they have shown they have the wherewithal marketing wise in recent years to have made a decision not to utilize Clay based on thinking about people’s recognition. Or lack there of, or is it more likely they dropped the ball?

You can’t compare anyone to Scotty or Vokey, that’s apples to coconuts here in this convo.

Question though, do you think they have shown they have the wherewithal marketing wise in recent years to have made a decision not to utilize Clay based on thinking about people’s recognition. Or lack there of, or is it more likely they dropped the ball?
No, they have shown NO ability to market their golf brand and it was a mistake to hide Mr. Long's contribution to a great product. If the meal is good let me know who the chef is. A lot of his work was with MacGregor and Palmer's brand, ProGroup. To golfers younger to me this is means nothing. In fact i fear it only reinforces Wilson as a relic .I imagine anyone who reads my contributions knows I want Wilson to succeed more than any brand we discuss at THP.

No, they have shown NO ability to market their golf brand and it was a mistake to hide Mr. Long's contribution to a great product. If the meal is good let me know who the chef is. A lot of his work was with MacGregor and Palmer's brand, ProGroup. To golfers younger to me this is means nothing. In fact i fear it only reinforces Wilson as a relic .I imagine anyone who reads my contributions knows I want Wilson to succeed more than any brand we discuss at THP.
Trust me though, Clay is known WELL beyond those two instances.

Trust me though, Clay is known WELL beyond those two instances.
Trust me!! I’m for anything that helps Wilson Staff build their brand. The family was in Chicago for Thanksgiving. We walked by the corporate office . I wanted to run in and and scream, What the F are you folks doing. You build solid clubs and leave them hanging with marketing support that tends to sabotage the product folks efforts.

I'm a certifiable nutcase even amongst those in the lunatic fringe. I'll admit that I had no clue who Clay Long is and would wager everything I have that not a single person I know outside the internet would know either. Just mentioning his name with the release does 0 to move the needle.

I do think it's a missed opportunity though. Had Wilson educated the consumer about his resume and then tied that into this release, it could have been something.

I'm a certifiable nutcase even amongst those in the lunatic fringe. I'll admit that I had no clue who Clay Long is and would wager everything I have that not a single person I know outside the internet would know either. Just mentioning his name with the release does 0 to move the needle.

I do think it's a missed opportunity though. Had Wilson educated the consumer about his resume and then tied that into this release, it could have been something.
I’d take that bet.

Luckily I'm not counting you in the group of people that I know outside of the internet :D
I know a fair amount of golfers outside the internet too. ;)

I know a fair amount of golfers outside the internet too. ;)
I'm not doubting that you know people that know who Clay Long is. I for sure don't and I don't think I'm in the minority on that.

Out of 100 people that walk into their local golf store, how many do you think know who he is? I'd say 1/100 and that's being generous.

I'm not doubting that you know people that know who Clay Long is. I for sure don't and I don't think I'm in the minority on that.

Out of 100 people that walk into their local golf store, how many do you think know who he is? I'd say 1/100 and that's being generous.
The point was never that everyone would know him so you’re reaching there, the point was, and remains, it is an opportunity for them to make jet something very relevant that some WOULD know. It would t hurt them, but they also seemingly refuse to help themselves.

It probably was because they brought Mr. Long in as a consultant or an independent contractor. Since he’s not on the payroll they choose not to promote his contribution. It’s Wilson so that’s logical.

I’d bet the number is higher than you think. These days it’s mainly older people who walk into golf shops. The rest buy online

I think that is probably true. With that said, the golf media does and not mentioning it as even a tiny talking point during your release was what some found odd. If nothing else it adds credibility to a premium product.

I think that is probably true. With that said, the golf media does and not mentioning it as even a tiny talking point during your release was what some found odd. If nothing else it adds credibility to a premium product.
Oh I completely agree and even stated that in an earlier post. You don't need to know who he is if Wilson educated the consumer at the same time. The name is irrelevant. They could have used his resume to legitimize their product.

I rolled one of these today.. The more I mess with them the more I like them. They feel fantastic and the shapes are great..

Their blade style BL22 putter was runner up in a survey in another online publication. These guys are masters at keeping good news to themselves. The re-do of the 8802 did well too.

Their blade style BL22 putter was runner up in a survey in another online publication. These guys are masters at keeping good news to themselves. The re-do of the 8802 did well too.
I was “this close” to buying one of these yesterday. If they would have had one in 35 inch I probably would have..

Rolled the TM22 today. Looks super clean in hand. Club head is a touch smaller than I thought. Rolls the ball well. Sounds good. The Lamkin grip really finishes the putter well. A little lighter than I would like. Definitely would put heavier weights in it.

I dropped into Hunt Golf today. Mr. Hunt had his personal bag in the store so I checked out his staff putter. It’s a beautiful putter. Far nicer than my BUCKTOWN which I roll very well

👀

I dropped into Hunt Golf today. Mr. Hunt had his personal bag in the store so I checked out his staff putter. It’s a beautiful putter. Far nicer than my BUCKTOWN which I roll very well
They’re as premium as anything out there, sans that script in the pocket cavity. I remain amply impressed overall, which is even more frustrating when it comes to the W/S message.

Do we have anyone doing a season long review of these?

They’re as premium as anything out there, sans that script in the pocket cavity. I remain amply impressed overall, which is even more frustrating when it comes to the W/S message.
JMAN, I am not understanding the last sentence. What is frustrating if it works. Just wondering.

Back