ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
The US Open is heading back to Winged Foot

Great courses yes, but man the USGA just screws up every course they touch in NY and it makes me just despise the venues.

• Staff
Great courses yes, but man the USGA just screws up every course they touch in NY and it makes me just despise the venues.

I actually think Winged Foot has represented well. As did Bethpage...minus the monsoon that took place in 2009. I only wish they could get Shinnecock right, it's such a beautiful course.

Seems like a perfect place for you to wear that stupid hat @ddec

I doubt I’ll ever get the chance to play it but I’d like really like to understand the winged foot hype. It seems like a very nice course but it doesn’t seem to stick out to me much. The rough no doubt makes it very tough though.

Wish they'd have picked a different venue. Try a new place. Winged Foot doesn't provide great viewing in my opinion

I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either

Wish they'd have picked a different venue. Try a new place. Winged Foot doesn't provide great viewing in my opinion

My initial thought is that the USGA wanted to get the Open back to Winged Foot since the 2020 Open was postponed and was ultimately played later in the year under Covid restrictions.

I enjoyed the 2006 Open at Winged Foot and had tickets for 2020 before the postponement.

I thought it was a great tournament and the big golfer won for a reason. He wedged and putted it unbelievably!

Not many options left through 2051.

1673279350919.png

Would love to see Chambers Bay get another one in the 30s.

I thought it was a great tournament and the big golfer won for a reason. He wedged and putted it unbelievably!

View attachment 9149506

Some bangers here!

I doubt I’ll ever get the chance to play it but I’d like really like to understand the winged foot hype.
First off the clubhouse seems like it is half museum, half clubhouse. Great place. Also you really can't appreciate the green complexes watching it on tv. Big swales, deep bunkers, false fronts. Course is long, hard, tough-but fair. Friend of mine has won the club championship there-tests all parts of your game.

View attachment 9149506

Looks like they're developing a rota going forward.

View attachment 9149506

I would too re Chambers. Course was awesome and now that they've re done the greens it would be so good.

View attachment 9149506

I really hope they go back to Chambers. I know that course had its issues. But I loved watching the creativity these guys played with. how they would use the side banks and slopes to get the ball in positions to make putts. I'm here for that.

I really hope they go back to Chambers. I know that course had its issues. But I loved watching the creativity these guys played with. how they would use the side banks and slopes to get the ball in positions to make putts. I'm here for that.

They did some upgrades and people have been raving about it. I know it didn't lool pleasing in 2015 but it was a great US Open.

Not one of my favorite choices, I would have rather seen Bethpage again.

View attachment 9149506

I'd like to see Chambers Bay get another shot. They absolutely killed those greens and was not indicative of how they normally play from what I have read. Also I would like Whistling Straights to get one of these.

I'd like to see Chambers Bay get another shot. They absolutely killed those greens and was not indicative of how they normally play from what I have read. Also I would like Whistling Straights to get one of these.

Whistling is in the PGA realm. They usually don’t switch which is unfortunate.

I hope they can somehow get Chicago Golf Club in there. I know it's short in comparison and they don't have much land left, but it'd be awesome to see it in the rotation, I think it'd show great on TV

Am I the only one that thinks they need to find some new places?

I actually think Winged Foot has represented well. As did Bethpage...minus the monsoon that took place in 2009. I only wish they could get Shinnecock right, it's such a beautiful course.

I think they go a little nuts on the progressive rough out there, personally. Seems a bit unnecessary.

Bethpage had two years of rain, kinda didn’t give it the best representation IMO of Bethpage and how difficult but fair it can be. I think the PGA has done a better job of that, but I acknowledge they had better weather.

Eff Shinnecock every time the USGA gets there. What the hell are they doing there?

Back