Worst ball you've ever used and why?

There are a ton of junk balls out there, so I'll not comment on those. The one that I had high expectations for was ChromeSoft. I found it on the short side and irons just ate the cover alive. Later, I found Snell and fell in love. Distance and accuracy! Still play them.

Kirkland - they never last more than 2 strokes before they go in the water or in the deep underbrush.

Top Flite, Pinnacle, etc. all last 9-10 holes at least!

Pinnacle rocks....I mean balls

I love Titleist ProV1's so this is not a knock on the company, but their non-permium balls are generally bad. The DT Trusoft is a particularly bad looking and feeling golf ball at any price. The Tour Speed is the worst urethane ball I have hit of all on the market. They are just not good products.

I had the same reaction regarding the Tour Speeds. I use a couple of sleeves that I have in the basement for winter putting and chipping. However, in my last few rounds last year, in the fall, I switched from yellow balls back to white. I played my last 23 holes last year with a Tour Speed.

What were the layers? Hard, harder, & hardest?
Something like that. They were just horrible, but for $3 a dozen, I figured why not. They spun like crazy off the driver, and didn't spin at all around the greens. I think I might have 1 or 2 left. I hated them. I thought I just was having a horrible golf day, but changed out on the back 9, nope, it wasn't me. It was the balls.

I never played Nitros... I've found a few over the years though... I leave them where I find them... in the rough, weeds, and water hazards.:ROFLMAO:

Slazenger Raw Distance... man that brings back some memories. I used to play those balls. I never noticed the lack of compression or whatever... but they sure amplified a slice.:oops:

Dunlop DDH, Top Flite X-outs, and most other cheap balls... I don't know... they might have been bad but I didn't notice really. I guess it's my lack of overall awareness or something or maybe it was my lousy clubs. I just accepted it as part of the game. Maybe that's why I played Wilson Duo, Wilson 50 elite, and those types of balls... cheap-ish but not TOO cheap.

I must be an oddity. I play Top-Flites all the time. I hit them farther than any ball out there, and I have no problem stopping them on the greens. I love em!!:)

I must be an oddity. I play Top-Flites all the time. I hit them farther than any ball out there, and I have no problem stopping them on the greens. I love em!!:)
Some of the newer Top Flites are decent, I think most posters on this thread are referring to old models :)

Nitro has to be at the top of the list. I won two dozen of them at a charity scramble, tried them, and couldn't give them away fast enough. I would have been better off picking rocks out of the waste areas and hitting them.

The old Top Flite XLs were bad, any and every model of them. Pinnacle Golds are right up there too. I don't ever buy anything Nike, but I've played a couple found Mojos as water balls, and they're near the top of the garbage heap as well.

If the temp was below 70, you were in for a terrible day :(

What were the issues with the RZN ball that people were having?
I’ve played them in 30 degree Wisconsin spring weather and 95 degree summer heat and I’ve personally never had an issue. I still have 16 or 17 dozen of the last RZN Platinums they made that I occasionally play. According to my GC2 they are the spinniest golf ball I’ve ever found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponge Bob balls.

Worst ball that I used and actually liked once I got used to it was the mighty MOJO. I played them for almost 8 years.

My stepdad always buys me golf balls for my birthday (July) and Christmas. One year for Christmas I got 4 dozen MOJOs and thought I said how exited I was in a sarcastic enough way that is was obvious but I was wrong.

For the next 6 years that was all he was buying me. Once I put them into play (I had a 12dz stockpile and didn't want to buy balls) I realized it was a decent enough ball except the cover would not last. I could get 5-8 holes before they were toast but since they were so cheap you just move on to the next one. Hit one in the woods and you don't have to feel bad about not looking for it. If it's been a while since you played and you are spraying OB every other tee shot you don't even care vs losing $4 premium balls.

During that time I learned a lot about my game because it was the first time I consistently used the same ball which removed another variable.

Not the worst ball, just most disappointing. Loved the original Bridgestone e6 ball. When the next iteration e6, and subsequent versions, came out they were not the same feel or performance. Couldn't believe the difference.

Someone gave me a box of those Slazenger Raw Distance (or maybe won them in a raffle)….. They were not optimal for me.

In the "balls perceived as not the best for performance" category... A friend of mine, well over 65 yrs of age, is a 6 or 7 handicap. He plays Wilson Ultras, exclusively paired with his Warrior woods and irons and can hit just about every shot in the bag. I hate to admit to myself that it reinforces the old adage that "it's the archer, not the arrow"

I guess I don't have a "worst" ball. As a kid I mostly played Top Flite XL and Wilson Platinum Titanium whatever and as long as the ball covers weren't scratched up I'd play it because I didn't know the difference. Maybe if I tried those two balls today I'd shake my head and think "what was I thinking playing these."

I've used and liked ChromeSoft, project (A), and DT TruSoft that have been mentioned in this thread. While they all performed differently I didn't find any of them to be awful.

Worst ball that I used and actually liked once I got used to it was the mighty MOJO. I played them for almost 8 years.

My stepdad always buys me golf balls for my birthday (July) and Christmas. One year for Christmas I got 4 dozen MOJOs and thought I said how exited I was in a sarcastic enough way that is was obvious but I was wrong.

For the next 6 years that was all he was buying me. Once I put them into play (I had a 12dz stockpile and didn't want to buy balls) I realized it was a decent enough ball except the cover would not last. I could get 5-8 holes before they were toast but since they were so cheap you just move on to the next one. Hit one in the woods and you don't have to feel bad about not looking for it. If it's been a while since you played and you are spraying OB every other tee shot you don't even care vs losing $4 premium balls.

During that time I learned a lot about my game because it was the first time I consistently used the same ball which removed another variable.
Unrelated but I loved Mojo's back in the day. Apparently they had appeal with parents too because my mom would always buy me a couple dozen for my birthday :LOL:

Vista (back in the early 80's when yellow balls came out). Shanked one into the maintenance area and hit a snow plow, the ball split in two.

Another vote for the Nitro. I hated that ball. I won some at a golf tournament and tried to give them away right after I picked them up and no one would take them off my hands. Took them to Goodwill.

Just about anything from the early and mid 90's. When the Pro V1 came out it was truly a game changer, but prior to that the ball was just not that great in general. Even the Titleist Pro 90's, was about as good as it got when I was playing in college until 2001 when they came out.

Add me to the list of people with sore wrist from hitting Nitros. Played them for a bit when first starting since I would lose 12+ balls a round. 😳

Cut Blue. They perform like they’re named, and you’ll end up with cuts on the ball.

Back