Worst Breach of Etiquette

RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
What is the worst breach of golf etiquette as you see it? One or two things, maybe. I would say walking in the line of someone else's putt. What would it be for you?

Toss up between walking in the putting line or someone talking while addressing the ball.

I am going to lump Slow Play into etiquette, just for S&G.

It irritates people, slows up the course, and the most irritating slow players are the ones that know (and get told to speed up) and just don't care.

To me, everything else might affect one person, or maybe a foursome. Slow Play affects not only that group, but can affect multiple groups, and in the worst scenarios potentially an entire course worth of players.

Farting in the backswing. Bonus points if they are downwind of the farter. Sorry, had to.

Seriously, I say, intentionally damaging the course, and talking in the backswing, maybe not helping look for a ball (if you all are in close proximity).

Stepping in someone's putting line multiple times will probably get among the most forceful complaints in my experience. So that would definitely be up there....I've seen some big arguments on that over the years

I would say collecting chestnuts in a bag and then throwing them at someone while they are trying to hit would also be up there

Back in grade school, a friend would spit into the cup after finishing out his putt. I made my displeasure known quickly. :sick:

Small, yet annoying things that are breaches, like walking in a line or dragging a putter head on the green are one thing. I think damaging the course is huge, but too general.

Specifically, the biggest one for me is people who driver their carts near or on the green.

My home course has GPS trackers and warnings go off when a person goes inside of the 'No Carts' sign, but still see plenty of people driver their carts right up to the putting surface.

Disrespecting the course by intentionally damaging it.

I would say collecting chestnuts in a bag and then throwing them at someone while they are trying to hit would also be up there
That sounds very specific :ROFLMAO:

Hitting into the group ahead of you, especially if they are on the green, has resulted in more altercations on the course than anything else that I’ve witnessed.

Also on the disrespecting the course bandwagon.

I think that walking in ones line gets overblown, especially on the public greens that I play. Also, talking during a swing doesn't bother me as long as it's not loud and sudden during the swing.

Anything that damages the course - especially the green. Slamming putters into the green is st the top of my list!

damaging the greens. close second is slow play. walking in someone's line is rude, but i always think about dave pelz saying the data suggests a lot of good putts that should go in don't, and a lot of bad putts that shouldn't go in do. so will a small indentation from a brief step really make that much of a difference?

Helicoptering your club and almost hitting someone.:eek:😕😕😕😕

Being slow.😕😕😕

Not repairing your pitch marks 😕😕

Not fixing your pitch mark on the green...that really burns me.

Divots is a key area of bad etiquette. I'll fix way more divots than I make. Empty the sand bottle etc. Leaving the course in better shape than you find it is my motto.

Damaging the course.

This! With the influx of people to the game the courses actually look worse. Massive divots, walking through bunkers, not fixing ball marks, etc.

Had a friend slam his putter into the green 20 yrs ago. And he did not repair it sufficiently. The next group harassed him.:)

Yes, damaging the course- bad.😕

Using a cart and tearing up the rough or fairway is :mad:

Toss up between walking in someone's putting line or talking during the backswing.

Edit to add purposely damaging the course isn't an etiquette issue imo it's more of a criminal issue.

I understand it’s frowned upon to walk in someone’s line, but I never seen why it’s such a big deal. Biggest issue is purposely hitting into a group ahead of you.

This! With the influx of people to the game the courses actually look worse. Massive divots, walking through bunkers, not fixing ball marks, etc.

This.

Since Covid began, I've seen at least double the number of unrepaired pitch marks. Sucks.

I would have to agree with not fixing ball marks on the green, and carrying on a conversation while someone is trying to play a shot.

I would put damaging the course high on the list. Slow play would be up there as well. Those two are macro level things though. Within my group for me personally it would be moving around/making noise while I am hitting. Unfortunately I have the focus of a 2 month old puppy.

Generally stepping in my line doesn't bother me all that much. Everyone wears soft spikes these days and particularly near the hole unless you are the first group out you probably didn't mess up the line. That doesn't mean I walk in someone's line but it doesn't rattle me that much.

Back