Would HS boys beat LPGA pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun, look at the results from last week's Diamond Resorts tournament. Celebrities and LPGA players, playing the same course, same tees. John Smoltz (a plus handicap) won the celebrity event. I got 15 players deep (out of 26) on the LPGA side before I found someone he would have beaten in Stableford. They can flat out play...

The HS boys would have no chance. Im honestly surprised that a bunch of HS hockey players beat the USA womens team. My bet is that the USA women didnt take them seriously.
Even still, hockey isnt golf and the LPGA players would destroy any HS team because the HS kids dont have the mental game. Sure, they can drive it 300 yards but can they sink a 4' putt when they have to and everything is on the line? My guess is no.

The only way I see a boys team winning. You assemble a team of the 7 best HS senior golfers in the US.

The top twenty ranked 14 to 18 year old boys players are better than any LPGA player. Much longer, hit it consistently more solid, shoot lower scores on longer courses etc....However, I doubt many of the top ranked boys juniors even play for their high school team. Some do, but most would rather practice on their own, play individual tournament golf etc...
Most US high school boys golf teams have one or two guys that consistently break 40 for the nine hole matches.
any of this actual fact that you can link, or purely your opinion.

We've got high school coaches in the thread laughing at the idea of an LPGA player getting beat. I've seen plenty of high school kids playing who were strong players of their team and would get obliterated.

I mean, are we talking super elite high school boys? ie Like Spieth or JT when they were junior golf phenoms? Yeah, then maybe they'd have a chance, but otherwise the LPGA ladies are taking this easily, they are machines, used to pressure situations, and just insanely good.

Your talking about a male pro beating a female pro, huge difference between that and a high schooler trying to take on a pro. Not even the same argument.

Actually Serena is the best tennis woman of all time. A
Yeah the tennis reference was a head scratcher. ?
It's not a head scratcher at all. Serena would get beat by the 500th. Ranked male. And she isn't he best of this generation, she's the best of all time.

Take 4 hs golf prgrprograms in America that are solid and put them against the top 20 LPgaLPGA from the tips and I think it would be close.

(yyes, Warroad is generally a solid team, but I recall that being a down year for them...AAND they had to completely alter their game to play USA - no checking) and still beat arguably the best assembled women on the planet at their game. Hs boys, yes.

How much do you think LPGA players would get beat by high school-aged boys?

Local high school hockey team here (not an all star team - just a local town's team) beat the USA women's team by a score of 3 to 2. Mind you, the boys had to alter their game entirely as there was no hitting allowed (obviously), and the boys would have been used to using their checking to their ability. This was just a regular team - not an all star team - of high school aged boys and they took down the best women's hockey team on the planet (or at least second best).

So if high school boys played LPGA players, how do you think the results would be? Or do you think LPGA players would beat them handily?

The LPGA players would crush the high schoolers. Those women are players! They can move the ball.

Take any of the top-5 hs teams in MN right now and play them against the US (oor Canada) women and I personally think they would destroy them.

Just the length alone of HS boys would give them a profound advantage. I'm thinking average HS boy drives it over 300. Average on LPGA is?....260?

Their is no way the average HS boy drives it over 300. I seriously doubt whether the ”average” HS boy drives it 250.

Take any of the top-5 hs teams in MN right now and play them against the US (oor Canada) women and I personally think they would destroy them.

I am pretty much done with this thread. This is just crazy talk. You obviously have never seen a top LPGA pro hit the ball.

Why are we talking about hockey again? Is this thread a round-a-boot way to get people talking about hockey?

The top high school teams would stand no chance. I do think that a team of the top ranked high school players in the country would have a chance though. Most of them will be heading to major D1 schools and can flat out play.

My friend set the course record at a course here in town at 17 when they were members. He set it with a 59 on a par 70 course. It held up about 7 years until it was broken by the current Head Pro, Ben Kern. Ben is a great player and in 2018 won the Texas State Open which got him into the PGA Championship where he finished T-42. He also won some Top Golf event that year.

Top high school players in the country and probably even some of the big golf states like Florida, California, Texas, etc. would be able to shoot really low. I think they would definitely have a chance to beat LPGA players.

LPGA courses aren't 7500 yard monsters. The average course I see from week-to-week on the LPGA is quite tame, IMO.
From personal experience as a HS coach. Average HS course is shorter than LPGA tournament set ups. High school state championships and div 1 guidelines usually dictate around a 6800 yard set up depending on slope And that’s the only time they play it that long, usually closer to 6400. For example in NY the state championship is at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Cornell Univ. it plays at 6800, and out of 80 or so qualifiers less Than 10 break 80 both days and only once every few years does more than one golfer shoot par or better. (2 rounds). LPGA golfers will beat almost all HS golfers. The elite Jr’s usually don’t play HS, go to an elite sports specific academy (IMG,etc.) or are homeschooled and just play all the time. you Would be better served comparing LPGA players to div 1 collegiate men’s teams. I would say an LPGA player would be equal to average player on teams ranked 25 and below (with some exceptions)

Why are we talking about hockey again? Is this thread a round-a-boot way to get people talking about hockey?

Just pointing out that hs athletes beat the best women on the planet in a form of athletics.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see the result of the LPGAers. agagainst solid hs boys. I personally think it would be close.

I don’t think a high schooler would hang with LPGA.
The mental ability to perform at pro level I think would crush the high schooler.

I don’t think a high schooler would hang with LPGA.
The mental ability to perform at pro level I think would crush the high schooler.
Course management alone would give the LPGA player a 3-4 shot advantage before they even hit a shot.

Whole lot of Brie Larson haters up in this thread it seems.

Anyone that is going to come in here and bold faced claim that High School golfers would school LPGA players based solely on perceive driving distance is making the claim based on factors unrelated to the game of golf.

Anyone that is going to come in here and bold faced claim that High School golfers would school LPGA players based solely on perceive driving distance is making the claim based on factors unrelated to the game of golf.
There have been only like two people, not counting OP, that think it would be any kind of close. And they even put in stipulations that it would have to be like top 10 HS boys in the nation. Everyone here is pretty firmly on the LPGA players side.

There have been only like two people, not counting OP, that think it would be any kind of close. And they even put in stipulations that it would have to be like top 10 HS boys in the nation. Everyone else here is pretty firmly on the LPGA players side.

That warroad team wasn't top 10, and they were forced to downplay (rremove checking), not the other way around. They still beat them. ;)

I think of your hockey comparison and think of the time when a HS Boys Soccer team in Dallas, U-15 I think beat the US Women's National Team. It was more of a practice for the women's and not something where they went all out or whatever.
USWNT have been getting waxed by nationally ranked U15 boys club teams going back 10 years. At U15 the nationally ranked boys teams have already gone through puberty and are stronger, faster and more athletic than the women players. To say they weren’t trying is full of BS!

Golf is different in that the short game and putting are great equalizer to length advantage off the tee.

That warroad team wasn't top 10, and they were forced to downplay (rremove checking), not the other way around. They still beat them. ;)
You keep coming back to hockey to back up your argument. It has been pretty discussed why that comparison (or any team sport comparison) isn't an apples to apples thing here.

Last edited:
You keep coming back to hockey to back up your argument. It has been pretty discussed why that comparison (or any team sport comparison) isn't an apples to apples thing here.
Few examples. Billy Jean vs. Old man doesn't really work for comparison purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back