Would it bother you if a random you're playing with lied about their score?

Chasing72

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Just curious, so I was out with a new meetup group today and was playing a round with two other guys and one of them was blatantly lying about his scores. Example there was a par 3 over water (hole 17) and he put 3 balls in the water, then took a drop in the drop zone closer to the hole (finally), then hit that twice to get to the green and then two putted but proceed to claim a 7.

It wasn't just this hole he did it on a lot of them. Now I know it doesn't actually affect me, I'm not playing a match against him for any reward and realistically the only person being fooled is him as he'll never truly know when he is getting any better, but it annoyed me more when he was "chirping" at me and the other guy playing.

Last edited:
Does it bother me? Yes. Does it bother me enough to make a case out of it? No. Unless the guy is talking aout how good he is and nothing but talk. Then I might make some snarky comments.

Does it bother me... Nope... If he wants to log a great score for himself go for it. I keep track of my score and my score alone. Maybe he plays once a year and this is a great time for him.(y)?:cool:

I'm not ruining a stranger's day

Whatever score someone claims does not bother me.

Nope. That’s his thing...has nothing to do with me.

Doesn’t really bother me unless they are laying claim to a better score for the purpose of winning some sort of prize I don’t really care what you write on the card. We both know what your really did.

Lying about their score is actually a good thing. It’s like having bumper stickers on their car and it allows you to know you don’t want to be friends with them without having to get to know them first.

Just curious, so I was out with a new meetup group today and was playing a round with two other guys and one of them was blatantly lying about his scores. Example there was a par 3 over water (hole 17) and he put 3 balls in the water, then took a drop in the drop zone closer to the hole (finally), then hit that twice to get to the green and then two putted but proceed to claim a 7.

It wasn't just this hole he did it on a lot of them. Now I know it doesn't actually affect me, I'm not playing a match against him for any reward and realistically the only person being fooled is him as he'll never truly know when he is getting any better, but it annoyed me more when he was "chirping" at me and the other guy playing.
I'd teach that guy about ESC hahaha

No, it definitely doesn't bother me. What people want to post is what people want to post.

Nope, it doesn't bother me. It is his conscience and he will have to deal with it.

Wouldn't bother me a bit. They are not lying to me. They are lying to themselves.

It's just me having a good time, playing against whatever my swing, and the course throws at me.

Besides, after two, or three holes, we all know what kind of golfers we all are.

Keep a proper score or don't but if you don't, stfu about it at the 19th hole.

Coupla years ago, this fellow I played with for the first time was sweeping away 4 footers all day calling 'em close enough for himself. I didn't give a rat's except afterward in the bar he was talking about his 82. :unsure:

I have a hard enough time keeping track of all my strokes without worrying about what someone else puts down.

Was it a money game where it mattered? If not, I don’t really mind. It could be the score he would enter into the system for the hole.

yes and no if it was scoring round absolutely, if not don't care. When I play I take score. if you give a score that is questionable Ill take it but the next hole I'm counting your strokes if you lie to me I tell them to use there own card and won't sign it.

There was this time at a local course we played at where there was two guys asked to jump in to mine and @PatsFan tee time. We did rather well its one of the best rounds we both had at the time. Where the other two were out spraying the ball around the course they were left / right/ but never in the center. I did not take their score, but I overheard them say that was a good round. one was 41 and the other 44 we were both had a round with 45 and 46. I was pissed a little after I heard that its a gentlemen game where is the honor. how do you take people like that seriously. I just started and I would never lie knowingly. I'm sure there was time when i first started that I was hitting 8 on a par 4 and it could of been 9 after 6 i get really frustrated and blow up. thanks for listening to my rant

What he puts on his card doesn’t concern me if we are not competitors to having a match. What would bother me was that he teed it up 4 times on the same hole...o_O

Nah. Their life, not mine.

You said a 'new meetup group' though. If it became a regular meetup, we'd probably have to have a chat.

Well he was considering the 2nd and 3rd tee shots as mulligans, dropped from his original and so on

So frankly I wouldn't care but moreso would if he were holding up pace of play .. it is what it is, only person he's messing is his own handicap ... But then again any of us who allow a mulligan or such also do that to a degree

thats a 10 right
2 2 2 1111 right we don't play many courses with water it is a 2 stroke penalty right

Nope to each their own. Only hurt the person logging a falsified score.

It doesnt bother me...

Unless they try and belittle my score by comparing. My old boss would easily quick rake and pick up to the tune of 5-6 shots per round so when he tied or beat me I would bite my lip REALLY hard.

The only score that bothers me is my own.

But..... start talking trash about how you scored better than me when you are a bit stingy on you scoring, then we have a problem lol.

This forum brings my memory to the famous "don't count that commercial"... That would bother me.

Or if you brag about how good you played at so and so course, just a really an off day. No fly zones!

That would not bother me at all. I would be playing him so no skin off my back. He would just be hurting himself, so I would just laugh about it and keep going with my game.

Whether it’s a complete random or someone I know really well, I couldn’t care less what they write down as lto no as we aren’t in some sort of match.

golf is a game where adults forget how to count.

DYSCALCULIA. He may have to see a Doctor about his condition. :eat::drinks:

Back