Would Jack Nicklaus Dominate the Tour Today?

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
With the new equipment and ball....I say yes...and YES! What say you? If not Jack...who? BTW...Jack at 20 years old.

Last edited:
No, he's too old.

Assuming you are meaning Jack in his prime vs. today's crop with the same equipment, I say no chance he would dominate. The parity and number of players that play at a high level are much greater now than back in the day.

Assuming you are meaning Jack in his prime vs. today's crop with the same equipment, I say no chance he would dominate. The parity and number of players that play at a high level are much greater now than back in the day.

Besides all that, if you throw in Jack in his prime, I'm assuming we're gonna compare every golfer ever... in their prime... in which case everyone should just forego the youth treatments needed to get back to their prime because no one stands a chance against the 2000 Tiger.

Besides all that, if you throw in Jack in his prime, I'm assuming we're gonna compare every golfer ever... in their prime... in which case everyone should just forego the youth treatments needed to get back to their prime because no one stands a chance against the 2000 Tiger.

I edited the post so no one assumes an 80 year old Jack.

I think the caliber of the competition is much better and significantly more players in the mix week to week.

Gotcha. :angel: So, we're talking about Jack before he even turned pro. I'm still gonna say no. Heck, Tiger already had 6 USGA titles by that same age. :clown:

And Tiger is not on-track to match Nicklaus's Major wins. But who's counting?

And Tiger is not on-track to match Nicklaus's Major wins. But who's counting?

Last I checked, Tiger's win percentage in majors was better than Jack's.

MUCH better...

Jack in his prime was well before my day, but I’m gonna say no.

#FiberLaunch

Jack in his prime was well before my day, but I’m gonna say no.

#FiberLaunch

Well...FYI....Nicklaus cranked a 341-yard blast to win the PGA Championship's long drive competition in 1963 with the “old ball.” When he was 18 years old. That beats the 2014 pro long drive contest. Imagine new tech and balls?

No. His putting was very handsy, which would not translate to modern, super-fast greens consistently. He doesn't scramble as well as many, especially from sand.

In addition, in his prime he was a decent athlete, but nothing like the fitness freaks of today's PGA.

LOL! Fitness freaks! A young Nicklaus would put these guys in a headlock and they'd cry uncle.

Probably doesn’t dominate, no. Things are just different - not better just different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack in his prime would win a fair bit. Not dominate. Too many highly skilled players now

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Well...FYI....Nicklaus cranked a 341-yard blast to win the PGA Championship's long drive competition in 1963 with the “old ball.” When he was 18 years old. That beats the 2014 pro long drive contest. Imagine new tech and balls?

I’m not disputing Jack’s talents, and I have no doubt he’d be highly successful. I just don’t think he would dominate like he did. Who knows for sure though.

#FiberLaunch

I’m not disputing Jack’s talents, and I have no doubt he’d be highly successful. I just don’t think he would dominate like he did. Who knows for sure though.

#FiberLaunch

On the flipside, I'd like to see the current tour players play with 1963 equipment.

But...short in total.

Well, when you have nearly twice as many chances, you're likely gonna win a couple more.

Their head to head record in majors stands at Tiger 16 - Jack 5 - Tie 1 (Tiger WD/Jack MC) with Tiger winning 7 times when he played the same major as Jack. Jack never won a major that Tiger entered. Coincidence?

:blob:

Jack had a terrible short game. It might be kinda ugly for him on some courses with longer rough and faster greens.

I don't know. Knicklaus' career covered some prolific multi-major winning players. Watson, Trevino, Miller, Player, Palmer, etc.

Back