Would Smart Sole Lower Your Scores?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
If you replaced your GW, SW, LW, and another club of your choosing with the entire Cleveland Smart Sole-Full Face line up (GW,SW,LW,C), would your scores drop? I believe the majority of golfers would see lower scores if they gamed these clubs. Would this line up help you?

IMG_1590.jpeg

Maybe

My strokes gained drop a good bit last year when I switched wedges so I am hesitant to move. However, there is a part of me that really want to try this out purely from a concept standpoint. I think it would be fascinating to see the results.

My answer is yes, because they did help me wedge game tremendously. Love the smart sole wedges, so much. Makes difficult shots less difficult.

CBX is as far as I can go. I need to be able to manipulate the face a bit even in the lower lofts.

Doubtful. And in synergy with another conversation (@War Eagle), those are hideous and I couldn't play them! :ROFLMAO:
I said the same, YEARS ago, but I have kept one around for nearly 10 years because it simplifies the wedge game.

My initial answer was no - I had them in the past as I mentioned in the announcement thread, and they were too "one trick" for me and I ended up going lower once I learned better technique to be spread across multiple wedges for more variety of shots.

That said - I think this new iteration probably has a lot more versatility, so I'm more in the neutral to maybe territory.

If you replaced your GW, SW, LW, and another club of your choosing with the entire Cleveland Smart Sole-Full Face line up (GW,SW,LW,C), would your scores drop? I believe the majority of golfers would see lower scores if they gamed these clubs. Would this line up help you?

View attachment 9238253
In my case these look too gimmicky so no.

I am curious what ball striking problem the majority of golfers have that would be improved by using these clubs thus leading to lower scores.

I am curious what ball striking problem the majority of golfers have that would be improved by using these clubs thus leading to lower scores.
I'd speculate that it's less a ball striking problem and more a thinking problem. Trying to get too cute with shots. These force one to keep it simple, leading to better ballstriking, and better scores. At least in theory.

I am not sure if it would or not...

I’ve never played smart sole but the concept seems a lot like the Cobra Snakebite X which definitely helped me out. I would have to think these would be an improvement over my traditional wedges

I'd speculate that it's less a ball striking problem and more a thinking problem. Trying to get too cute with shots. These force one to keep it simple, leading to better ballstriking, and better scores. At least in theory.
OK I can see that. Promoting a better mental game.

In my experience lower scoring with wedges comes from working on distance control and dialing in a repeatable shot with a favorite club or clubs.

These clubs look to be designed to make poor ground contact happen less often. I'm not sure what else they offer that would correlate to lower scoring.

my short game is by far the best part of my game and I like to get pretty creative with it. I think these might cause me some serious problems.

What the Smart Sole line offers is a sole design that allows slightly mishit shots to achieve respectable results. And mishit chips-pitches-bunker shots are very common, especially from rough, hard pan, sloped, or other less-than-ideal lies. So, even the most highly skilled players , when playing from less than ideal lies, can benefit from Smart Sole clubs.

It's not an easy no for me. While I have all the shots these offer, I can't say with 100% certainty that simplifying into this setup wouldn't reduce my around the green game.

OK I can see that. Promoting a better mental game.

In my experience lower scoring with wedges comes from working on distance control and dialing in a repeatable shot with a favorite club or clubs.

These clubs look to be designed to make poor ground contact happen less often. I'm not sure what else they offer that would correlate to lower scoring.
Seems we are of similar mind. This set-up would allow for one to always take a face on shot, so in theory a more repeatable shot. Sure, you give up some of the versatility of opening or closing a face, but if you aren't consistent is that needed? (In theory...)

These clubs look to be designed to make poor ground contact happen less often.
You are correct, but consider all the bad lies that happen near a green. Sloped, hard pan, muddy, soft ground, grassy rough, pine needles, rocky-pebbly dirt, soft sand, hard packed sand etc...

It wouldn’t for me personally. Buuuuuuut, I’m not the average answer I know.

I do know they are a lot of fun.

I've not played with them, so I couldn't tell you for sure. I wouldn't be against a heads up comparison, but my wedge game isn't my weakness right now so while it could improve.

maybe, I did love my transition to the cbx2 gap wedge from a standard blade. I would have to test these out compared to my normal wedge setup

I tried the original and couldn't hit them at all. Bladed everything and couldn't get the ball airborne. I think if they had a low bounce option in the 50*, I'd give it another try.

This is a great question @Thrillbilly Jim!

I have contemplated the same several times. I would say no right now just because I recently switched to Snakebite X and those have really provided a lot of help to me so not sure I could get much more. Also I don’t really struggle with chipping so I wouldn’t benefit much from the chipper.

Back