Would You Do Your Own Club Work?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?

If I had the time and the space I would certainly consider it

For sure I would do my own work....no question

I love doing most of my own club work. I don’t mess with loft and lie but I probably would if I had the tools

You better believe I would, love tinkering and getting my hands dirty.

I stripped the oil pan on my old motorcycle by turning the torque wrench the wrong way because I was looking down at it vs laying on the ground and looking right at it... So that's a hard no to club work

Definitely. I have the space and the desire. I plan to start small for next season and at least do my own gripping.

I think so. The times I have regripped clubs was fun and felt very rewarding, can only imagine building and even adjusting lie/lofts would be just as fun too, maybe even more.

No. I would be afraid that with the first swing at a ball, the club head would go farther than the ball.

Yep. I used to do everything myself but sold all my stuff when I quit playing a few years ago

If I had the tools I would love to handle my own club work (re-grip, change shafts, L/L/L adjustments, swingweight adjustments, etc), but for how infrequent I currently make those adjustments it is not cost effective to make the capital expenditure on the tools.

Yes, I would definitely do it. I just don't want to invest in all the tools. I am going to get a vice and a club holder t start doing my own grips though. I used to do that when I was a teen working at a golf course so I already have the skills. I also have an air compressor so I would be interested in doing the blown on variety.

Oh yeah, looking at starting to do more club work for myself and possibly others in my area.

Just say no to air. :D
So the old fashioned mineral spirits and 2-sided tape is still the way to go?

Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?
Absolutely.

Slowly getting my workshop set up. I still need a loft/lie machine and a grip station for the most part.

I think it would be a lot of fun to do my own club work... I think it would be fun to tinker.

I have and I’d continue to do so if I had a more legit set up and need for it. But thanks to OEMs broadening shaft options, there’s not a lot of need for me to keep all the stuff in stock, buy new shafts and, do the work myself. I would like to get a shaft puller though as I am still not sure what type of driver/woods shaft I should be using and still go through a few every year. Iron wise, I have 3 or so I know work really well for me and are usually offered by most OEMs.

Just say no to air. :D

Haha I do blow on my own grips, but that may come to an end soon if I switch to the GP zgrip as they’re cord and I’d be afraid to mess them up after watching the video y’all did a while back.

Oh yeah. In a heartbeat.

So the old fashioned mineral spirits and 2-sided tape is still the way to go?

Or grip solvent. Far better. Especially if there is any cord involved. Plus, the exactness is so much easier to achieve.

Absolutely! I've regripped clubs many times over the years, but have not done much more than that. As a teenager, I worked at Rio Pinar CC in Orlando, FL. Mainly I picked the range every night, but I did get to refinish a persimmon 3-wood and I learned how to re-whip (really dating myself here...) and reshaft clubs. It was very satisfying work!

"If I had the tools" is where it all ends though. I've never had enough of an interest to make those investments.

I absolutely would. I've been looking into some of the equipment and while I haven't bought any yet I do plan to at least regrip all of my clubs this winter/spring. I don't know how far into it I want to get but I think it would be fun to be able to do all of the minor adjustments at home.

I would and I do. I do the best I can. If I ever get a bigger garage and/or basement I will only expand. I find it cathartic for some reason - I should've tried harder to get a job in the industry, LOL.

If I had the tools and the space I probably wood. But I may tinker to much then.

Back