Would You Have a Putter Modified?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've had this debate quite a bit recently about the extent I would go to change a putter to my preference. As many have followed with on the forum, I've wanted to get a long neck blade putter for some time, but I've struggled to pull the trigger by sending any of my current stock away for an 'alteration' at one of the many shops who can change basic plumber necks to long necks or flow necks etc.

In my journey, I've been entertained by some of the larger modifications to heads that got no love a short while ago (Scotty's Detour as an example) - going to the extent of actually having the sole wiped clean (which looks fantastic).

1589299219893.png

Got me thinking about products like the Toulon model, where they are named after cities. Easy (somewhat costly) solution to being able to game the "Columbus" while still maintaining your Michigan fandom hahaha

Also, the milling. This one is a bit harder because the milling alters a big part about what makes the putter, the putter. That said, some of these shops are introducing some absolutely fantastic milling options for putters.

How far would you go?

Last edited:
I’ve done it before. Had a PING altered with new neck and sole weights ported in. Also had an old TP Mills face re-milled.

Myself I'm not that specific when it comes to features/design of a putter. But I can honestly say that if I wanted something specific but couldn't find it on the open market, I wouldn't hesitate to start with the closest I could find and have it modified. I don't think I could take a highly collectible model and put it under the knife, but one of the benefits of life is that if you can imagine it, someone can make it for you. I say go for it!

I have had some putters refinished with varying results. Never really had one modified though.

Got me thinking about products like the Toulon model, where they are named after cities. Easy (somewhat costly) solution to being able to game the "Columbus" while still maintaining your Michigan fandom hahaha

How far would you go?

Not that far.....I would always know it's ohio

If I had the disposable income, I have a "dream" putter I would like to create, but price is keeping me on the sidelines at this point. Some great options out there to get a putter customized to your preference.

Probably too pricey for my income level, but I have considered it if I ever win the lottery. That probably won't happen though since I never buy lottery tickets.

I don't care about aesthetics as much. I can 3-putt with a plumbers neck, long neck, middle hosel, blade, mallet, etc. it really doesn't matter. So no I wouldn't. Not unless I wanted to rechrome or touch up one of my classic Scotty's to display (y)

if your wanting to alter that putter pictured, the neck, i wouldnt do it.
im wondering why you cant just order a custom one rather than altering an existing?

I don't think I would modify a putter beyond Loft Length and Lie, or changing the grip.

Maybe some paintfill, but other than that I would just buy a new one.

I doubt I’d modify a design, but I’d send one in for refinishing. I’d like my current Spider Tour to be all matte black, but I haven’t put much thought into actually doing it or sending it off to have it done.

The biggest problem becomes cost in my eyes. Once I buy a putter that is something close then send it off to be "refinished" I could probably spend a little extra and get a custom from someone.

if your wanting to alter that putter pictured, the neck, i wouldnt do it.
im wondering why you cant just order a custom one rather than altering an existing?
Well, let's say it's a Scotty Cameron Buttonback that you want;

The Buttonbacks were worth about 500 slightly used not 5-6 years ago. Then some guy named Brooks starting winning majors with one, and suddenly they are worth 1,200. Detours 5-6 years ago were worth 80 bucks. Now they are worth a couple hundred, and then a couple more hundred to modify into the Buttonback design.

So, it's effectively a knockoff (sort of) for a third of the price. Not that you could custom order a Scotty even if you wanted to, but if you could, the price I am sure would be no less than 3k starting. This whole process is just getting around it.

Outside of length and grip, I would probably do some stamping with paint fill but that's about it. That blank sole does look fantastic though.

I think some of the mods are really eye catching and some are over the top. I suppose I would do it, just never thought much about it.

I don't think I could take the putter pictured and have it altered. I think it is better to have it built originally the way you want if possible.

If there was a specific design that I was looking for and couldn’t source, I wouldn’t hesitate. It’s part of the game to me... I’d probably have to save my allowance for awhile though.

I wouldn't. Only because I really don't care all that much. Which I know sounds bad.

I guess I'm just not that into putters. If a putter had some feature I really couldn't stand, I'd buy a different putter. I can see adding stamping, changing paint fill or whatever, but if it required much more beyond that to be acceptable to me, I'd be moving on to another putter.

Well, let's say it's a Scotty Cameron Buttonback that you want;

The Buttonbacks were worth about 500 slightly used not 5-6 years ago. Then some guy named Brooks starting winning majors with one, and suddenly they are worth 1,200. Detours 5-6 years ago were worth 80 bucks. Now they are worth a couple hundred, and then a couple more hundred to modify into the Buttonback design.

So, it's effectively a knockoff (sort of) for a third of the price. Not that you could custom order a Scotty even if you wanted to, but if you could, the price I am sure would be no less than 3k starting. This whole process is just getting around it.
lol omgoodness im just putting 2 and 2 together, getting a detour and altering it into a buttonback.......... o_O

I dont think I would modify a putter. In the past I haven't stuck to a putter long enough to warrant needing a modification.

I think if I wanted a different putter, I would just go out and buy something like what I wanted.

If I couldn't find what I wanted then I'd get something close and tweak it... like the buttonback you're wanting. It wouldn't even have to be a Scotty I sent off to get turned into a button back.

I don't think I would.. I many ways I do not find it worth it. I would just get a new one they way I wanted it.

That being said, if you want to try a long neck putter. I can help you out for cheap... haha.

it's become quite popular.

View attachment 8942705
so i was thinking you wanted to cut up an original buttonback, my answer would be no.
if your buying a detour on the cheap to chop up and add a long neck or whatever, then yes, do it!

Back