Would you try to drive this green?

Yeah man, that's a full send. I probably come up short but I'm going for it lol.

Whenever that question is asked, the answer is always yes for me. I didn't come to the course to lay up!

Now I can't drive it that far to begin with so it's very easy for me to say that since I don't ever need to back it up. Drop 30 yards off of it though and I would still say yes and have an actual shot to do it.

Absolutely. The landing area is just as bad unless you layup much further back. No overly narrow so it's not extremely punishing either.

I can honestly say I do not play with anyone who looks at 310 yards as drivable.
Screenshot_20211123-101334_TheGrint.jpg

Does that help? I think for most, center green isn't the number they should be thinking of with driver as you'll typically run through hitting to it. Go for the front edge and be ready to work something greenside.

Short as I am I most likely wouldn't reach the recommended layup circle uphill. So I'd want the number to reach that pair of side by side heart shaped bunkers on the right and hit something to come up just short of them. From there I'd hope to either stuff my pitch or make a putt. Looks like a hole I'd par most days, birdie occasionally, provided I avoid 3 putts.

Last edited:

I’m hitting a long iron more than likely.

3w grip-it-and-rip-it.

Bombs.

I don't see a 3w, hybrid or even a long iron being a smart play since a miss right will still be sand bound, but with a longer sand shot to the green. I am not concerned about playing from the rough, so I'd take driver almost every time.

I am pulling the big dog! Lets go for it...if not I am hoping it hits the bunker.

Same. I don't know that I could get it to the green -- not even sure I could get there with my biggest swing and a pured strike at PA elevations -- but playing out of one of the bunkers wouldn't be a bad place to be.

Same. I don't know that I could get it to the green -- not even sure I could get there with my biggest swing and a pured strike at PA elevations -- but playing out of one of the bunkers wouldn't be a bad place to be.
the bunker is my...

I'm aiming right at the pin and going for it. As long as I hit it decent I should either get their or be just short. In one of the greenside bunkers would not bother me at all. Lots of room left or right to miss and I feel like I have a pretty good shot of at least saving par.

When your driver maxes out at a little more than a furlong there are no "i'm going for the green" par 4's. :sneaky:

This hole and course were actually reviewed here on THP over 8 years ago! It’s an uphill par 4 with about 260 carry to the front. All uphill. The green is well defended by bunkers front and right and fescue long. The green is also a nightmare with a shelf in the middle and heavily sloped back to front on the left half. Are you ripping driver at the green here or putting something to the left in the fairway?
View attachment 9046691
View attachment 9046687View attachment 9046688View attachment 9046689View attachment 9046690
Absolutely! That hole is begging for a high fade with my 3 wood. Bombs away!

I would hit driver but I’m still not reaching unless drought conditions with a helping wind.

In my earlier days I would have either hit my 3 wood right at it or cut my driver into it from the left. I don't know how many time I would have been on the green
but I sure would have had fun trying.

No

I am probably hitting a 7W out to the left and with the intent of having a distance where I can hit a consistent wedge shot. Carrying something 260 is not in my wheelhouse at the moment so the reward is not there for the risk.

Nope. These days I don't have carry needed.

Theres a similar type hole up near Mesquite NV. The elevation change from tee to green is nothing less than brutal. Even during my best golf days I couldn't reach the green.

I would aim left of the bunkers and let it rip every time!

100% driver

I would hit driver but I can’t reach the green. I would hit driver 240 up the left side. 58* into the green.

Even with the big dog I probably wouldn't make it, so play it safe & use a 3wd is what's going through my mind as I practice swing my driver.

I'll hit my driver. I can't carry it as far as 260 though. And I'll be aiming a little left of the center of the green. Something has changed in my swing. Where I used to have to aim right to counter my *cough, cough* power fade:LOL: I'm hitting a draw now. So I'll open the club face just a tiny touch and go for it. Maybe it'll go 200 yards. Then, I've got a PW to get onto the green. And my usual 3 or 4 putt.:rolleyes::LOL:

Back