Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Any updates on the 105?
Would be great to see the option for shorter irons

Any updates on the 105?
Would be great to see the option for shorter irons
Sorry I missed this.
Yes I have 3 shafts made up in iron heads. I've collected data and aside from a higher force to swing the club the number were near identical.
Super smooth feel through the ball, stable and lots of control. I personally will game some in my short irons and morph into the 95, 85s as I go.
10 more samples of the prototype 105 shafts are in the way to spread out for testing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Mike from TXG has gotten his hands on the 95g RTi and the Spin Wedge shafts. He has been amazed with both.
He made up some Kirkland wedges with the Spin Wedge shafts and absolutely loves them.
Mike is the club builder/engineer at TXG. So his endorsement and making up a set of Rapid Tapers for his gamers is huge. He has access to any shaft available.
TXG at some point will do a video review of the Rapid Tapers. Can't wait for that.

Mike from TXG has gotten his hands on the 95g RTi and the Spin Wedge shafts. He has been amazed with both.
He made up some Kirkland wedges with the Spin Wedge shafts and absolutely loves them.
Mike is the club builder/engineer at TXG. So his endorsement and making up a set of Rapid Tapers for his gamers is huge. He has access to any shaft available.
TXG at some point will do a video review of the Rapid Tapers. Can't wait for that.

What is the weight of the spin wedge shafts?

What is the weight of the spin wedge shafts?
The Spin Wedge has two weights. One is 85g in regular. 100g is stiff. Since they are fairly short all ready when trimmed they retain a lot of weight.
A 115g version will be added to compliment the new 105g RTi model.

The Spin Wedge has two weights. One is 85g in regular. 100g is stiff. Since they are fairly short all ready when trimmed they retain a lot of weight.
A 115g version will be added to compliment the new 105g RTi model.

Great info as always. 👍 A 115g sounds like it would be fun to test.

Had the 105g with the TS-1 heads 6, 7 and GW... in the bag along with my Hogans.
Hit them in every opportunity I had.
Laser straight is what comes to mind. The spin I was getting stopped the ball dead every time. To the point of it being just inches from the ball marks. This was on Frost delay greens that were pretty hard. Truly impressive.
I only hit one bad shot out of over 20. Feel was excellent even in the cold. The playing group gave quite a few.. wow.. nice shot... or... thats gonna hit the flag.
Nearly had a hole in one with the 7 iron too.
On a day where I really struggled with my Hogan PTx Pros the Maltby TS-1s were amazing. It's shocking how much better the forgiveness/playability is when head to head.
In the first picture you see the size difference of the two six irons. Proof POS I need to forget the tiny heads.
Also side by side is a 95g and the 105g. Notice how the taper is further down on the 105g. That is where the added weight comes from. Really can't wait to build out a whole set. I'll probably go 95g 4 and 5 iron. 20211107_211730.jpg20211107_211645.jpg20211107_211456.jpg

Just saw the set of PTx Pros with the 95g shafts for sale. Had to come in here to learn more about the shafts. They sound like something I would definitely love to take for a spin one day. Based on the specs on the website, I would probably fit better into regular flex though.

Just saw the set of PTx Pros with the 95g shafts for sale. Had to come in here to learn more about the shafts. They sound like something I would definitely love to take for a spin one day. Based on the specs on the website, I would probably fit better into regular flex though.
I would say you need to be in the 100 mph Swing Speed at a minimum. With a good strong full swing you are really rewarded with that load and release unique feeling.

I would say you need to be in the 100 mph Swing Speed at a minimum. With a good strong full swing you are really rewarded with that load and release unique feeling.

That is what I thought. I top out at about 95 in my rapidly advancing years...

That is what I thought. I top out at about 95 in my rapidly advancing years...
You might struggle too much with those S flex shafts.

Back Friday sale on the Rapid Tapers. Will be $15 off
BLACKFRIDAY15
One time use coupon. Will go until Tuesday I believe.

Last day for the sale. A whole bunch of sets were bought.

Wrapped up my initial testing on the 105g shafts.
Long story short they were amazing for my short game. The distance control was instinctual. Effortless to dial in a distance and let it go. Stability rivaled anything I have ever swung.
I tried a 105g in a hybrid and it was WAY too heavy for me. Had to try. For hybrids I'll stay with the 85g or 75g shafts.
As for where I would play them in my setup... I would definitely not go higher than a 6 iron and with that said I'll probably stop at a 7.
I have 95g shafts in 4-6 TS-2 heads and they are the best long irons I've hit. Love em.
Speaking of that 4 iron.... the last photo is what my buddy the Pro was doing with it. 250+. He added that he wished his own set felt that good. IMG_20211212_170721_428.jpgIMG_20211212_170721_396.jpg20211210_133012.jpg

Had to dial in my long irons. Spent some quality time with the 4 and 6 iron.
Those have the 95g shafts at standard S flex. The range session went very well. Very happy with the launch of the ball. Baby fade and repeatable. Spin numbers were great as well.
I concentrate on the carry numbers and not over all. Not too shabby though.
These snap shots are of the 6 and 4. As you can see the numbers are very close. 20211213_123925.jpg20211213_123842.jpg20211213_123308.jpg20211213_123215.jpg20211213_124113.jpg

Yes I have 3 shafts made up in iron heads. I've collected data and aside from a higher force to swing the club the number were near identical.
Super smooth feel through the ball, stable and lots of control. I personally will game some in my short irons and morph into the 95, 85s as I go.
10 more samples of the prototype 105 shafts are in the way to spread out for testing.

@Popeye first off - appreciate you continuing to consistently provide feedback on these shafts! I've been a bit out of the loop for the past few months so it's glad to still see updates to this thread. I've still got a couple 95 gram RT shafts installed (6 iron and 19* hybrid) that I haven't used in a while. I felt the 6-iron was a bit too light for me, so the 105 gram shafts definitely seem like they'd be a better overall weight.

Also, I may have missed this, but is the all-black color scheme a proto thing? Or will that be the standard color for the 105 models? That was probably my only actual complaint on the 95s was the red graphic on the taper section of the shaft.

@Popeye first off - appreciate you continuing to consistently provide feedback on these shafts! I've been a bit out of the loop for the past few months so it's glad to still see updates to this thread. I've still got a couple 95 gram RT shafts installed (6 iron and 19* hybrid) that I haven't used in a while. I felt the 6-iron was a bit too light for me, so the 105 gram shafts definitely seem like they'd be a better overall weight.

Also, I may have missed this, but is the all-black color scheme a proto thing? Or will that be the standard color for the 105 models? That was probably my only actual complaint on the 95s was the red graphic on the taper section of the shaft.
Looking to ditch the red stripes. Actually looking at a complete change. The black is just a sample. Though I have a silver, matte black and a gold.
I like the gold and black. I'm losing the war on no rings. So some sort of rings need to hilight the taper. 20211212_164033.jpg20211212_150503.jpg20211212_150211.jpg

I agree that it would look better without them, but can understand why there's a desire to highlight the taper better. I'm of the mind that if the product already stands out (with tapering) that you'd probably want to keep the graphics a bit more subtle so you don't end up with a super polarizing design like the AutoFlex shaft.

Then again if the performance is there, then it can still do well (Autoflex).

The gold color is quite unique. Not sure I've seen something like that outside of maybe UST ProForce shafts, but I feel like that's a slightly different color.

I'm partial to the all black look, with graphics on the underside of the shaft, if consumer feedback matters at all :D

I agree that it would look better without them, but can understand why there's a desire to highlight the taper better. I'm of the mind that if the product already stands out (with tapering) that you'd probably want to keep the graphics a bit more subtle so you don't end up with a super polarizing design like the AutoFlex shaft.

Then again if the performance is there, then it can still do well (Autoflex).

The gold color is quite unique. Not sure I've seen something like that outside of maybe UST ProForce shafts, but I feel like that's a slightly different color.

I'm partial to the all black look, with graphics on the underside of the shaft, if consumer feedback matters at all :D
I had a set of 95g shafts made in all black without rings and minimal graphics. If it was me I would include the decals to be installed... or not... by the consumer. Make the shafts all Matte Black and run with it. The performance of the shafts speak for themselves with out any rings.

I had a set of 95g shafts made in all black without rings and minimal graphics. If it was me I would include the decals to be installed... or not... by the consumer. Make the shafts all Matte Black and run with it. The performance of the shafts speak for themselves with out any rings.

Right there with you on the matte black + stickers for decals. Always liked how KBS does the stickers instead of printed graphics.

On a rare warm December day I actually got out to play 18 today. Conditions were tough with little grass and wet but very firm turf. Not conducive to my digger swing.
When I did find some Grass to actually play from I loved how the 105 shafted clubs felt. Great feel through the ball and a very straight flight. As the round went on I had to really make sure I struck down into the ball first. The clubs continued to respond well.
Where these really shined, repeating what is saw in the simulator, is in 1/2 or 3/4 shots. Two hop and stop performance with great feel and feedback. Distance control was spot on. Leaving short putts all day long.... BUT I DIDNT SINK A THING TODAY.... Irons were great, putting was atrocious!!!

I took advantage of the Black Friday sale and reshafted my Mizuno 919F's and 4 Fli-Hi with the RT-95 regular flex. Assembly went well, now just got to get down to Vegas and try them out.

919 SW_RT95R.jpg919F -RT95R.jpg4Fli-Hi_RT95R.jpg

I was able to play last weekend down in Vegas: Revere - Concord and Stallion Mountain. Although my swing was not in great form, I was able to hit a few really good iron shots. I was really pleased with the accuracy of my shots and they held my intended line well. I did not perceive any distance loss. The feel of the shafts were very good, similar to the NS 95gh shafts. I did not feel any whippiness. Best of all, no hand pain after the rounds.

Officially paid for a set of the matte black 105's.

TCB's or T100S?

I'd chatted with Popeye about these shafts a while ago and felt terribly that I didn't follow through, just wasn't ready to take the leap at that time.

Does anyone know if there's a dealer in the northeast where you can demo them? I've spent time with other graphite shafts this winter and think this one might have more of the feel I've been looking for...

Back