Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Looks like I’ll have the 95’s in tomorrow, hope to have installed by Thursday to get some initial feedback.
Looking forward to hearing about these!

95’s are in hand. Will get them installed tonight or tomorrow and a new thread will go up then. (y)

Awesome!

Jim- question : Your swing speed is much faster then the average golfer ( especially us seniors) so does the results you got with the iron shaft same with slower swing speeds? Next question: say one hits there 6 iron pretty consistent with good flight etc. but has more problems with 5. Iron could this shaft help . ( almost like a hybrid helps ) Also did you ever do a review of the xcaliber spin wedges. By the way great article !! I presently use the super lite shafts in my driver and 2 Hybrid Best shafts out there!!

Jim- question : Your swing speed is much faster then the average golfer ( especially us seniors) so does the results you got with the iron shaft same with slower swing speeds? Next question: say one hits there 6 iron pretty consistent with good flight etc. but has more problems with 5. Iron could this shaft help . ( almost like a hybrid helps ) Also did you ever do a review of the xcaliber spin wedges. By the way great article !! I presently use the super lite shafts in my driver and 2 Hybrid Best shafts out there!!
First, thank you for the kind words!

As for the shaft, I’m technically beyond what SHOULD work on these when we talk swing speed, that is why I do see these working as Robin claims for a really large margin of golfers, a wider gamut than most would expect imo.

To the 6/5i question, that’s one I really can’t answer, in the end fit matters most there and a trained eye getting to actually see your swing is going to be the best way to get the most out of something. I’m a firm believer that head does more than shaft, but both are important, struggles in a lower SS with a 5i might be worth looking into a 5hybrid instead.

Haven’t hit the wedge shafts yet, but, they’re on my list!

First, thank you for the kind words!

As for the shaft, I’m technically beyond what SHOULD work on these when we talk swing speed, that is why I do see these working as Robin claims for a really large margin of golfers, a wider gamut than most would expect imo.

To the 6/5i question, that’s one I really can’t answer, in the end fit matters most there and a trained eye getting to actually see your swing is going to be the best way to get the most out of something. I’m a firm believer that head does more than shaft, but both are important, struggles in a lower SS with a 5i might be worth looking into a 5hybrid instead.

Haven’t hit the wedge shafts yet, but, they’re on my list!
The reason I mentioned the 5. Iron and this shaft. Is because I notice with the ckub you used. You said it will now be used more then just off tee. Meaning it was easier to hit in the fairway for a lower lifted club.

The reason I mentioned the 5. Iron and this shaft. Is because I notice with the ckub you used. You said it will now be used more then just off tee. Meaning it was easier to hit in the fairway for a lower lifted club.
Correct, but that’s for me, I can’t say if that would with certainty be the case for you.

Correct, but that’s for me, I can’t say if that would with certainty be the case for you.
One more input sorry: I was originally fitted by someone who is into the philosophy of higher lofts and shorter clubs if possible ( meaning the way clubs were about 20 years ago). I hit a 2 hybrid ( wishon head with xcaliber super lite shaft ) That ball goes as comfortable as hitting a 4 hybrid. I’m convinced bedsides good fitting and wishon club head, The key is the. shaft Same shaft on my driver. That’s why I’m looking forward to the shafts you reviewed thanks fir all the comments

Little update, I have THREE of the new 95 RT’s in hand....but no epoxy, a rookie move for sure but it’ll be in today and then installs will happen!

Great looking forward to your latest input. I just ordered the spin wedge shafts. Will let you know about them. Ken s

In other Rapid Taper news... I'm seeing excellent consistency and distance with one of the version. I had about 10 samples and have gone through them in all sorts of configurations.
I settled on the 52-3 version. 52" blank tipped 3". I have been playing it all week on a bunch of new to me courses which is a true acid test for me. It did far better than I expected. People marvel at the shape and how it feels through the ball.
They are not lite, actually quite stout at close to 70 g yet you don't feel the weight.
Some new versions are being made with a different carbon fiber to try and get some weight off. But as these sit now they could most definitely come to market.
At the range today I threw every head and shaft combination I had trying to beat it and didn't really come close. Straight, repeatable and long.
I shipped the others back... im keeping this one.
d84a932864cfb45f3f325699121acbbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

In the picture it looks like a fairway wood? Weren’t these iron shafts? If yes did you hit them with various irons? Thanks Ken s

In the picture it looks like a fairway wood? Weren’t these iron shafts? If yes did you hit them with various irons? Thanks Ken s
There are iron shafts that I reviewed, the wood protos weren’t ready for review. That one is in a driver.

I am a new member so I may be confused ( sorry). There was a review of one iron shaft and my understanding is you were going to review more of the new rapid taper shafts for irons? I did not realize the driver shafts were ready for this.

I am a new member so I may be confused ( sorry). There was a review of one iron shaft and my understanding is you were going to review more of the new rapid taper shafts for irons? I did not realize the driver shafts were ready for this.
I reviewed the 75g iron shaft (in the original post of this thread), and am now following up with a review of the 95g iron shaft.

The Rapid Taper release is for woods and irons, the woods shafts just aren’t ready for release yet, Popeye works with Xcaliber so he’s got hands on things early.

I think I understand. ?? A bit confusing. Popeye is a different person then. J man. J man is the one who did review of the pro type Iron shaft.

One last question ( again I’m new) is it normal for someone who works for a company to review their own products?

One last question ( again I’m new) is it normal for someone who works for a company to review their own products?
He’s not reviewing it in terms of an article on the homepage, anyone is always welcome to provide feedback on anything here on the forum, Popeye is sharing his updates and feedback on the proto’s he’s messing with in some nice detail.

For years I have been building clubs for myself and others. I get my gear from Golfworks.
I started playing Xcaliber shafts way back when when the company first started.
Over the years I had some brief communication with the owner Robin Arthur. I aways write reviews of anything I build and people generally enjoy what I write about. Then they wind up trying them on their own. Any feed back I get usually mimics what I find. If I don't like a club ill say why.
Robin started to ask me to try out new designs. It lead to a friendship that has been extended into a sort of business end. I don't get paid, but I work very closely with the design process with feedback and suggestions. I can convey what the shafts are doing fairly well.
So in a way yes I'm reviewing Xcaliber products as an insider.

MARK MY WORDS. The rapid tapers are quite different from anything else to have ever been built. They have very unique playing qualities. Jman has no connections with the company and his review was as positive as could be. As more people get to play these shafts its gonna be quite difficult to meet demand.
They won't be for everyone but they will certainly be for a large audience.

Hope that clarifies where I stand. You may see my Maltby reviews here and on other platforms. They are not hard to find.

I appreciate your reply ( Popeye). Yet I still think it would be hard for you to be criticial of a product from a company your associated with. I think the proof will be. If other reviews in hackers paridise and other well known forums also come out with positive reviews. Thanks for your input

I appreciate your reply ( Popeye). Yet I still think it would be hard for you to be criticial of a product from a company your associated with. I think the proof will be. If other reviews in hackers paridise and other well known forums also come out with positive reviews. Thanks for your input
I under stand you point. But if you read the little update I gave its on a product that is in development. A lot of people are very interested in the product. I am simply reporting my findings.
Out of the many samples there are more than a few that perform horribly. The one I kept, the 52-3 is excellent.

Ok I understand. One thing that might help. When you Talk about your findings on a shaft from this company you say Up front you have association with the company. Maybe you did in the past but I’m new. Thanks

Back