Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Okay, assembled. The shafts weighed 76g. They were a bit stiffer than I normally use. Frequencies were 310, 312 & 317. I checked for spine and each had one. Interestingly each shaft had a touch of gold paint on the location of the spine. Assembled a 4 hy and 5 iron tip trimming according to instructions. Finished length 5 iron 38.5 and 4 hy 40. Swing weight was d2 on the 5 iron and d0 on the hybrid.

Went to the driving range. I’m 72 yrs old and have an inconsistent swing. I must say, on my good swings these shafts felt smooth and produced longer shots than I amused to. The hybrid was low and piercing in flight and ran forever. The 5 iron carried much farther than I expected. This in spite of using range balls and hitting into a quartering strong wind.

I’m going to play tomorrow with these in the bag and see how they do.
All Xcalibers are set to Stable plane or FLO at the factory. Thats what the golf line is for. Then they get cosmetics and are label up. Then they get the red and white orientation line.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Got a chance to swing the three clubs in my yard on my little hitting area (net + platform I built).

First thoughts:

Damn is this weird or what. I've only ever swung irons with steel shafts in them. Interestingly enough I still couldn't feel the clubheads (i fully expected to feel the weight of at least the 52 degree wedge) - I may add a bit of lead tape for feel (although its not something I've done for my regular setup).

The light feeling threw my tempo off a bit. I'm actually glad for that. I overswing ... often. So this is forcing me mentally to work that tempo far better and cut my swing back to what feels like 3/4 (really a full swing). The pure hits felt good (no distance feel yet since I'm just hitting into a net).

I'll be playing tomorrow morning so we'll see how things go. The 7i and the 52 will likely be the most used clubs but i'll pull the 3i out a few times for the sake of it (no driving range there to test with).

Depending on how this goes I might leave these in the bag for my yearly golf trip (four weeks from yesterday).

All Xcalibers are set to Stable plane or FLO at the factory. Thats what the golf line is for. Then they get cosmetics and are label up. Then they get the red and white orientation line.

Did not know this. That is awesome.

Thanks for the flo info. Didn’t know that. So played 18 yesterday. Didn’t get to hit either club very often but based on the few times here are my thoughts. The Hybrid flies low and runs forever on the ground. This may be a function of the shaft being stiffer than my old man swing can handle. Your results may vary. The 5 iron was a completely different story. It flew straight and long. I usually expect to hit my 5i 155 yards. Using my gps to track distance I hit a shot 178. On another occasion I was 155 from a green. Choaked down an inch and took a less than full swing and was past pin high off to the right. Third swing was 160 to center of green, uphill and into the wind. Missed the green right but again was past pin high. The ball flight was medium. This may be love at first sight!

My next experiment is to pull the shaft from the hybrid and put it into 9 iron and put the third shaft into a gap wedge. I’ll report back on that next week.

I’ll be putting 95’s into my set of Hogan’s this coming week, so I’m looking forward to jumping back in here some more. Enjoying the feedback so far! Keep it coming.

I’ll be putting 95’s into my set of Hogan’s this coming week, so I’m looking forward to jumping back in here some more. Enjoying the feedback so far! Keep it coming.
Ill have to ask Hogan if they can sell me heads only.

Thanks for the flo info. Didn’t know that. So played 18 yesterday. Didn’t get to hit either club very often but based on the few times here are my thoughts. The Hybrid flies low and runs forever on the ground. This may be a function of the shaft being stiffer than my old man swing can handle. Your results may vary. The 5 iron was a completely different story. It flew straight and long. I usually expect to hit my 5i 155 yards. Using my gps to track distance I hit a shot 178. On another occasion I was 155 from a green. Choaked down an inch and took a less than full swing and was past pin high off to the right. Third swing was 160 to center of green, uphill and into the wind. Missed the green right but again was past pin high. The ball flight was medium. This may be love at first sight!

My next experiment is to pull the shaft from the hybrid and put it into 9 iron and put the third shaft into a gap wedge. I’ll report back on that next week.
With your slower Swingspeed I think you will do well in the 9i and the GW.
That is quite the distance gain on the 5 iron. Very impressive. The Hybrid I would assume you need more flex or more loft.
Its been truly interesting to see how well the 75g do in the long irons and hybrids.
Make sure you do some green side work on small chips with the 9 and GW. Crisp contact would put a lot of action on the ball. I found them a blast.

Got a round in with these this weekend. Gonna put more net time on them this week. May not get out until a week from Wednesday but we'll see how the weekend plays out.

As a reminder they're in my 3i, 7i and 52 degree wedge.

The wedge saw the most use (its my "not in a bunker or within 125 yards club"). It's still an adjustment with the signifcant weight change and I was fighting tempo a little but it wasn't bad.

The 7i seemed to be about 5-10 yards further (enough of a breeze to not get a GREAT feel for it). The 3i was hit a few times - that really just seemed about normal and I don't have a feel for dispersion change yet since I didn't hit it enough.

The 52 though - I didn't "gain" much from it - but the feel when hitting shots was superb. I can't really explain it and interestingly i was getting more spin too. This may have just been a function of my game that day too. But I still really enjoyed the club more so than normal even.

What I'd like to have seen though is it fix the two or three chunks I had when I let my weight hang on my back foot! :D

Hogan heads are pulled, the TourV 120X are out, and the RT 95’s are prepped. 👀

Got a round in with these this weekend. Gonna put more net time on them this week. May not get out until a week from Wednesday but we'll see how the weekend plays out.

As a reminder they're in my 3i, 7i and 52 degree wedge.

The wedge saw the most use (its my "not in a bunker or within 125 yards club"). It's still an adjustment with the signifcant weight change and I was fighting tempo a little but it wasn't bad.

The 7i seemed to be about 5-10 yards further (enough of a breeze to not get a GREAT feel for it). The 3i was hit a few times - that really just seemed about normal and I don't have a feel for dispersion change yet since I didn't hit it enough.

The 52 though - I didn't "gain" much from it - but the feel when hitting shots was superb. I can't really explain it and interestingly i was getting more spin too. This may have just been a function of my game that day too. But I still really enjoyed the club more so than normal even.

What I'd like to have seen though is it fix the two or three chunks I had when I let my weight hang on my back foot! :D
This is good feedback! Keep it coming!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Hogan heads are pulled, the TourV 120X are out, and the RT 95’s are prepped.
My wallet fears this outcome. At some point I will have to aquire a set.

2F890138-E6F0-4DC6-A19F-6A3460F8C0EC.jpeg1DA618E7-A9E5-4D02-8DF8-737F552EB7AE.jpeg

The 95’s are ABSURD.

I went HARD at them today through the bag and they responded, better though? I don’t HAVE to go hard after them, the control was obscene today.

Going to have to up the SW a point or two through the set with some tape, but that’s aok.

The 95’s are ABSURD.

I went HARD at them today through the bag and they responded, better though? I don’t HAVE to go hard after them, the control was obscene today.

Going to have to up the SW a point or two through the set with some tape, but that’s aok.
That was a big leap to pull the 120Xs out of the Hogan's. So glad it worked out for you.
Now on the swing weight, do you think after a round or two you will get used to them or are you a die-hard swing weight guy?

That was a big leap to pull the 120Xs out of the Hogan's. So glad it worked out for you.
Now on the swing weight, do you think after a round or two you will get used to them or are you a die-hard swing weight guy?

I’m a D5 guy. I like D5. :ROFLMAO:

When are these supposed to be available for purchase? Im going to buy a second set of heads and try out the set as soon as you can buy them all.
They should be in hand last week of August, beginning of September.

Haven't been out lately since it's been so damn hot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haven't been out lately since it's been so damn hot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Poor excuse Sailor!!

Rapid Taper OG. These are the original Rapid Tapers and they are called Spin Wedges. The name is pretty appropriate.
In all the time fooling with Xcaliber I have never tried these. I loaded them up with the new TSW 52 and 56 Maltby heads.
First range session was ugly and was not going to bring them out today but the range grass is like cabbage so it wasnt a fair shake.
Today my short game was on fire. These just felt right from the first swing on nice turf. Made 5 birdies starting on the back side with and opening bogey. Couldnt keep it going added 2 bogeys with 2-3 putts on the front.
@Jman these would be a good compliment to your 95S shafts. This one is 100g and in S flex its pretty stout. I might even try the R flex. On full shots they were a good 5 yards further but they stop hard....
Anyways I kept the chips and pitches very close all day. Had a blast with them. Most of my birdies were this tight.
b07ada01cc40ea1c0db32e4cd4fcbd5a.jpg
af2b9bf309540e786f29ba4714c03044.jpg
62f0393ab6185440cc8fa9838a81470a.jpg

Rapid Taper OG. These are the original Rapid Tapers and they are called Spin Wedges. The name is pretty appropriate.
In all the time fooling with Xcaliber I have never tried these. I loaded them up with the new TSW 52 and 56 Maltby heads.
First range session was ugly and was not going to bring them out today but the range grass is like cabbage so it wasnt a fair shake.
Today my short game was on fire. These just felt right from the first swing on nice turf. Made 5 birdies starting on the back side with and opening bogey. Couldnt keep it going added 2 bogeys with 2-3 putts on the front.
@Jman these would be a good compliment to your 95S shafts. This one is 100g and in S flex its pretty stout. I might even try the R flex. On full shots they were a good 5 yards further but they stop hard....
Anyways I kept the chips and pitches very close all day. Had a blast with them. Most of my birdies were this tight.
b07ada01cc40ea1c0db32e4cd4fcbd5a.jpg
af2b9bf309540e786f29ba4714c03044.jpg
62f0393ab6185440cc8fa9838a81470a.jpg

That wedge shaft (the spin model) has got to be one of the all time best shafts for spin. I have two wedges with two very special wedge shafts and one has that wedge like you have and the other is one with a Paderson wedge shaft. Insane spin with both, difference is the Xcaliber is high ball flight and the Paderson is the lowest launch/highest spin wedge shaft I have ever hit. I rotate both depending on courses I play. Nice combo you have there.

I'll be out Monday and Wednesday of next week - I'm shooting for Saturday afternoon this weekend but I have appliances being delivered and not sure of the window yet so it might blow the day up :(

So, the 95 experiment in the iron set...is working.👀

So, the 95 experiment in the iron set...is working.👀

I actually figured I might like 95s more just due to the extra weight. But in all honesty the more I swing these, the less I notice the weight.

I'm still waffling on tossing a strip or two of lead tape on the club heads just so that I can feel them a bit through the swing.

What was the raw weight of these when they were sent out? I'm sorry if I missed that. :rolleyes:

Back