My course is perfect...all except the bunkers. Some have no sand, some too much and a handful a perfect. With Larry Mize and Russell Henley as members, I am surprised. But we did just hire a new superintendent.

The bunkers are very inconsistent in the depth of sand. It bothers me that they put zero money into course upgrades since I have been playing there which is 5 years.

Not all that great, most likely scattered pebbles throughout and some sort of standing water. IMO I gotta travel for the premium bunker experience.

A little spotty. Local course did bunker repair a few seasons ago. The greenside bunkers are usually ok, but you definitely run into some inconsistently firm spots. Haven't played there since October, but hopefully holding up ok to all the rain we've had recently.

90% look like either a cat litter box or the sand found in an cement ash tray.
They promise they are redoing them this year.

The course I typically play at went through a major bunker renovation project last winter, so for the 2019 season they were awfully fluffy, hoping a season of settling gets them to be a bit more compact for 2020 season.

Average. Better than a lot of courses around, but still not the quality of a higher end/private course.

There are a lot of courses around here where the traps are really good, a couple i have played where its mostly packed dirt and people suck at repacking if and when they do rack it. Prairie Lakes which is a muni in Grand Prairie, Texas. no traps....at all, in 27 holes...

My local course has inconsistent greens for sure. The sand is a gnarly gray and the only way to tell how the sand is packed is to jump in and try to dig your feet in. In the early mornings, some are so packed/wet that I chip out of them! I'd say less than 1/2 actually let me take anything that resembles a bunker shot. We do have a practice bunker, and it's probably got the best sand on the course--go figure!

There are a lot of courses around here where the traps are really good, a couple i have played where its mostly packed dirt and people suck at repacking if and when they do rack it. Prairie Lakes which is a muni in Grand Prairie, Texas. no traps....at all, in 27 holes...

QUOTE="neophyteguy, post: 9051822, member: 7917"]
My local course has inconsistent greens for sure. The sand is a gnarly gray and the only way to tell how the sand is packed is to jump in and try to dig your feet in. In the early mornings, some are so packed/wet that I chip out of them! I'd say less than 1/2 actually let me take anything that resembles a bunker shot. We do have a practice bunker, and it's probably got the best sand on the course--go figure!
[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is, Prairie Lakes, who has no bunkers on the course, has one next to the chipping green....so you can practice your bunker shots.

Horrible, hard pack ground with weeds. They are working on them though so that should be a thing of the past.

Usually theyre pretty compacted. I hate it. I wish that they would rake the bunkers more often but they usually just kind of let them go.

I am a member of 2 courses until March. The one from the last 2 years that expires in March is decent usually as long as it’s dry but as soon as it gets wet you either have lakes or concrete. There is only 1 fairway bunker I can think of on the entire course. It’s tiny and you can probably carry it off the tee with a 7i.

The course I just joined this year was know for being the best course anywhere around with the exception of having the worst bunkers. That all changed now as they have put a few million bucks into upgrading the course and now they are fantastic. Almost ever fairway has bunkers that make you think and play accurate tee shots. This course is longer from the white tees then my old course was from the blue tees also. I am hit a 4H out of a fairway bunker a week or two ago with no problems.

Bunkers here are well kept and pretty decent firmness. They're not fluffy but they're definitely sandy. Biggest issue we have is people not raking them and I generally tend to find the foot print of the most person to visit that patch of sand.

I do think the top layer is great but udnerneath, it's rough. Much more damp and thick, grainy sand.

I am a member of 2 courses until March. The one from the last 2 years that expires in March is decent usually as long as it’s dry but as soon as it gets wet you either have lakes or concrete. There is only 1 fairway bunker I can think of on the entire course. It’s tiny and you can probably carry it off the tee with a 7i.

The course I just joined this year was know for being the best course anywhere around with the exception of having the worst bunkers. That all changed now as they have put a few million bucks into upgrading the course and now they are fantastic. Almost ever fairway has bunkers that make you think and play accurate tee shots. This course is longer from the white tees then my old course was from the blue tees also. I am hit a 4H out of a fairway bunker a week or two ago with no problems.

I had been playing golf for about 15 years when i moved to Central Virginia. I joined a Club in forest Va and met a great group of guys there and that is where i LEARNED the game instead of just whacking a ball and chasing it....Love Central Virginia

I had been playing golf for about 15 years when i moved to Central Virginia. I joined a Club in forest Va and met a great group of guys there and that is where i LEARNED the game instead of just whacking a ball and chasing it....Love Central Virginia
I grew up in Forest but I live in Appomattox now. You still around the area?

I grew up in Forest but I live in Appomattox now. You still around the area?

no, I left in 2001 when i transferred to Wright Patterson AFB, since then i have been to Florida, Texas, Okinawa and back to Texas

no, I left in 2001 when i transferred to Wright Patterson AFB, since then i have been to Florida, Texas, Okinawa and back to Texas
I figured as much but wanted to ask. It’s totally different now.

I love when courses manicure the bunkers like they do on the top Australian courses. The bunker sand walls are kept firm so balls rarely plug in the sides. The bases are ranked and a vast majority of shots into bunkers end up on the floor of the bunkers.

Back