Since I don't shop at places like Dick's or other sporting goods outlet stores I can avoid paying the high overhead prices which are attached to the price of clubs at big sporting good outlets. Instead I shop on ebay for reputable dealers who sell guaranteed OEM items at cost because they don't have high overhead costs. Many of them even offer free shipping. So my prices differ greatly than the prices of someone who buys at huge sporting goods stores and outlets.

Driver $150
Fairway woods $50
Hybrid $50 - $60
Irons - $230
Wedges - $60
Putter - $30

Balls - $5 doz reclaimed in AAAA condition
Round of golf - $1 after buying a years senior membership which costs $285
Buying online can surely save you money. My irons, a few years old but good as new, retailed for $1,600. I got them for less than $300. I was confident I'd like them because I had just hit the same model, borrowed from a friend, at the range. On the other hand, I ordered a used putter that I don't like at all. It feels like a brick on a broomstick. It needs to be replaced, and I'll be buying at a store, or in person if I go used, because I need to know how it works for me. Tough to do online. And mistakes can be costly. I ordered a driver I didn't like, and it cost me over 20 bucks to send it back. Free delivery is great, but look for free return shipping, too.

Buying online can surely save you money. My irons, a few years old but good as new, retailed for $1,600. I got them for less than $300. I was confident I'd like them because I had just hit the same model, borrowed from a friend, at the range. On the other hand, I ordered a used putter that I don't like at all. It feels like a brick on a broomstick. It needs to be replaced, and I'll be buying at a store, or in person if I go used, because I need to know how it works for me. Tough to do online. And mistakes can be costly. I ordered a driver I didn't like, and it cost me over 20 bucks to send it back. Free delivery is great, but look for free return shipping, too.

I hear you on the putter. I just bought a new putter last week at Golf Galaxy. I first tried out probably about 15 or so different putters and narrowed it down to three that seemed to work for me. Those three varied in price. First one was priced at $99.99, the second one at $129.99, and the third one at $29.99. Just so happens I bought the one for $29.99 not because it was the cheapest but ONLY because it worked better for me than did the other two. The brand I ended up walking out of the store with was a Top Flite 3.0 half mallet putter.

I hear you on the putter. I just bought a new putter last week at Golf Galaxy. I first tried out probably about 15 or so different putters and narrowed it down to three that seemed to work for me. Those three varied in price. First one was priced at $99.99, the second one at $129.99, and the third one at $29.99. Just so happens I bought the one for $29.99 not because it was the cheapest but ONLY because it worked better for me than did the other two. The brand I ended up walking out of the store with was a Top Flite 3.0 half mallet putter.
I've seen those Top Flite putters in a store, and I was pretty impressed with the feel -- not flimsy and vibration-prone like some cheap putters, but not heavy and numb-feeling like my brick-on-a-stick Nike.

Wait, $150 for a driver? That's not cost. At least not on new equipment.

Wait, $150 for a driver? That's not cost. At least not on new equipment.

Either way, $150 is still a good price however you want to slice it. I actually bought my current driver, a Cobra Flyz+ adjustable for $139 which included shipping. And I can honestly say it's just as good as any $400 driver.

Either way, $150 is still a good price however you want to slice it. I actually bought my current driver, a Cobra Flyz+ adjustable for $139 which included shipping. And I can honestly say it's just as good as any $400 driver.
I'm not going to argue quality. That's a good driver.

But that IS a $400 driver. It's just not $400 anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never buy the latest equipment so it's been years since I paid any more than $200 for any one club.
Because it's a sliding scale for me, I can't really put a limit on anything except golf balls. I refuse to pay more than $30 for a dozen. Prior releases are just fine by me.

Your Price Point

For me... Not really a price point or limit. I tend to keep equipment a long time. I do appreciate a deal and have purchased my new woods recently which were models a year or two old but a big step up from what I had.

Not as painful when you are not buying it all at once and all the time.

But as a max range -

Driver $300 -$400
(Got my R15 for $180)

FW Wood - $200
(Paid $80 for my X2 Hot)

Hybrids -$0 hate them never buying again - gonna get more FW woods
(Did pay $60 for my current 3h, which I rarely use)

Irons - $800 to $1100
(Paid around $800 16 years ago for what I have, these will be replaced next).

Wedges - $100ish
(Current ones were bought used for $30, favorite in my bag but will replace when I do new irons this winter so that everything works together)

Putter - $350ish
(Want a Scotty and know that's gonna cost me but will keep it forever, current putter has been in bag 15 years)

Balls: $20 ish. Really loving the srixon soft feel usually easy to find under $20 a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really less about price than the new clubs having to outperform my current gamers. If the new ones aren't any better even if they're shiny and new, what's the point of changing?

That said, I've made it my hobby to look for good clubs at lower prices. 80 percent of my clubs have been bought at less than retail. I'd say the total amount of my gamers, including the bag, is just 2,400 dollars, including the replaced shafts and grips.

But that IS a $400 driver. It's just not $400 anymore.

When I bought the driver almost a year ago it was selling at Dicks for $329.99 + 8 1/2% sales tax which equals $357.21. At that time I bought the brand new driver on ebay for $139 including shipping. My savings over Dick's price was $218.21 That's a lot of overhead people are paying to shop at Dick's or other sporting good stores like them. I can almost pay for a seasons membership at my local golf course with that sort of savings.

Balls: $20 ish. Really loving the srixon soft feel usually easy to find under $20 a box.

I like them too. Dick's often has a sale on them - 2 doz for $30

Driver: $300
FW and Hybrid: $250
Irons: $1000
Wedges: $120
Putter: $150
I tend to buy a lot of clubs that are last year's models or are discontinued or about to be discontinued. Tech is great but despite all the new tech, golf scores havent dramatically dropped in the last 30 years, so Im not sure how much better all the shiny, new clubs really are.

Driver: 500
FW/Hybrid - 250
Irons: 1200
Wedges - 150
Putter - 400
--
That said, I spend more on tinkering and lessons. This sport ain't cheap!!

This is what I spent for what's in my bag

Driver $139
2 FW's $100
Hybrid $70
Mostly Used Irons $225
Wedges $60
Putter $30

Total $624

When you're terrible (29 handicap) all the tech in the world isn't going to help much, so my price ceiling is low enough even Verne Troyer would feel cramped. I'll just list what I have paid, as that's about the max I'd spend at this point.

Driver-$90
Fairway wood-$70 (and that was wasted money, as I can't hit it to save my life)
Hybrid-$50 (though the ones I actually use I picked up for $20 and $25)
Irons-$200
Wedge- Mine were given to me, but I'd have a hard time spending more than $50 on one.
Chipper-$60 (also wasted money...I have no idea how to use it)
Putter-$40 (the one I use now cost $80, but I only have it because my wife bought it for me for Christmas)
A round-$80 is the most I've paid, but on a regular basis I don't go above $40.
Balls-$20 is my max, but I usually spend around $12.

At this point my money would be best spent on more lessons, but the fact that I didn't get much return from the ones I've had makes it incredibly difficult to drop that coin as well. It's not that I can't afford more; it's just that it's quite hard for me to part with money on something I don't know will benefit me.

My max:

Driver $400
FW $150
Hybrid $120
Irons $1000
Wedges $150
Putter $300

FW and hybrid lower because I struggle with these clubs so don't put as much value to them. I buy them preowned.

I have never been one to do a lot of club changing - look at my signature and you will see everything I have is at or close to 10 years old. That said I will instead answer with what I paid for WITB.

Driver - $85 - got on E-Bay and seller threw in a sleeve of ProV-1 balls - and this driver is still the best I ever had length and accuracy - a great fit.
Fairway - $125 - Callaway Pre-owned
Hybrids - $100 - Callaway Pre-owned
Irons - $650 - ordered custom fit from Callaway
Wedges - part of above set
Putter - $100 - Callaway Pre-owned
Balls - $40
Green Fees - $85 is the highest I have paid, but I have gotten many freebie rounds at pricier courses

Back