Your Underrated Budget Ball

My favorite is still the OnCore Avant55. Very reliable.

I'd say the Cut Grey, I tested them here on THP, and they are really close in performance to balls that cost twice as much or more. I didn't see any durability issues with the Grey that some have mentioned with the Blue or the DC.

Probably the Wilson Duo Soft +. Although, you can get prior generation Srixon Z-Stars at Wal-mart for $24.99.

I'm going to say Pinnacle Soft.

If you want to expand, SuperSoft and Soft Feel are both really good.

I’m either buying the ball I want to play, or stumbling upon a stray ball on the course. I’ll give some a try, else I’ll toss them in my brothers bag or give them to one of my buddies kids.
This. I've tried the Supersoft, Soft Response, and Wilson something or other when I've found them but none jumped out at me enough to go buy some. I liked the Taylormade Project (a) but it went bye-bye.

This. I've tried the Supersoft, Soft Response, and Wilson something or other when I've found them but none jumped out at me enough to go buy some. I liked the Taylormade Project (a) but it went bye-bye.
That’s too funny - I also enjoyed the Project (a).

Probably not under-rated at all, but if I have to buy a dozen balls off the shelf, I'll go for Bridgestone e6's every time.

TP5 x pix practice balls

Wilson Duo Soft
Bridgestone TreoSoft
Callaway Diablo
Srixon Distance

I've played all 4 this year & they are all very good and can be had for $20/doz or so

Found a Bridgestone e12 the other day and played a few holes. I enjoyed it and would play it as fall/leaves ball for sure

Callaway SuperSoft and the new Bridgestone e12 Contact.

Srixon Soft Feel would be my choice.

Taylormade Tour Distance. I don’t play them often but when I do I really like how the ball performs. Q star tour too

Wilson Duo; but they change the formulation from year to year and I like the older model better and still have a stash. I recently told my playing partner that I hoped to outlive my stash but I'd be sad when gone.

I find callaway supersoft and Bridgestone e6 as next best alternatives.

I'd say the Cut Grey, I tested them here on THP, and they are really close in performance to balls that cost twice as much or more. I didn't see any durability issues with the Grey that some have mentioned with the Blue or the DC.
This is my answer

Noodle Long and Soft might be the king of ultra-budget balls. Another good one (if it's still made) is the Precept Laddie.
i love the Laddie yellows. I think they are out of production at this point.

Cut blue and Snell MTB

Bridgestone E12 Soft

The AD333 is still being made? Thought that was replaced by QStar.
I'm pretty sure the AD333 is the UK version of the QStar.

Callaway SuperSoft and the new Bridgestone e12 Contact.
While I love the e12 Contact, its price puts it out of the "Budget Balls" category IMO. It's solidly into the "Midrange balls" league at $30/dozen. Maybe subjective, but I put the upper limit of "Budget Balls" at $24-$25/dozen.

Vice is pretty close to all I play anymore. The Pro Plus is pretty dang good from top to bottom of the bag.

I am getting a real kick out of this thread.
The only new balls I buy are Kirklands and Q-Star Tour Divides which are both fine.
I play a ton of found balls as I tend to walk along golf courses quite a lot and collect all I need after hours.

That being said, I echo all the sentiments behind the Callaway Supersoft. I might play a ProV1 and be like ya - cool it's a ProV1, but whenever I play a Supersoft I am happy and then when I lose it, I am sad.

Last edited:
Almost always go to Callaway SuperSoft this time of year. With leaves and soft conditions balls tend to disappear more frequently. I still feel like they perform well enough that I'm not sacrificing a ton of performance

I am getting a real kick out of this thread.
The only new balls I buy are Kirklands and Q-Star Tour Divides which are both fine.
I play a ton of found balls as I tend to walk along golf courses quite a lot and collect all I need after hours.

That being said, I echo all the sentiments behind the Callaway Supersoft. I might play a ProV1 and be like ya - cool it's a ProV1, but whenever I play a Supersoft I happy and then when I lose it, I am sad.
I found a ProV1 yesterday. Played it on a par 3 water hole, then afterward asked my buddy if he wanted it. He said no, so I tossed it out next to the cart path for the next group to find.

It's hard to top the Soft Feel when Srixon does the 3-for-2 deal.

Back