Just can't get lag in my swing

boudrebr

Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
I'm new to this forum and am just wondering if there are any success stories out there about short hitters (in my case drives less than 200 yards) who eventually were able to get sufficient lag in their swing and increase yardage significantly. I've seen many of the tips and drills and have been through many golf lessons in my 50+ years but just can not seem to prevent having the right hand take over too soon. My swing is actually fairly good and sound but lacking any speed. As I mentioned, I'd just like to hear any success stories to know that it is actually something that can be learned after years of being unable to get any speed in my swing. Thanks for any input!

big caster of the club here, and i've been able to pick up some distance in the last 24 months. for me, it's been about letting the release happen, and really feeling like i'm "swooshing" the club through impact. the "swoosh" is when you turn the club upside down, holding just below the head and swinging the grip end through the air. the trick is to practice this and get as loud a swoosh as possible, then flip the club back around and use the same motion to hit the ball. don't worry about where it goes, just hit it. i went from a 225y drive being average, to 250+. i also went from a 150y 7i to 150y 9i.

i'd also think about buying some impact tape and just verifying that you're hitting the sweet spot. that's the #1 killer in distance, missing the sweet spot.

Have you tried the orange whip?

Have you tried the orange whip?

Have you had success with it (the Orange Whip) personally? Looks like a good product. Expensive, but worth it if it really helps.

Tempo IMHO is what helps me create lag. A choppy from back to down swing without proper weight shift make it difficult to create lag and club speed. I may be wrong but that does work for me.

Last edited:
Have you had success with it (the Orange Whip) personally? Looks like a good product. Expensive, but worth it if it really helps.

Yes. More for tempo with me but it's design naturally helps with lag. It is worth the price, IMO. Wait for a sale and grab one.

A sklz smart glove will help keep the right hand from taking over. It will force you to hold that angle longer and give you the feel of hitting with some lag and not flipping with the right hand.

Last edited:
I found that trying to get a feeling of the club weightless at top and let gravity start the down swing delays my right hand from taking over long enough that it helped my casting issue, picked up a full club length on all my irons. This is more just a feeling or swing thought but it helped me. Here is a few still shots from some video from a few weeks ago and the older image from 2 months before that.

castingbeforeafter_zpsvcgxlafd.jpg

An exercise I used when teach was called the 'pump drill'. It was taught to me and I found it very affective.

You have to get into your address position and then preset the club at a 90* angle with your arms still hanging in front of you. So your knees are bent, you have some waist flex, shoulders back, chest out and the arms hanging. The toe of the club head is pointing to the sky and pointing directly away from the target. The butt or handle of the club should be pointed at the target.

From hear we simply make a sounder turn and swing the club to the top. The club will be short of parallel at the top and the idea is to hold the preset angle and pump the handle of the club down toward the right hip. So from the top of the swing you will physically pull the handle of the club down to your right hip and back up to the top. Do this 3 times and in the third time, swing thru to your finish. You can actually hit a bucket of balls this way. It's not a distance drill so don't worry about how far the ball travels. It's an angles drill as well as a release drill.

Thanks for the link. If anyone has else has had success with that drill I'd be glad to hear about it.

You won't have success with it because it doesn't teach lag, all it teaches is a muscular blockout. Lag is not holding an angle with your left wrist, in fact it defies physics. I want you to twirl a rock on a string while keeping a 90* bend in the string. Not going to happen because physics says different. In a linear system you can hold the angle but not in a angular system and the golf swing is an angular system. Inertia throws the rock out when you twirl it on a string and in the golf swing inertia throws the clubhead out when you spin your pivot. Trying to hold the angle is nothing more than a muscular blockout fighting the laws of physics.

There is a difference between uncocking the left wrist and casting. Cocking and uncocking is moving the left wrist up and down while maintaining a flat left wrist. Casting is both uncocking and bending the left wrist. From the top inertia is going to through out the clubhead and uncock your left wrist. This is okay just as long as you don't bend your left wrist. When your hands are in front of your right leg your left wrist should be just about completely uncocked. But than something happens, all the speed, thrust, velocity, etc, the clubhead acquired from the uncocking left wrist is transferred into the rolling action of the clubface. The release is sequenced, the left wrist uncocks than it rolls.

Casting happens when golfers try to uncock and roll at the same time resulting in the hands throwing the clubhead at the ball.

I cannot stress this enough, uncocking is not casting and the laws of physics do not hold angles in an angular system.

Lag is simply swinging against the inertia of the club, it's resistance to change in motion and direction.

How does Freddie's pump drill work?

Thanks,
Jack

You won't have success with it because it doesn't teach lag, all it teaches is a muscular blockout. Lag is not holding an angle with your left wrist, in fact it defies physics. I want you to twirl a rock on a string while keeping a 90* bend in the string. Not going to happen because physics says different. In a linear system you can hold the angle but not in a angular system and the golf swing is an angular system. Inertia throws the rock out when you twirl it on a string and in the golf swing inertia throws the clubhead out when you spin your pivot. Trying to hold the angle is nothing more than a muscular blockout fighting the laws of physics.

There is a difference between uncocking the left wrist and casting. Cocking and uncocking is moving the left wrist up and down while maintaining a flat left wrist. Casting is both uncocking and bending the left wrist. From the top inertia is going to through out the clubhead and uncock your left wrist. This is okay just as long as you don't bend your left wrist. When your hands are in front of your right leg your left wrist should be just about completely uncocked. But than something happens, all the speed, thrust, velocity, etc, the clubhead acquired from the uncocking left wrist is transferred into the rolling action of the clubface. The release is sequenced, the left wrist uncocks than it rolls.

Casting happens when golfers try to uncock and roll at the same time resulting in the hands throwing the clubhead at the ball.

I cannot stress this enough, uncocking is not casting and the laws of physics do not hold angles in an angular system.

Lag is simply swinging against the inertia of the club, it's resistance to change in motion and direction.

My guy spent 2 lessons on this same concept.He is so big on not letting the face turn over at all

An exercise I used when teach was called the 'pump drill'. It was taught to me and I found it very affective.

You have to get into your address position and then preset the club at a 90* angle with your arms still hanging in front of you. So your knees are bent, you have some waist flex, shoulders back, chest out and the arms hanging. The toe of the club head is pointing to the sky and pointing directly away from the target. The butt or handle of the club should be pointed at the target.

From hear we simply make a sounder turn and swing the club to the top. The club will be short of parallel at the top and the idea is to hold the preset angle and pump the handle of the club down toward the right hip. So from the top of the swing you will physically pull the handle of the club down to your right hip and back up to the top. Do this 3 times and in the third time, swing thru to your finish. You can actually hit a bucket of balls this way. It's not a distance drill so don't worry about how far the ball travels. It's an angles drill as well as a release drill.

I still ill do this drill regularly. One of the best out there IMO. I also ad in I the 2 pump dump drill.

I still ill do this drill regularly. One of the best out there IMO. I also ad in I the 2 pump dump drill.
I did this Intentionally during my lessons and the pro told me not to do this.Said it is a sure fire way to start slicing again.But it makes sense to me

I did this Intentionally during my lessons and the pro told me not to do this.Said it is a sure fire way to start slicing again.But it makes sense to me

Im always amazed at what some pros teach and say.

Im always amazed at what some pros teach and say.
We started off learning a real weak grip and learned to open the club face for the whole swing.The pivot squares the face, and if I turn the face over the instructor said it will be a slice.Twelve lessons of hard hard work,just want to be a 90 shooter.As of now it isn't working at all,but I'm not giving up yet

We started off learning a real weak grip and learned to open the club face for the whole swing.The pivot squares the face, and if I turn the face over the instructor said it will be a slice.Twelve lessons of hard hard work,just want to be a 90 shooter.As of now it isn't working at all,but I'm not giving up yet

I wish you the best of luck with you lessons.

I wish you the best of luck with you lessons.

Thanks,I spent quite a but of funds on these.If these don't work than I'm not sure what to do anymore.I might be one of those guys that just wasn't meant to be a decent golfer.So far my results have been very bad with these lessons.Terrible and embarassing is the results so far

Thanks,I spent quite a but of funds on these.If these don't work than I'm not sure what to do anymore.I might be one of those guys that just wasn't meant to be a decent golfer.So far my results have been very bad with these lessons.Terrible and embarassing is the results so far

Can you get your money back? I feel that you may be headed down the wrong path, mentally and physically

Your instructor teaches you to open the face?

There's the face open naturally a little as you take the club back and it hinges up, and then there's manipulation of it. The last one isn't what you want to do.

The weak grip also isn't what you want to do. While the pivot squares the face, you're fighting an uphill battle if your grip is 0-1 knuckles weak. You're having to pivot and rotate your core so freakin fast to have the chance to square it up, that's really hard to time and probably really bad for your back.

This all coming from someone who also uses a pivot driven swing, FWIW.

Sadly I don't see him refunding it.Just had my last lesson out of the 12 series early last week.If I played right now I'm positive 100 would be a very good score for me.He just told me the more open I can come thru the ball the statighter it goes.If the face is closed it will slice dead right.Than he said my clubs were the problem as well.So far all shanks/tops and weak big slices.Unfortunately I used some of our vacation funds to do these lessons.So any money I spend now will be for playing golf only
I'm easily the worst golfer on these forums.So bad scores are in my makeup.But I'm hitting it worse than what I started

Sadly I don't see him refunding it.Just had my last lesson out of the 12 series early last week.If I played right now I'm positive 100 would be a very good score for me.He just told me the more open I can come thru the ball the statighter it goes.If the face is closed it will slice dead right.Than he said my clubs were the problem as well.So far all shanks/tops and weak big slices.Unfortunately I used some of our vacation funds to do these lessons.So any money I spend now will be for playing golf only
I'm easily the worst golfer on these forums.So bad scores are in my makeup.But I'm hitting it worse than what I started
Where these lessons with a PGA professional at a golf course?

Have you gotten a swing on video and shown Freddie lately?

Back