Playing in Pro events

lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has played in tournaments with Pro's and low amateurs? Here in NZ we have a National tour with open events that anyone can enter. There is one in my home province next month and im thinking of entering.
I know i have no chance of making the cut but im just looking for the experience and to see close up how different and how the pro's go about playing the game. I know we can all watch them on TV but to be on the course playing along side them will be great. I want to see how i am under pressure and how i would handle it, i do play some competitions and i believe i am quite good under pressure but this is a whole different environment .

I have talked to my dad and uncle(who will caddie for me), some of my buddies and a few of the local pro's and they all tell me to enter just for the points i said above. Its not every day you can play with such great golfers and anything i learn off them would only help me i reckon.

Would you guys do it if you had the opportunity? Do you think im wasting my time? Any thoughts and advise would be helpful. Im quite keen to do it, and just go out and play my game.

Do it! I think it would be a killer experience.

If you've got the game I'd say do it!

Go for it dude , You will be more competitive than you think.

Sounds like a blast...enjoy it!

Go for it! Opportunity is knocking.

Playing in Pro events

I'd do it if it were cost prohibitive so I say go for it!

If you are still gaming the whiteboard in the bio cell then a little piece of Tennessee will be in there with you so you got this! Haha

Go for it! It will be a great learning experience regardless of the outcome. Good luck!

If you can afford it and want to, you should definitely do it. I played in a club round with a kid that was about to go pro. Watching someone play their game at that level is great to experience.

You can learn a lot from them, and also about yourself playing in those conditions.

I'd say go for it.

I've played with a local Tour caliber player and just watching him attack the course is eye opening. I'm sure it will be a great experience for you.

That sounds pretty sweet. I'm sure it would be a great experience.

Definitely go for it! If the chance ever came around for me to play with pros and be inside the ropes, I would for sure be doing it!

I'd do it for sure, assuming I could swing it from a cost point of view. I've seen scratch players before, but this would be something else entirely.

As a guy that has played along side guys that play on the weekend and top Ams, I would not do it. I know you think you are getting experience but you really aren't. guys that are trying to make checks or gain points will be focused on just that. If you start hitting sideways, your time out there will become very lonely. Guys that have to start watching less than solid shots can get weirded out and really shut down. Some might actually take offense to it.

For example, before q-school changed their policy, anyone could play. Guys that shot a low score, once, would enter. They would get paired with guys that could play or had a chance to make a career out it, shot a million and leave. They always said the same thing. I got experience out of it. Mean while their poor play may have caused others their legit shot at a career.

If you want to play in an event like this, I would look for an event with guys more your speed. I would not go out and try to gain some type of wisdom from guys that have to play well to eat.

As a guy that has played along side guys that play on the weekend and top Ams, I would not do it. I know you think you are getting experience but you really aren't. guys that are trying to make checks or gain points will be focused on just that. If you start hitting sideways, your time out there will become very lonely. Guys that have to start watching less than solid shots can get weirded out and really shut down. Some might actually take offense to it.

For example, before q-school changed their policy, anyone could play. Guys that shot a low score, once, would enter. They would get paired with guys that could play or had a chance to make a career out it, shot a million and leave. They always said the same thing. I got experience out of it. Mean while their poor play may have caused others their legit shot at a career.

If you want to play in an event like this, I would look for an event with guys more your speed. I would not go out and try to gain some type of wisdom from guys that have to play well to eat.

You really think so Freddie. I will defer to you as you are much closer to this by a wide margin than me. I feel like a pro would need a better mental game than to let his/her game go completely south based on their partners play. I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me, but if you are that fragile then maybe the ultra high stress of pro golf just simply isnt for you? Again I see your point though.

These are the training grounds for guys that want to make living. Those guys on tour learned to play and focus with other of like talent. Those guys that toil on Tuesday and Wednesday in mini tour events, are trying to make, Adding someone to the mix that is just trying to garner some tiny bit of wisdom can be off putting.

These are my thoughts and this is not the gospel. Most will say go for it but not think about scope of the event. I know I have been paired with guys that had no business on the course and it was distracting. I have also been that guy think I had it and played like ass. It was a lonely and frustrating experience.

People should do what they want, I am just offering up my two cents.
You really think so Freddie. I will defer to you as you are much closer to this by a wide margin than me. I feel like a pro would need a better mental game than to let his/her game go completely south based on their partners play. I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me, but if you are that fragile then maybe the ultra high stress of pro golf just simply isnt for you? Again I see your point though.

what is the lowest score you shot on the course in similar conditions (length/green speed/etc) to what the tournament will have?

This and this and this and this. Many don't mind a Monday pro am or a charity event or even a pro seminar. But playing on their time/ domain is a different story. I learn plenty watching them from the other side of the ropes. The choice is up to you but remember this is how they get a paycheck. Would you let them come in your work place and start doing your job without proper training?

I'd do it if it were cost prohibitive so I say go for it!

If you are still gaming the whiteboard in the bio cell then a little piece of Tennessee will be in there with you so you got this! Haha

Its still going strong mate, hasnt left my bag since it went in.

I understand where you are coming from Tadashi and thank for your insight. A lot of these pro's do have normal jobs as the pro circuit here isnt that big and they are not playing for big purses like the big tours. I have chatted to a few of them and they have encouraged me to go for it, and they just play their game and not worry about what is happening to the other players.
i mean it is not something ill do every year just this once probably(depends how i go). It has been something i have liked to do for a long time.

thanks everyone for your answers and encouragement.

Back