2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks dude! Is alternating those ok like I did or is there something better to swap in?
My personal opinion, lunges suck. They are unsafe and inconsistent. I know it's difficult and boring, but at your level, squating three days a week is very doable.

If you have to change it up, I don't think you need to, front squats are good.

I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Walked 18 holes, and got back in time for the 6:30 class at the gym, so ended up heading there. Did a lot of technique work to start, and then a kettlebell complex that just killed me - swing, snatch, press, turkish get up, squat - repeat on the same arm, switch arms, and repeat the whole thing again. Did that twice. My shoulders were exhausted at the end of it.

My personal opinion, lunges suck. They are unsafe and inconsistent. I know it's difficult and boring, but at your level, squating three days a week is very doable.

If you have to change it up, I don't think you need to, front squats are good.
Ok I'll give that a go next week. You're right about inconsistent lol I'm kinda everywhere with them at times but I thought it was just my long ass legs being wonky lol

Ok I'll give that a go next week. You're right about inconsistent lol I'm kinda everywhere with them at times but I thought it was just my long ass legs being wonky lol
Nope. Those are lunges being lunges. Personal trainers love them because clients believe that lunges are "functional". Plus, they are done with light weights so they can be included in at home exercise dvd sets.

But lunges are not good, IMO.

Nope. Those are lunges being lunges. Personal trainers love them because clients believe that lunges are "functional". Plus, they are done with light weights so they can be included in at home exercise dvd sets.

I really don't like how rude you are to my lunges!! Kidding kidding I'll dump em, I honestly only added them because I thought I needed variety and a little rest but I guess going into my next workout day I'm not really sore by that point so a break isn't needed now that you mentioned it. I like squats better anyways lol blu 1, my lunges 0

Blu, it's possible you've discussed this before, but since I'm newish to this thread, where'd you learn all this stuff about working out? (not asking this to question your credibility, just curious how you know so much).

Blu, it's possible you've discussed this before, but since I'm newish to this thread, where'd you learn all this stuff about working out? (not asking this to question your credibility, just curious how you know so much).
Of course. Give me a minute. I'm currently wrestling a 2 year old who doesntvwant to go to bed

What about RFESS?

I played football in high school. I thought I knew everything (shocking). I spent my 20s doing useless isolation lifts and cable training trying every workout in Men's Health that was supposed to give me "huge guns" or sculpted quads. None of it worked. I wasted my prime years doing dumb stuff.

I started reading about simple and effective.

I don't read a lot of coaches. But I read a lot of what a few people put out.

Everything Mark Rippetoe puts out is gold. 'Starting Strength' and the companion book 'Practical Programing" are pretty much gospel to me. His website www.startingstrength.com is excellent. Lots of form videos and coaching videos in the resource section.

Jason Ferruggia is really good. He's getting a touch new age as he gets older, but he is pretty darn good.

Don John, very much like Rippetoe in content but very good.

Robert dos Remedios isn't bad. But not really a "strength" coach.

Tnation.com can be useful but there is a lot of chemistry based bodybuilding articles there. Some stuff is good, but it takes some experience toured through their BS.

Nothing I'm sharing here is revolutionary or really all that original

Last edited:
Yeah, only reason I ever do lunges is for the one-sidedness of the movement.
I really don't like how rude you are to my lunges!! Kidding kidding I'll dump em, I honestly only added them because I thought I needed variety and a little rest but I guess going into my next workout day I'm not really sore by that point so a break isn't needed now that you mentioned it. I like squats better anyways lol blu 1, my lunges 0

The battle against squat rack curlers, or as I like to call them, douche-bros, is never ending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The battle against squat rack curlers, or as I like to call them, douche-bros, is never ending!

Ask them to work in and throw 315 on the bar.

Ask them to work in and throw 315 on the bar.

This dude is a freaking mammoth. He'd just curl it...

This dude is a freaking mammoth. He'd just curl it...

Then he should know better

Then he should know better

That's exactly what I was thinking. You obviously spend time here.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You obviously spend time here.

What do his legs look like? You may need to coach him on the movement

Nope. Dude looks like Clay Matthews Jr.'s twin brother. I got nothing for him, besides get out of the rack with that $&@?

Nope. Dude looks like Clay Matthews Jr.'s twin brother. I got nothing for him, besides get out of the rack with that $&@?

Do what you gotta do

Do what you gotta do

Oh, I did. I showed him what was up.
...And that was me slinking off to the Leg Press machine. I think I sense he's slightly intimidated.

What are your goals with them?

BTW: Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat

I want to get on Mike Boyle's good side.

Serious answer: I like them much better than barbell squats.

I want to get on Mike Boyle's good side.

Serious answer: I like them much better than barbell squats.
It's ok to like them better. But, for strength gaining purposes. I can squat much more than I can Bulgarian Split Squat. Much more. I can RFESS more reps, which is good for hypertrophy.

But for pure strength training, RFESS is not as effective as a low bar back squat

It's ok to like them better. But, for strength gaining purposes. I can squat much more than I can Bulgarian Split Squat. Much more. I can RFESS more reps, which is good for hypertrophy.

But for pure strength training, RFESS is not as effective as a low bar back squat

I'm much more interested in mobility than strength. I despise low bar back squats. I do love high bar, but they still require the Valsalva Maneuver and my BP is raging out of control.

I'm much more interested in mobility than strength. I despise low bar back squats. I do love high bar, but they still require the Valsalva Maneuver and my BP is raging out of control.
Why the adversion to the LBBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back