2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advise on increasing rotational flexibility... dynamic or static what's best, etc...

Weights tonight. Squats, dead lifts, bench, and lat pull downs, 3x5 of each except the last that was 3x8. It was my first time doing DLs, and I have to say I think I'll like them, but have to figure out how much weight to use. Everything else I felt was a good challenge but the DLs seemed a little easy. Also, I think I need to get gloves as my hands feel like they're taking a beating, and I lighten up due to my hands hurting more than not being able to do the weight. Maybe that will go away with time as well. HIIT tomorrow and rest on Sunday.

I need some advise on increasing rotational flexibility... dynamic or static what's best, etc...
Both. Cable wood choppers won't help. Give sometime to think about it. I will post something up for you.

Weights tonight. Squats, dead lifts, bench, and lat pull downs, 3x5 of each except the last that was 3x8. It was my first time doing DLs, and I have to say I think I'll like them, but have to figure out how much weight to use. Everything else I felt was a good challenge but the DLs seemed a little easy. Also, I think I need to get gloves as my hands feel like they're taking a beating, and I lighten up due to my hands hurting more than not being able to do the weight. Maybe that will go away with time as well. HIIT tomorrow and rest on Sunday.
No gloves. None. Don't be that guy.

We already know I'm that guy, chalk dried my hands up and tape left residue. Stickin with my little gloves and won't be concerned about looks

It depends on whether your lack of flexibility is due to an inability to turn due to muscular weakness, or muscular rigidity. In other words, are you incapable of making the move, or too stiff to make it.

Alright, Mr. Tough guy, how do you keep your hands from getting torn to ****?

Do work Ryan! Hands will toughen up and you'll be fine

It depends on whether your lack of flexibility is due to an inability to turn due to muscular weakness, or muscular rigidity. In other words, are you incapable of making the move, or too stiff to make it.
Too stiff to make it. Recovering from back injury has created a ton of tightness in lower back, glutes and hamstrings. I've been working on the glutes and hamstrings and they are getting better.

Too stiff to make it. Recovering from back injury has created a ton of tightness in lower back, glutes and hamstrings. I've been working on the glutes and hamstrings and they are getting better.

Foam rolling and lacrosse balls in the 'knot' places will help. You might look into dynamic stretching and even Feldenkrais exercises.

Alright, Mr. Tough guy, how do you keep your hands from getting torn to ****?
http://startingstrength.com/site/video/platform_managing_calluses

Also, chalk. Magnesium carbonate is your and my friend in the gym. Your hands will toughen up. it's part of the territory. My biggest problem with gloves, they make the effective width of the barbell bigger, making the lifts harder. At the same time, the padding of the gloves will not move consistently and thus unsafe. When you're trying to control a loaded, I want things as safe as possible

Foam rolling and lacrosse balls in the 'knot' places will help. You might look into dynamic stretching and even Feldenkrais exercises.
Foam roller and lacrosse ball have been my best friends for months.

http://startingstrength.com/site/video/platform_managing_calluses

Also, chalk. Magnesium carbonate is your and my friend in the gym. Your hands will toughen up. it's part of the territory. My biggest problem with gloves, they make the effective width of the barbell bigger, making the lifts harder. At the same time, the padding of the gloves will not move consistently and thus unsafe. When you're trying to control a loaded, I want things as safe as possible
The video was helpful as I have been doing it wrong and have big calluses. Also, there is no powder in my gym. Don't know if that is policy or people just don't but have never seen powder used.

The video was helpful as I have been doing it wrong and have big calluses. Also, there is no powder in my gym. Don't know if that is policy or people just don't but have never seen powder used.
Chalk is cheap (see what I did there). What's your gym?

The bricks of chalk that you can buy for rock climbing are a fantastic option if you need to bring your own. A bit less messy, and you can keep them in a bag to use when you need. I had a gym let me use those even though they frowned on chalk.

The bricks of chalk that you can buy for rock climbing are a fantastic option if you need to bring your own. A bit less messy, and you can keep them in a bag to use when you need. I had a gym let me use those even though they frowned on chalk.
Eco Balls.

Anytime fitness.
Eesh. Probably not. Which is a shame. An eco ball may work. Also, liquid chalk may be a good idea.

But there is no substitute for the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back