Wedge grooves and spin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply not the case. Grooves do not "grab the ball" and spin it. They simply don't. I wish I had a better way to say it or more credibility.

Grooves help with spin but not by grabbing the ball.

Tell that to a urethane ball after a high SS player hits it with a Pre-2010 U-groove wedge. I personally have torn up half a dozen ProVs in one round with those U-groove wedges from tight lies where there was ball first contact and no debris between the ball and club face. I mean literally rip through the cover so that I could see the second layer. With those U-groove I could spin a ball back 15-20 feet where with the new conforming grooves in the same situations I'm getting one-hoppers or balls that hit and sit.

Tell that to a urethane ball after a high SS player hits it with a Pre-2010 U-groove wedge. I personally have torn up half a dozen ProVs in one round with those U-groove wedges from tight lies where there was ball first contact and no debris between the ball and club face. I mean literally rip through the cover so that I could see the second layer. With those U-groove I could spin a ball back 15-20 feet where with the new conforming grooves in the same situations I'm getting one-hoppers or balls that hit and sit.
Send me their email addresses.

I can send them a snapchat

Remember everyone, don't take any of this PERSONAL. We are here to discuss, learn, agree and disagree.
Exactly. Why do the mods seem like they need to interject. Haven't seen anything disrespectful thus far this thread is loaded with neat i formation. Sometimes discussion may get a little heated but no need to lock 8ut the thread.

I have btw had to scrape ball cover out of the grooves of my x tours.

Exactly. Why do the mods seem like they need to interject. Haven't seen anything disrespectful thus far this thread is loaded with neat i formation. Sometimes discussion may get a little heated but no need to lock 8ut the thread.

It is their job. Many of us try to keep the mods in a place where they don't have to speak. Point is, we can agree or disagree, there is no need for any "personal" knife wounds. This site is better than that.

Whether you have to clean the balls cover out from the grooves of your wedge or not grooves don't impart spin to the ball... more than a few professionals have proven that grooveless wedges put the same spin on the ball...but I guess there will always be some that will never believe it no matter how much proof is given....

Double Post

Last edited:
Whether you have to clean the balls cover out from the grooves of your wedge or not grooves don't impart spin to the ball... more than a few professionals have proven that grooveless wedges put the same spin on the ball...but I guess there will always be some that will never believe it no matter how much proof is given....

There has not been a shred of proof provided with respect to this point. Theories and anecdotes? Sure. Proof? Not close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny enough, I have never had to clean golf ball out of the grooves. I have had to clean it off the clubface. have you ever actually looked at a scuff in a ball? The scuff isn't in a clean parallel pattern.

I've had to clean golf ball out of my Callaway jaws wedges. My jaws wedges tore up my golf balls, and spun the golf balls more!

I've had to clean golf ball out of my Callaway jaws wedges. My jaws wedges tore up my golf balls, and spun the golf balls more!
What's really interesting, the Jaws wedges and the original Vokey Spin Milled wedges are referenced in this thread often.

What's really interesting, the Jaws wedges and the original Vokey Spin Milled wedges are referenced in this thread often.
I don't think that I have tried either of the two. I played the Cleveland CG12s and CG15ss, both with square grooves.

Because the Jaws and the X Forged were the two from Callaway that did this, and it appears I was not alone. Can't speak about the Vokey's.

Because the Jaws and the X Forged were the two from Callaway that did this, and it appears I was not alone. Can't speak about the Vokey's.
I'm not making a point about right or wrong. Just that the same wedges get mentioned over and over. Speaks highly of those wedges.

I'm not making a point about right or wrong. Just that the same wedges get mentioned over and over. Speaks highly of those wedges.

They were spin machines for me, and they did not bother most distance balls, but any ProV or other tour ball could be toast depending on the lie and angle. Didn't happen everyday for me, but they did do some damage from time to time. I hated the groove rule change at first, but I have adjusted just fine and no longer have to worry about damaged balls other than from the cart path's and that happens now and then.

There has not been a shred of proof provided with respect to this point. Theories and anecdotes? Sure. Proof? Not close.

Exactly.....In fact I just had a convo with my local PGA pro/instructor and he started laughing....said he guarantees grooves impart spin.

I hate myself for not staying away from this thread.

The moment of impact is literally like 1/1000th of a second. The ball isn't on the clubface long enough for the grooves to impart spin. It makes intuitive sense to me that angle of attack, the club's CoG and loft, and hitting the ball below it's equator are the key factors.

Exactly.....In fact I just had a convo with my local PGA pro/instructor and he started laughing....said he guarantees grooves impart spin.

I do love when PGA Pros laugh at my thoughts....They all are such equipment experts. :D

I do love when PGA Pros laugh at my thoughts....They all are such equipment experts. :D
What's funny, my course owner friend laughed and said something to the effect of, "technique spins the ball, not the grooves."

Nobody has locked the thread. Nothing close to that actually. However THP mods keep a close eye on every conversation and if something is not civil or it becomes personal (which this has numerous times including insulting ones intelligence, insulting THPers as a whole) a mod will absolutely step in.

There are reasons that this forum is enjoyed by thousands and thousands of people and one of them is because of how civil it is. That will not change and we have some of the best moderators that work tirelessly to make sure it stays that way.

The whole point is, it is ok to agree or to disagree. You can hate the topic, hate the comments, just don't hate the person for feeling the way they do. Everything is subjective in life and in golf, but this forum is civil and we like it that way. I've been on other "slaughter house" golf forums where personal insults were the norm, but there is no reason for it and that is why I choose to be here and not on other sites.

Respect other's and their thoughts. One can disagree without being disrespectful to the person on the other end. Never loose sight that being here is a privilege, not a right.

I think with the Jaws it was how tight the spacing was with the grooves. They were great wedges but would eat balls for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I think with the Jaws it was how tight the spacing was with the grooves. They were great wedges but would eat balls for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The grooves were truly "box" grooves. The edge was pretty sharp when they were brand new. Glade those are in the past, though I did play well with them. I can stop my new wedges pretty dead and don't have to worry about ball damage. It has more to do with technique than I would have ever thought 2 or 3 years ago.

I hate myself for not staying away from this thread.

The moment of impact is literally like 1/1000th of a second. The ball isn't on the clubface long enough for the grooves to impart spin. It makes intuitive sense to me that angle of attack, the club's CoG and loft, and hitting the ball below it's equator are the key factors.

Which of these key factors do you think causes side spin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back