What makes a good THP forum member?

bassing33

Reaction score
Handicap
What makes a good THP forum member? IS it time spent reading every post? Is it number of posts? Overall insight into all things golf? Personally knowing people who are a part of the forum...?
It would be easy to say all of the above or its a complicated answer. But what sets apart a good member from someone who just posts a lot or is on every single day? How do you become a value to THP and it's members even if you can't devote massive amounts of time to the forum?

Don't be a jerk. Simple as that

Everybody is a good THPer.
And everybody will do it their own way.

Some general rules.
Don't be a jerk.
If you want more out of the forum, we offer the Albatross Club.
Enjoy THP the way you want to.

Post as much or as little as one wants to.

What makes a good THP forum member? IS it time spent reading every post? Is it number of posts? Overall insight into all things golf? Personally knowing people who are a part of the forum...?
It would be easy to say all of the above or its a complicated answer. But what sets apart a good member from someone who just posts a lot or is on every single day? How do you become a value to THP and it's members even if you can't devote massive amounts of time to the forum?

Everyone has their own activity level, so I don't think that is how to rate it. It is going to differ by each person. There is no need to post in every thread, and I don't know how you could read every single post. But give your thoughts where you have them, be respectful of everyone else and the items being discussed.

I think that is what keeps me here is that it is a discussion with friends (some I have met, some I haven't yet) and while we all have our own opinions everyone is usually respectful and keeps it above board.

For me its someone not being a d-bag, and who isnt just here for the Freebies with their hands out.

For me its someone not being a d-bag, and who isnt just here for the Freebies with their hands out.

Spot on here especially the last part. Be grateful for the opportunities you may get. Everyone’s personalities are different so I don’t think everyone will always get along but I do think overall the community has a very good mix of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there’s a lot of ways to be a good member. They all start with Rule 1. Don’t be a Richard.

Actually. I think they just about covers it.

Everyone has their own activity level, so I don't think that is how to rate it. It is going to differ by each person. There is no need to post in every thread, and I don't know how you could read every single post. But give your thoughts where you have them, be respectful of everyone else and the items being discussed.

I think that is what keeps me here is that it is a discussion with friends (some I have met, some I haven't yet) and while we all have our own opinions everyone is usually respectful and keeps it above board.

Agreed... when I first joined I did try to look at as many threads and information as possible and honestly it was exhausting... I have about 20-25 go to threads that I love to read and stay up on, many I don’t post or I contribute very little, but love the banter... it’s a super easy way to get opinions and perspectives without doing a ton of leg work from equipment to cars to courses or regions (NorCal, DMV, metro Denver) and of course events, I keep my leisure and library time filled with many things THP and it’s been awesome!

A good THPer might be someone who doesn't look down on golfers with lesser skills and is helpful when answering questions.

I really like the fact that although golf is what brought us here there are a million different ideas, opinions and topics to keep us coming back. I think a “good” THP’er is someone who contributes to the conversation in some way.

echo'ing don't be a richard. not saying i've never been a richard around here...

also another vote for not showing up for the free stuff then going ghost. post your thoughts. tell the world.

and i like to see involvement personally. either starting threads and/or participating in threads. this place is better when there is more content from people who are invested in the vision.

I don't think you have to become someone of value to be a good THP'er to be honest. People come and people go everyday, the community as a whole drives the forum. Talk, listen, learn, and get to know people as much or as little as you want. Like others have said though, the number 1 rule is "don't be a Richard".

Liking staff member posts even if they are not good because that gets you bonus entries to The Grandaddy.

Liking staff member posts even if they are not good because that gets you bonus entries to The Grandaddy.

I see what you did there and I like it.

Probably goes along with staff members not putting themselves on a pedestal. One of the best part of the current staff members is being able to interact as one with them and the fact they do it for the love of the game and the forum.

I don't think you have to become someone of value to be a good THP'er to be honest. People come and people go everyday, the community as a whole drives the forum. Talk, listen, learn, and get to know people as much or as little as you want. Like others have said though, the number 1 rule is "don't be a Richard".

The thing about communities, online and physical is you have to have new blood come in. Like a body of water, if you don’t get new water in it gets stagnant, THP is a great example of a healthy community I think. Always new people, and new ideas from longer term members, lots of good conversation and different points of view, it’s a good place to be.

Probably goes along with staff members not putting themselves on a pedestal. One of the best part of the current staff members is being able to interact as one with them and the fact they do it for the love of the game and the forum.

The best part for me is I am not tall enough to reach any pedestals.

Plus even if I was JB would remind me he outdrove me on 18 on Sunday so any chance of me having any confidence is generally beaten into submission quickly.

Just be yourself. Unless you're a D. Then don't be yourself :alien:

I think that's what makes THP great. All the different people. I talk to and have played golf with some really cool people I would have normally never meant.

Agreed with you here. I’m not always the best at it but I always try to engage with others personally rather than seeing a thread title and just posting the first thing that comes to mind.

I hope I’m not seen as a richard but on the internet, unfortunately it’s all about perception. But all in all, I think most members do a really good job of being civil and fun.

Don't be a jerk. Simple as that
Damn ... wish I had known about that on day 1. :alien:

Just do you. The basest purpose of a message board is to communicate, so do it in a manner that you're comfortable doing so, and within the rules. Lastly, as has been mentioned, if you are given the opportunity to review product, I think you owe it to the manufacturer and THP to do it.

I was just looking for a high-five :alien2:

I find that I fade in and out as my ability to play golf ebbs and flows. Getting married, changing jobs, and having children really shifted some priorities for me. But at the end of the day I love golf and will play as long as physically able. So it is nice to be a part of a group that I can engage with discussion and questions. So the consensus thus far is to be a good forum member don't be a Richard (unless your name is Richard and in that case be a respectful Richard) and enjoy the THP community.

Amen Mike. i would also add that if and when you get into an event or get a freebie dont disappear afterwords there are many of us that do the best we can to be a part of THP But have family and time restraints and we would love and appreciate the getting into an event. I have seen many get into an event and then you never hear from them again. So i guess that follows dont be a jerk.

Sent from my LG-AK495 using Tapatalk

I find that I fade in and out as my ability to play golf ebbs and flows. Getting married, changing jobs, and having children really shifted some priorities for me. But at the end of the day I love golf and will play as long as physically able. So it is nice to be a part of a group that I can engage with discussion and questions. So the consensus thus far is to be a good forum member don't be a Richard (unless your name is Richard and in that case be a respectful Richard) and enjoy the THP community.

Exactly! Life happens, you get busy, the forum will be here when anyone who goes on hiatus is ready to come back. Sometimes it's work, life, weather, or any of the million other reasons we get busy or drift from the game, it's all part of life and everyone is always welcomed back. But yes, that's the golden rule here. :D

THPrs are like golf swings, all different and effective in their own way. There is no blue print or mold.

Back