When you're off, how far off are you?

If I'm completely off, it's bad. Luckily as I've improved recently I've found my bad days are improving as well. Shot 84 yesterday and that was one of the worst ball striking days out recently. Used to be close to 90 or over if that happened in the past

Well usually it was manageable until late this season.

Shanks for rounds and rounds. So I guess rock bottom would now be my answer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can fall apart, but I try to find a way to salvage the round--whether that is a making a birdie towards the end or just trying to get a few good shots in a row or at least walk away feeling like I learned something from the round.

I'm always off to some degree. I usually get one thing working during a round (driver, irons, short game, putting). But nothing else seems to work.

I struggled with the driver/3 wood off the tee forever, and over the past few months have got it working. I played this weekend and had 0 penalties off the tee, but had 2 with the irons because I'm pushing and hooking them. Both penalties were par 3 holes with water on the left. I hooked both probably 25 yards from right to left, but was afraid to play the hook because I know as soon as I'd aim right I'd hit the push. The short game stunk too, I had the "2 chips/pitches" on every hole after 0 GIRs. And 16 putts over 9 holes when I should have been closer to 9 with 0 GIRs.

It drives me nuts because when I was hitting the driver OB, I was sticking greens with the irons. I would average 3-5 GIRs a round and would have several other approach shots stick greens but weren't GIRs because of the added penalty strokes.

I blame it on time/experience (or lack-there-of). One of these days though I'm confident that it will all come together.

I have been asking myself this exact question for a number of years. When I am off, I am so terrible it's insane. I fell like there is no middle. I am either good or bad. I am either playing well or I look like I have never played. My issues do not go round to round it usually works in blocks of time. When my season started back in April I was playing pretty good. I went for an early season lesson and my instructor was shocked where my swing was at. He said after the long winter we had he expected a lot of work to be done but I was already in mid season form. I continued to play well for the next two months. About halfway through my golf league I felt it starting to slip. Everything just kept getting worse and worse. I am at the point where I don't really want to play and that is not like me at all. The biggest issue I have is I really cant put into words what I an feeling when I swing a club. Kind of hard to ask for help when you can not put your struggle into words

When I'm off it's ugly. I mean 55/58 ugly yesterday. I only missed 1 fairway and my putting was fine.

My normal miss is thin but I took it to the extreme. Actually surprised how far a ball will go after hitting it with the sole of the club

Well........................as soon as I ever get on............................I'll be glad to tell you just how far off I was :D

But really, there are days when off is manageable and then days when off is like I never hit a golf ball in my life and wonder why I didnt stay home and mow the lawn, fix the dishwasher, and paint the family room instead.

I'm in the process of trying to be more consistent. And I've improved lots the past two years. I've beaten 80 twice ever (this year), and if either my drives, my irons, or putting falters a little, I'm struggling to beat 90.
If one of those is off, I'm off.
It's usually something simple that I can fix after, with a range session for driver, or irons, or using my putting mirror for putting always gets that back in gear. Always alignment, or a fault in my swing. But trying to fix things during the round always ends in disaster. So I do the best I can at the moment, and worry about fixing something after.

Pretty significantly, but I'm to the point where I can go into "grind mode" and limit the damage. But there is nothing related to golf as tiring mentally and physically as having to truly grind and work for every single shot.

The disparity is getting tighter, and the impact really just depends on when and how long it last during a round. I have inexplicable moments where the ball can go anywhere for a shot or two. I can get away with it at time depending on the type of issue or the amount and type of trouble on the hole. So could range from a scrambling par to a triple. The bad shots are not as bad or as frequent now, and I do a better job of accepting them and move on to limit the damage. I am mostly in the 80s now, with the occasional low 90s round.

When I'm off I'm north of 100, while my regular game is somewhere low to mid 90s. The worst game killer is running out of enthusiasm, where I just go through the motions without really exerting anymore. When I'm off my score is no longer competitive in stroke play, but it is still manageable in match play.

I'm getting better at analyzing my faults and getting myself back on track, so I'm having fewer rounds where it feels like nothing is working and I can't get anything back. Unfortunately though, it can often take 5-7 holes to get it figured out, and by then the score is already blown.

I do try to grind it out, but if my short game isn't there I end up north of 100. Good example of that would have been yesterdays doozy, a smooth 101 with six three putts

:banghead:

When things aren't going right, they are going way right. I have to start grinding, which means swinging at 3/4 and trying to give myself a shot at bogey. Typically this type of play is very tentative around the green, which hurts the card even more.

My best round this year was an even par 71. My worst was a 13 over 85. Different courses for those two scores but still that's my range between really good and really bad days

I can shoot 100+ when my heads not in it. If I'm mentally in it but the physical isn't clicking I can usually stay in the 80's.

For me it depends on which part of the game has gone. If my tee-game is off my scores are going to skyrocket with penalty strokes. If it's any other aspect of my game I can usually lean on the other parts of my game to keep my score reasonable.

I rarely go over 90, but putting up a 89 means I've messed up real good.

I got to play today (which haven't happened so often), and I put up 5 straight pars, after that I shot the next 5 drivers like 45° hooks to the right...I was like 90 yards right from my target. 5 times in a row. I stopped keeping score.

If it gets that bad I usually just leave and wait for a different day. about the only time I will drink on the course anymore is for scrambles.

Usually when I am off, its in the tee box ... and the more off I am the worse my tee shots become ... I can have 10-12 stroke swing on off days ...

A straight tee ball is a strength of mine so I don't put up big numbers very often. My worst 5 scores in my last 20 rounds are 80, 78, 77, and 76. I do seem to remember the big blow up rounds when they do happen. I had a day last March where I played 36 holes at my home course the same day with only a 10 minute break between rounds. I shot 87 in the morning and 73 in the afternoon!

Off day? I am over 100. Usually due to trouble off the tee or the dreaded shan$*!!
I then concentrate on getting one par, then go from there. Usually, it is those rounds where I have a really good shot or a birdie, so I generally do not sweat the score.

About a 15 stroke difference between my best and worst. It's quite aggravating to be honest.

Back