Nerdy

Revenge of the Nerds!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OH weather
All of the reviews are in and people say it's one of the best clubs ever made, but it has a hideous color combination and looks terrible visually. Are you still rushing out to buy it if it will help your game or do you go for another club that is more visually appealing but not as effective?

How much does how a club looks influence your decision to buy it?

Not precisely responsive, but I think confidence matters a lot. Looking at the top line of a club that looks great instills confidence before the shot.

Somewhat, I'll admit. For example, I really like the Wilson F5, but I doubt I would ever purchase them... now if they looked a little more like the V6s...

Some of the new Epic irons to me are hideous, as well as the latest TM M series. For that reason alone I would not want to hit them. To me less is more in my irons.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It plays a part for sure I think. If it isn't appealing to the eye a person tends to give it a quick glance and them move on before giving it a chance. There are other who don't care what something looks like if it helps.

I have to like what I am looking down at to have the confidence to hit it well.

To me looks matter a lot. I won’t even test a club that is ugly to my eye.

Looks matter a lot, 50/50 at least for me. I need to like the aesthetics.

Last edited:
Looks matter to me.

I've started getting past the looks factor. I still prefer something that suits my eye but it's not as huge of a factor anymore. For instance I absolutely hate how busy the crown of the G400 driver is, but I now play it because it performs for me. Looks are definitely still a factor but I'm much more open minded now.

Depends if I am just looking for some fun for 1 round or looking to game them in a long term relationship

To some extent...And even more so wi th putters

If it doesn't at least slightly fit my eye, I'll never get full performance out of it. The brain is strong.

I’ve played Altitudes. I think that answers for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'd prefer nice looking clubs, I'll play whatever works.

Case in point, my putter, Directed Force Reno.

I thought it was fairly hideous but my view of it quite literally has changed the more I've used it. It works, better than my last, better than all before it. So I like it very much.

I also played a Grenade driver in the past, hated the sole and never liked neon green. Neon green carries over to the Epic. More subdued, but it's there, don't like it.

Years ago I hit the store intending to buy the latest Scotty, walked out with a comparitively ugly HOG putter by DogLeg Right instead.

Even my PM grind wedges look funky, I'd much prefer a more traditional look, but no bother to me as long as they work.

I have no problem admitting the extent of my vanity. No way.

If it can cook I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When someone describes a club as hideous color combination and looks terrible visually that usually means I love it (Bridgestone J815 driver being perfect example)!

Looks do matter but you will adjust to most anything.

There are far too many club options out there to not play a club that suits your eye. Kind of like dating!!

There are far too many club options out there to not play a club that suits your eye. Kind of like dating!!

I gotta go with Popeye on this one. She's got be pretty to the eye.

Yes. But I’m willing to attempt to look over it if they perform the best for my game

Sent from HTX

I’m open to different looks, not a snob or stickler about anything, but sometimes a club is just ugly. I was at Dicks the other day killing time, they had some Cobra F7 irons on the rack for super cheap, nice KBS tour shafts, etc...they felt great in hand and I really liked how they set up and look at address. They’d probably be perfect clubs for me but holy crap from a cosmetic standpoint they’re fugly. They just look cheap, like a starter set from Target or something like that. I wouldn’t put them in the bag out of vanity.

Back