How Many Do You Test?

I buy off eBay so the answer is typically none. Next time, it'll probably be one ... W/S. If it performs well, it's a keeper. After this past weekend, I can really see myself with a full W/S bag for the foreseeable future.

Before I discovered THP was when I purchased my current bag. Now, knowing I what I know...I will probably hit as many as I can then get fit/demo my best options after.

Unfortunately I don't get the opportunity to try new clubs that often, so most of it is research based. However, my next driver will be a Fly-Z+ that I got to test out at the LIITA event and fell instantly in love with it.

I tend to hit just about every new club on the market at PGA SS. The M1 I just bought is the first one I ever purchased at a launch/fitting event.

When you are buying a new driver or in the market for a new driver, how many drivers do you test out at the store or demo day type of event?

As many as possible at a full out demo day. I attended both a Callaway & Titleist day at my course early this summer and was impressed at how well I hit a Titleist being I had never owned a driver from them. Too bad is was before the GBB release, but I have been on course demoing one for a couple of weeks.

At the most 2 or 3. If it doesn't "look right" to my eye I won't even test it.
Guess that's why I've stuck with Titleist or Taylormade all these years.

It used to be for me, if Ping came out with a new driver I bought it, G5, G10, G15!!. But then I won an R11s, that opened my eyes not only to other makes but to adjustability. Most recently, I decided to try mini drivers and tested the SLDR, Aeroburner and Callaway Mini. I think in today's market, testing 2-3 drivers is a minimum requirement.

Just gone through the process. Went to a number of demo days that my club put on. At many of them you could either be set up on a fairway and hit (closed first hole), or take a club out once fitted and try it on course. I did this with 915, XR and Ping G30. After those days went back to the pro, said I liked the 915 and XR and was lent one for a few rounds each. Had a second fitting to get both dialled in before each round. Made the decision that the 915 was better in terms of forgiveness vs length and that it had more tuning options for a club that needs to last me at least 2 to 3 seasons for the price.

I think using a launch monitor in store only to make a decision is a mistake, you have to get out on a course you regularly play and give these a go. Nothing is better than real world or in environment testing.

All of them. Or majority lol

Throughout the year I try and test most of them although I will admit there are certain brand stigmas that I have that I am trying to get over so I won't try certain brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In store? Usually whatever is the most new. Demo Day? I try to hit every one I can.

Thought I would bump this one with the new 2017 drivers hitting stores and people buying and testing.

How many did you test out?

I just got finished hitting almost every driver coming or on the market, so was curious how others are going about it.

How Many Do You Test?

So far I've hit the:
M1
M2
Triton
Epic
Epic SZ
F7

If we're counting 2016 releases:
Fusion
Jpx900
Ping G
Bridgestone JGR
XXIO Prime

Last edited:
I tend to casually hit all of them at some point. This year, I went straight to epic sz

I tend to casually hit all of them at some point. This year, I went straight to epic sz

That thing had your name written all over it. :D

That thing had your name written all over it. :D
It was pretty much a no brainer haha. I read every post of the grandaddy thread drooling about the epic drivers lol

It was pretty much a no brainer haha. I read every post of the grandaddy thread drooling about the epic drivers lol

Haha. The first time I hit it, I swear I turned to Dnevs and said "KC720 will have one of these". He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

Haha. The first time I hit it, I swear I turned to Dnevs and said "KC720 will have one of these". He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.
Hahahaha that's awesome. Glad to know my Internet golfer status travels well ?

On average 0.0

It's difficult for me to test stuff out. I did hit the F7 thanks to THP & Cobra before winning it though.

I have tried quite a few:

Epic
Epic sub zero
Fusion
Jpx900
Z565
M1
M2
917 D2
Triton

Didn't get to try various shaft options and lofts so I don't know the best fit. But the Srixon is probably on the top of the list. Wouldn't have even given them a try had I not won the z335 from THP

None, yet. Between managing two houses, and a new kid arriving on the scene, my golfing has been done vicariously through THP. Now that we're getting into a routine, that's about to change and I hope to make my way to the PGA Tour SS and start hitting things like a madman. Starting with the Triton, D300, F7, and Epic. Hope I manage to bring a decent swing with me!

I will test Callaway, Titleist and Cobra for my fitting and possibly Ping because that's what my coach has carts for. With those 4 brands and their options we'll get what we are looking for numbers wise and fits my eye.

If I make it to a box store then I'll hit whatever is there for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally test all the new stuff that comes out, that I can get a hold of, but not all in the same session. I usually only test 2 or 3 per session, and then keep in mind the ones that impress me so I can try them again.

So far I tested six drivers before settling on the Epic.
Epic
SZ
M2
JPX900
Fusion
Wilson(Triton)

So far I've tested these drivers:
Epic
Fusion
F7
M1
M2