What Do You Think About This From USGA?

THP sure is filled with a bunch of loners...I kid of course but maybe they should be worried about why so many of us are able or have to play so many solo rounds. If the courses were packed I doubt this would be an issue, it is so rare to be paired up during the week I am shocked when it happens.

Speak for yourself. All the damn snowbirds are back so tee times are hard to come by, rates are sky high and rounds are a minimum of 5 hours.

Looks like I won't be sending the USGA any money for a membership this year.

Speak for yourself. All the damn snowbirds are back so tee times are hard to come by, rates are sky high and rounds are a minimum of 5 hours.

And it hasn't even started to snow here yet...five hour rounds are for the birds.

Don't think much of it. I guess if I abide by it my handicap will at least double. I play much better walking and the vast majority of those rounds (several at or below par that WERE POSTED because I put in all honest scores, good or bad) are alone as not many are into walking at my club. Will be lucky to get in 10 rounds a year according to these new rules because I play golf for enjoyment and for me that is walking the course.

Lame as can be. Find a PIC and it doesn't matter. One more step to deal with.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I only play about 1 round a week during summer with other people. I play in a lot of 2 man tourneys but those dont count. The rest of my rounds are solo so im out of the handicap game as well.

Liars just became in demand golf buddies.

If over the next few months you start to notice a lot more people are asking you to go out golfing with them, it's time for a long, hard look in the mirror:)

I play as a single a lot with guys I have never met before and they never pay any attention to my score so that's not really any different than playing solo. Are they going to do start requiring that someone atest to every single round you post? I think it's time to stop wasting money on the USGA and local associations like the SCGA... Let's see how well they Do when no one renews their memberships.

I don't like this idea. If they want true peer review, then they might as well go all they way and say any round played without at least one golfer from your club is ineligible. Which seems more extreme but would actually make more sense, if peer review is actually that important.

Having golfers get their rounds attested by random strangers or golfing buddies who are not that rules-observant can't be better than self-attesting, IMO. So this is really just a waste of effort on the USGA's part, and one that I can see only resulting in fewer participants in the handicap system.

First the USGA makes the mistake of changing TV networks for the US Open from NBC to FOX and now this? I play a lot of rounds alone and I will continue to do so and my rounds will count. Just another reason for the third straight year I will not give the USGA a dime for a membership!

As others mentioned, how are they going to enforce this if people are entering their scores? Wonder if they're going to start requiring signed score cards to be sent in.

This is just recockulous.

It appears that the USGA is acting like a government agency - what a bunch of BS.

This is how it works in Sweden, we are not allowed to count solo rounds towards hcp, you need to have another association member to validate. No big issue for me (since I have not been used to anything else) but i can see the problem for you that play a lot of solo rounds and want to count it towards hcp. And I agree, cheaters will find way to still cheat.

Cheaters gonna cheat! Doesn't matter what rule is put in front of them, if they want to cheat on the score then they will do it anyway. I play a lot solo, or with randoms from work etc and use Golfshake to calculate my 'handicap' and I'll continue to do so. Is this really necessary?

I'll treat that rule the same way I treat the rule that you're supposed to post your score for handicap every time you play--by ignoring it. Not all my rounds are serious, and the ones that are, I'll post whether I played solo or not.

Posting lower scores than you actually shoot only hurts you. If you use your cap for a competition and you post 12 but really you are an 18, You lose.

About half of my rounds are solo on weekday mornings. I'd rather they give me a drop when my ball is in someone's divot.

I know someone already asked and I apologize since I skimmed the thread, but how can they enforce this?

I also play a bunch solo/with strangers as most of my friends don't golf as much as I do.

I agree with you. It just surprised when I tried to post that score. I counted all of those putts, I swear!
Dont sweat it I've had that happen a couple times to me also. Actually it kind of made me giggle & happy I overachieved

USGA Changes to Handicap System for 2016

USGA Changes to Handicap System for 2016

So for 2016 USGA has said you are no longer able to post a score for handicap when playing solo, complete details have not been released yet but that's the jist of it.

I only play solo for a quick 9 once in awhile so it's not much of an issue for me, but some of you I know play solo a great deal. What's your thoughts?

Posting lower scores than you actually shoot only hurts you. If you use your cap for a competition and you post 12 but really you are an 18, You lose.
I post my high and low scores. I don't post the scores where I'm really going out to just practice things on the course, or doing something silly like my last round where I only carried 7 clubs because I wanted to get some exercise walking, and hitting balls while I walk makes it more fun.

I was not happy when I saw the change as i play solo quite a bit. I tried finding more details but it looks like I have to wait until I receive my 2016 USGA rules book.

What I am afraid of is that I will look like I'm sandbagging when I do play in a event when using handicaps since I'm not really recording all my scores now.

Back