Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

Yup. That is it. This thing will have to be pulled from my cold, dead hands. Off the deck twice with spectacular results today, including holding a green from 245 out from a lie in the rough. Off the tee this thing was just a missile with 3/3 fairways hit and filthy long, only about 20 yards behind jdtox's absolutely clobbered drives. Dean told me this thing would be great for me, but I had no idea it would be this good this quickly. The man knows his stuff and Callaway hit a home run with this thing for me.

Has anyone done a side by side with the 815 Alpha? I just got an 815 14* that I paired with a Fujikura Motore F3 70 ATX and it is magical off the tee. I haven't tested it off the deck but so far I love what I'm seeing. Fairway woods have never been a strong point of my game so I'm always looking for that little extra something.

Thats interesting and I have not really compared the two. I have both and will do it this weekend.

Has anyone hit both the mini bertha and the 816 off the tee? What differences did you see distance/launch/forgiveness wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone hit both the mini bertha and the 816 off the tee? What differences did you see distance/launch/forgiveness wise?

I've only demoed the mini Bertha so no on course experience here. They are both long and true. Obviously the 1.5 was longer at 12* but didn't fit the gaps in my bag well and I couldn't hit it off the deck. For that reason alone, it was dismissed and off to the 816 I went. Adjustability in the 816 is there if you want forgiveness or a more penetrating flight, more than the 1.5 has.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

Today I tried the 816 in a sim at Golf Galaxy. Tried it with weight in both positions. It was impressive in the back position and then became and absolute rocket launcher in the forward position. I honestly did not know that I had it in me to put that level off ball speed on a poor ball. If this club performs anywhere near this level in an actual course, then it is an absolute keeper.

Last edited:
This looked awesome at address for me. Didn't have time to hit it

You need to go back and hit it. They are very good.

It's definitely on my list my man. Loved the look

Got to try this today and while it had the same shaft as my gamer, overall it just didn't beat out my XR fwy. Even though it has highest MOI I still couldn't get it airborne like my XR

Found a good deal on one of these at a local golf store... Feedback still positive overall on these from people gaming them?

Found a good deal on one of these at a local golf store... Feedback still positive overall on these from people gaming them?

Haven't played mine since my last feedback on here, but it's legit. A unique sound with the heavy weight in the front, but the results speak volumes. For me to be confident in this thing from the rough, when previously I wouldn't take one from the fairway, says a ton. This thing is legit and the stock shaft Rogue I/O is a great pairing.

Tried out the 16 deg I got from Freddie today and like it much better than the GBB 3W, just sets up better for me behind the ball. Not any longer that I could tell but I made better contact the couple of time I hit it off the deck.

Favorite. 3w. Ever.

This is a weapon for me, a stone cold weapon.

You liked it more than the GBB?

Yes. A lot.

Now, keep in mind, I spin the ball with my AoA so this is perfect for me out of the two.

Crazy good laterally though. Dean mentioned it in the review too, its the highest MOI in their fairway woods.

Favorite. 3w. Ever.

This is a weapon for me, a stone cold weapon.

Yes. Sir. I had quite the feeling that you and Phil would be killing these FW's at the grandaddy. Happy to hear it worked out for you. Might be my favorite FW's ever.

Yes. Sir. I had quite the feeling that you and Phil would be killing these FW's at the grandaddy. Happy to hear it worked out for you. Might be my favorite FW's ever.
I'll put it this way, I was hitting it further than some ZooCrewers drivers. Bomber.

I'll put it this way, I was hitting it further than some ZooCrewers drivers. Bomber.

I wanna be like Jman when I grow up.

Favorite fairway on the market...and I've hit them all.
Lofty, Lofty praise from this man. And I am inclined to agree, which is why one is in my bag.

Damn, I can't wait to hit mine tomorrow for the first time. Have the 16°with a kuro kage S flex ready to go. Can't wait

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back