2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardio sucked tonight. I did the treadmill of stairs for 30 minuets and it kicked my ass. It really gets the glutes firing but I couldn't do anything else with my legs after. Ended up putting a huge focus on my core with the goal of regaining some distance for next golf season.

Cardio sucked tonight. I did the treadmill of stairs for 30 minuets and it kicked my ass. It really gets the glutes firing but I couldn't do anything else with my legs after. Ended up putting a huge focus on my core with the goal of regaining some distance for next golf season.
As an experienced word of advice, do cardio after weights. Also, if you do mix in treadmill after a weights session, keep it to 20 minutes at the most. The long distance cardio is very hard on your body and after weights your body may start secreting cortisol.

I usually do 15 mins cario go do some weights and do another 12 mins of cardio for my afternoon session but the gym was stupid busy so I just kept going until it cleared out a little.

It was one of these machines. I like to do 5 minuets head on then 5 facing right and 5 facing the left.

Squats, presses, and deads yesterday. I've been fighting a lean forward on my squats when I start back up; what causes that and how can I fix it aside from just trying to focus on my back being more vertical than it feels? Presses are starting to feel better, I think I've got the bump working for me now and can feel the timing you've talked about to start the press. Deads are always fun and nothing to report.

A guy from my office works out at the same gym and was there yesterday and talked about being workout buddies, so might have someone to spot for me and also help me with form when I'm not videoing, so that could be fun. He also talks a lot so we'll see how long the workouts take...

Squats, presses, and deads yesterday. I've been fighting a lean forward on my squats when I start back up; what causes that and how can I fix it aside from just trying to focus on my back being more vertical than it feels? Presses are starting to feel better, I think I've got the bump working for me now and can feel the timing you've talked about to start the press. Deads are always fun and nothing to report.

A guy from my office works out at the same gym and was there yesterday and talked about being workout buddies, so might have someone to spot for me and also help me with form when I'm not videoing, so that could be fun. He also talks a lot so we'll see how long the workouts take...
Makes me happy. Let me think about the squat lean. 'chest up' is rarely cue I use for the squat. We can fix it pretty simply.

Neb,

I'm only guessing here, but I bet you're breaking your hips then your knees when you're squatting. Think knees and hips at the same time. I will try and make a video on how to fix this. Otherwise Google "starting strength TUBOW "

As a general rule, your nipples should be pointed at the floor at the bottom.

Here is my first post in this thread and hopefully I can keep this going. I was at a hotel in Illinois on Tuesday for a work meeting and decided to head down to the fitness center and hit up the treadmill. I haven't done any kind of exercise since doing the Insanity program last winter. I really surprised myself, somehow I was able to go 2 miles nonstop at my normal jogging speed. It really motivated me to keep this up! I'm thinking starting next week I am going to try and do Insanity at least 3 days a week and start hitting up the gym during lunch and do some cardio.

Not sure why but lunges are the bane of my existence...

Lunges effing suck. I can elaborate more why, but safe to say, I don't have time for them and I'm happy about that.

Sounds like http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/basics/definition/con-20027238

Nasty stuff. I have a tendency to get it in my left thumb. I must use a strong grip with the long thumb against the grip. If you use a computer a lot it can be caused by squeezing the mouse. If you play guitar, that can cause it unless you use a cradle grip.

Yep, this bites. Was diagnosed in 2012 and it has seriously impeded my golfing and dramatically limited full swing practice.

Makes me happy. Let me think about the squat lean. 'chest up' is rarely cue I use for the squat. We can fix it pretty simply.
I think chest up in the same thought as back tight. It helps keep my lower back flat.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think chest up in the same thought as back tight. It helps keep my lower back flat.

From a coaching point of view in my experience , "big chest" is a lot less problematic than "chest up" as a cue, only because I don't want the trainee to even think about lifting the chest in the squat.

feel pretty good about pulling 2x my body weight less than 8 weeks after tearing my calf muscle. Not picture perfect or text book, but a good lift nonetheless.

Here is my first post in this thread and hopefully I can keep this going. I was at a hotel in Illinois on Tuesday for a work meeting and decided to head down to the fitness center and hit up the treadmill. I haven't done any kind of exercise since doing the Insanity program last winter. I really surprised myself, somehow I was able to go 2 miles nonstop at my normal jogging speed. It really motivated me to keep this up! I'm thinking starting next week I am going to try and do Insanity at least 3 days a week and start hitting up the gym during lunch and do some cardio.
Hotel fitness centers are a great kick in the butt for my fitness when I'm on the road, I usually have more time, and need something to do! Maybe I should just wander into a gym every once in a while over my lunch hour, might actually be able to fit that into my schedule!

Men's Health considers 14 to be a good goal.

Man that seems like ALOT. I know guys that can't do one...

So I will say short term goal is 10 and long term I will shoot for 14. I can do 7 now.

So I will say short term goal is 10 and long term I will shoot for 14. I can do 7 now.
7 is workable. No shame there

i am on a goal for 10, I have a few more than you to go to get there.

Down 10 lbs since i started the diet/training. Looking forward to losing more

Last year I got to 15 doing partials and 7s. I'll elaborate further in a bit.

Last year I got to 15 doing partials and 7s. I'll elaborate further in a bit.

That chin up progression program you shared is amazing.

Really good workout this afternoon. Squats, bench and DL. Workouts are going great but I really need to dial in the diet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really good workout this afternoon. Squats, bench and DL. Workouts are going great but I really need to dial in the diet

I make fun of it often, but "if it fits your macros" iifym is pretty good.

Did a really nice shoulder and chest workout today and then 30 minutes on the treadmill. 25 minutes high incline walk and a 5 minute run. Drenched by the end of all of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back