Iron Set Wedges vs. Stand Alone Wedges

TWO2SEVEN

Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious what the pros/cons and opinions are on using wedges that come as part of an iron set versus buying stand alone wedges.

I've used and like both. The Cleveland wedges are higher quality than the Adams set wedges I've used, but I've gotten similar results from both.

Love set wedges in my PW and AW/GW because I'm a full swinger there and they are designed for that with their perimeter weighting, just like the rest of the set. Into the SW and LW though, I'm a stand alone guy as those are my touch shot wedges.

Set wedges always felt to bulky to me for some reason. But then again I use ATV wedges and they are on the bigger side so really I contradict myself...

Just curious what the pros/cons and opinions are on using wedges that come as part of an iron set versus buying stand alone wedges.

As a general rule.
Set wedges feature solid gapping for full swings and more forgiveness due to perimeter weighting and larger soles.
Separate wedges are usually muscle back to a general degree and will feature more versatility for shot shaping as well as manipulating the club head.

Hope that helps.

I adore set wedges. They are the only wedges that I will full swing.

My set goes up through the PW. I am picking up new wedges today, the MD3 in 54 and 58 but with the same shaft as my irons. I do hit both of those clubs full when the distance calls for it and my fitter put me into an A flex but Callaway is going to stiffen the tip to keep the feel around the greens.

Set wedge all the way to my AW. Just feels better on full swings.

Love set wedges in my PW and AW/GW because I'm a full swinger there and they are designed for that with their perimeter weighting, just like the rest of the set. Into the SW and LW though, I'm a stand alone guy as those are my touch shot wedges.

Since I can't say it any better I'll just quote this.

My thoughts exactly. I'll add that having matching shafts throughout the set is also desirable.

The set wedges I got with the Cobra Fly Z clubs are amazing. Awesome feel.

My set only came with a PW so I bought some cheap Dunlop DDH wedges in 56, 60 and 64 and as a new golfer I find them near impossible to hit well, but the set PW is my most consistent club. Can you buy perimeter weighted wedges separately?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone!
The set wedges I got with the Cobra Fly Z clubs are amazing. Awesome feel.
My Amp-D set came with a PW, GW, and LW. I really like the feel of them, especially with the graphite shafts.

My set only came with a PW so I bought some cheap Dunlop DDH wedges in 56, 60 and 64 and as a new golfer I find them near impossible to hit well, but the set PW is my most consistent club. Can you buy perimeter weighted wedges separately? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Depending on the set you can usually find individual clubs either on eBay or the OEM's website.

Depending on the set you can usually find individual clubs either on eBay or the OEM's website.
They didn't do anything other than a pitching wedge in my set, or individually. Wonder if you can get a set of perimeter weighted wedges in say SW/LW. I'll have to search around. Or maybe just get some lessons and learn to use mine better.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The only wedge that is strictly stand alone for me is my 58/60˚ wedge. I've used set SW with good success and would have probably picked one up if PING offered one, though I don't mind going stand alone here either. Set GW/UW all the way if it's offered. Other than chipping, I don't use the 50 for many specialty shots and it's a gap club for me on approaches.

When I got my G25's a couple of years ago, I ordered a SW and a LW that were not "set" wedges. I had an awful time hitting them. I finally caved in and got matching G25's SW and LW and started hitting better almost immediately. Just looking down at them at address was a confidence builder for me.

I use set wedges to the Gap wedge (50*) for the G25s, did the same with the G15s and G5s. It's a comfort thing for me, the set wedges have the same feel as the rest the set.

I like a set PW, anything shorter than that I like stand alone wedges. I just enjoy hitting wedges though and it's probably what I spend the most time working on at the range, they're just fun to hit for me.

For me, I use wedges that match my irons for full shots and see them as nothing more than higher lofted irons, but I like special wedges so I can really lay them open if needed for less than full shots. I've gone this route for years and years, set after set.

Like many others, love set wedges for full swings. My standalone wedges are for soft touch shots, sand shots, etc. I never take a full swing with them.

As a general rule.
Set wedges feature solid gapping for full swings and more forgiveness due to perimeter weighting and larger soles.
Separate wedges are usually muscle back to a general degree and will feature more versatility for shot shaping as well as manipulating the club head.

Hope that helps.

I just leaked something new. Cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like a set PW, anything shorter than that I like stand alone wedges. I just enjoy hitting wedges though and it's probably what I spend the most time working on at the range, they're just fun to hit for me.

I enjoy hitting them too. I struggle with getting the ball in the air, but not with wedges (obviously). :)

Never owned a set AW. Always been a 3 wedge kinda guy. Love taking full swings with my wedges. They just go so high and have so much spin.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a reason why my signature was updated over the last several months from Vokey 54/58 to Apex (set) AW/SW. They're just SO much more consistent for this hacker to hit, especially on full swings that launch them up with tons of spin. I have a 60 lob wedge now too, but the Apex set wedges are fantastic. I'm a believer in the set wedges (at least for the Apex).

Back