What rules in golf do you like?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
We have threads on the rules of golf and what should be updated. We have threads on what you would eliminate from golf. I’d like to know what rules people do like and what about the game makes sense.

People seem to have lots of issues with the game but still play. So what is it about the game that you like. And I’m not talking about hanging with your buds. I want to know what about golf makes you keep coming back.

For me it's when I have those moments when you pure a shot and say man if I could just do this all the time.

That and a bad day at golf is still better than a good day at work!

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

What I love is the chase of perfection. The competitor in me loves the challenge of trying to be better than my last round. Along with that the integrity and honestly that goes hand in hand playing the game we all love.

My favorite rule is Rule# 1 for me. "Don't be a Richard!" lol. All the other rules I can live with because I love the game.

I like the number of clubs rule. If your gapping is right there shouldn't be any issues. But if you want two drivers in your bag then you get to decide which other club is removed and strategy comes into play. Sometimes it can work, see Mickelson at the 2006 Masters.

I truthfully just enjoy the integrity and honest that golf holds you accountable for, whether it be strokes for penalties or drops or whatever. Some rules get taken advantage of and knowledge is power, so I am all for that.

I hate all rules.

Damn anarchists :alien:

If I want to carry 18 clubs I will(and I do).
If I want to use wedges that spin the ball more I will(and I have).
If I don't like that shot and want to take a mulligan I will(who hasn't).
If I want to drop a ball in a spot that is more convenient for me and my playing partners I will(again, who hasn't).

If I want to carry 18 clubs I will(and I do).
If I want to use wedges that spin the ball more I will(and I have).
If I don't like that shot and want to take a mulligan I will(who hasn't).
If I want to drop a ball in a spot that is more convenient for me and my playing partners I will(again, who hasn't).
How can you sleep at night?

I don't know that it's so much the rules that I like or dislike so much as it's the integrity of the honor system that is the basis of the game. Is there another sport where the players police themselves and penalize themselves for infractions? There is a level of honor and personal responsibility in this game that's not present in other modern sports. That, to me, is the "greatness" of the game that keeps me coming back.

There is never a point where you can no longer improve. That's why I love it.

I like the play it as it lies, rule. Because it infuriates Canadan, and he hits in to more peoples divots than anyone I have ever seen in my life.

:alien:

I like the 14 club rule, don't see any reason to carry more that that.

Play the ball as it lies .... and I enjoy watching it.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's so much the rules that I like or dislike so much as it's the integrity of the honor system that is the basis of the game. Is there another sport where the players police themselves and penalize themselves for infractions? There is a level of honor and personal responsibility in this game that's not present in other modern sports. That, to me, is the "greatness" of the game that keeps me coming back.

Well said, my friend. There's only one other instance in professional sports where I can think of it - Patrick Rafter in tennis, two points from winning the match, and the line judge makes a bad call against the opponent. Rafter argues AGAINST the call with the opponent, and opponent gets the point, and ultimately wins the match.

Always been a big fan of sportsmanship - one reason why I'm still a big rugby fan because they refer to the referee as "Sir." And the home team traditionally takes the away team out for beers after the match, no matter how heated.

So here I am with golf, yet another fan.

My favourite rule isn't really a rule, but a foundation of the game we love.

From Section I: Etiquette - The Spirit of the Game - Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

That, without question, is what makes golf so badass. Respect this, and we will get along gloriously.

I like the play it as it lies, rule. Because it infuriates Canadan, and he hits in to more peoples divots than anyone I have ever seen in my life.

:alien:

You shut your wh.... nevermind. It does infuriate me at times.

It's posting season again... No more rolling... :(

6.2 (a) is probably my favorite.

I like the red stake rule. One shot only, screw that white stake!

I like that it is a game of honor where you call penalties on yourself instead of a group of officials doing so(Obvious recent blunders by the USGA excluded). I really love that the game is played outside with the weather and terrain allowing for an infinite number of shot selections and adjustments.

Most everything I love to do in my freetime is outside - boating, paddling, biking, wake boarding, hunting, fishing, jet skiing, and snow skiing are my other hobbies. Hobbies that I plan on starting this year after I retire are kite surfing and fly fishing. Indoor activities like bowling, darts, cards/board games, television, or billiards have little to no appeal to me.

To quote a tee shirt I saw once...

I hate golf.
I hate golf.
I hate golf.

"Nice shot!"

I love golf.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rule 35.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back