Cobra King Forged Irons Preview

I had the opportunity to hit these today and both of these sets look great down by the ball. A few thoughts about each…

KING TEC FORGED: I hit the 7 iron in this line and down at address looks close to the AMP Forged I play now. The top line is a bit thicker but other than that not much difference between them. These did feel heavier than what I am used to but I don’t know how much they weight in comparison to my set. Feel off the face for center strikes are pure just like I am used to feeling and with mishits you know immediately but the distance loss is minimal. Speaking of distance, the 7iron carried 165 consistently on center strikes for me which is 5 more yards than my max currently. Peak ball flight was right at 35yds and right in line with my set. Overall, I think these irons not only look the part but preform very well and would be great for someone who is looking for a forged feel and wants forgiveness at the game-improvement irons level.

KING MBs/CBs: If I could only describe these in two words it would be “Simply beautiful”. Personally I love the black/orange combo on these irons. Down by the ball these present as slim of a topline as almost any players type iron(especially the MBs). These also felt heavy to me when I tested them and had the same shafts as the TEC irons so maybe that is the difference. The feel of the CBs and MB’s are undistinguishable on center strikes, both are so pure it didn’t even feel like I hit a ball. On miss-hits both clubs let you know when it wasn’t a good strike and I would say the MB is a little bit more pronounced with its feedback. These clubs aren’t going to win any distance awards and for me I saw identical distances with the MB’s and the CB’s both carrying 152-153yds on center strikes. This is about 7yds less than my average with my current club and 12 less than the TEC line. However, if you are really considering a combo set of these or even a full CB set, I don’t think distance is your motivation and if it is I would recommend the TEC line over these to you. Peak height came in at 38yards on average and most likely due to the increase in loft and a bit more spin than the TEC produced. Overall, if you are looking for an iron that has one of the slimmest profiles out there and has some forgiveness in it (especially on the toe) than these are worth your time to look at. Lastly, for those that don’t like the black/orange color combo a chrome version will be available in the February timeframe.

I hit the King Forged Tec the other day at the Golfsmith in Tucson...Wow. These are nice. I hit them against the Mizuno 850 JPX Forged, Callaway Apex, and Titleist 716 AP2. By far the Cobras had the most consistent results and best dispersion. All the clubs felt great and had that intrinsic, "Nothing" feel when flushed. The Cobras were best on miss-hits as far as feedback and forgiveness and were great on ability to shape and flight, as well as realistic lofts and gapping with my current woods and hybrids.
I would not hesitate to purchase these.

Saw the cb/MB combo in golftown today. Wow so nice.

Got a chance to hit both the tec forged and the mb/cb this afternoon and all I can say is wow! I thought they were both good looking from the pictures but in hand they're even better. The tec forged are clean, the pattern on the badging is gorgeous, and they feel awesome. The cb/mb are clearly made for a better player IMO, but also feel great. Not impossible blades to hit at all, very similar feel to my m3 irons in the longer irons 6, 5, 4. The clubhead seems tiny, but not hard clubs to hit at all. I would love to get these on the course. My distances were very similar on the similar at GS with both 7 irons, maybe 5 yards longer with the tec. I think cobra has a winner with both these sets if they can get people to hit them. I'd love to give the cb/mb a real run for a few rounds.

I hit all three irons as well. I think the biggest surprise is the forged tec irons. They feel pretty damn good and launch well. A lot of folks will enjoy them. Stacks up good against the likes of apex lines

pgass didn't have either set to demo today, unfortunately. but i did get to see them. the king pro are gorgeous. i don't mind the black and orange like i thought i would. man, they are teeny tiny though. the forged tec were next to the pros, and they weren't as large as i anticipated. top line is very squared off which i like. the blade length is quite a bit longer than the pro, making me second guess playing a blended set. i was thinking forged tec 5-6, cb 7-8, mb 9-gw, but i'd need to spend some time going back and forth between the 6i forged tec and 7i cb to make sure i was comfortable. i don't think the c taper would be for me, though.

I just tried the forged tec, and I hit them just as good if not better than my Apex... They are good.

They look great too!

I got a chance to hit both the King Forged Tecs and the cb/mb combo I set this past weekend at Golfsmith. The King Tecs were definitely the longer of the 2 as I think the lofts are about 2-3 degrees stronger, but the are very forgiving and you don't lose a lot of distance on miss hits. As someone else mentioned they have a thicker top line than the Amp forged I play now which I wasn't a fan of, but there is no denying they these are great irons. I could work the ball easily left and right in the simulator. The ones I hit had KBS c taper lite shafts.
The combo set were much softer and not as long, but the feel was incredible. I liked them better than the Amp Cell Pro mb irons that I recently sold. I would probably order the entire set in cavity backs. They were very soft. The ones I hit had KBS C taper shafts which is what I game in my irons now. If you're looking for a new set of irons definitely give both of these 2 a shot.

If I had the funds available I would seriously be looking at the cb/mb set.

Saw these in person today and wow! They look great. Tiny but great.
6151156af0f9da6fb489484989314569.jpg

0d967646b1daaaa29c43e62792b8174e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw these in person today and wow! They look great. Tiny but great.
6151156af0f9da6fb489484989314569.jpg

0d967646b1daaaa29c43e62792b8174e.jpg

Are they two toned or is that just the lighting, either way that's a sexy iron.

Are they two toned or is that just the lighting, either way that's a sexy iron.
It's just the lighting. They're dark, like the top part in that picture.

I hit the King Forged Tec the other day at the Golfsmith in Tucson...

Fascinating, the idiots at my two local Golfsmiths locations did not even know that Cobra had new irons coming out. And, they had no inventory of the new Cobra King driver - only one demo with a stiff shaft.
grrrr!

I am so close to pulling the trigger on the Apex CF 16 irons, but now I want to hit these first, especially the Forged Tec set. Damn you, Cobra. ;-)

Something about a black set of irons that look soo good

Tried these at a demo day and to my eye they were one of the most attractive irons there. Also, got to demo the F6 mixed set. Both were pretty good. The F6 was very high launching and very forgiving.

The Forged Tec will appeal to a lot of people as it was a well rounded compact head and came with good shaft options. The ball flight was exactly what you would expect and the forgiveness not too bad. Besides the awesome look it was a little underwhelming and just kind of played exactly how you might expect. Which was probably a good thing to the sorts of people that will be looking to buy it.

TBH though the iE1 just blew them all away. Could basically get GI forgiveness in a head that looked very compact at address.

I hit cobra irons now , i use an older set of s2 forged 3 4 and 5 irons and s3 pros with project x 6.5 and havent found a set ive liked more . i hit the king cobras and needless to say im ready to pull the trigger on the irons but looking into what shafts im putting in them. I hit the ltd , nice feeling driver but quiet .

I hit cobra irons now , i use an older set of s2 forged 3 4 and 5 irons and s3 pros with project x 6.5 and havent found a set ive liked more . i hit the king cobras and needless to say im ready to pull the trigger on the irons but looking into what shafts im putting in them. I hit the ltd , nice feeling driver but quiet .

Are you considering sticking with your PX 6.5?
Off topic, but check this out

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?76385-THP-Regional-Rivalry-Ohio-vs-Michigan

Walked into Edwin Watts today to pick up some golf balls and saw these on the rack. King Forged tec irons. Stock CTL shafts. These things feel absolutely amazing. Haven't hit the rest of the new cobra line but these irons are probably the best feeling and longest cobra irons I've ever hit. These things are absolutely fantastic.

image_zpsshglb3mr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

i picked up a set of these the other day. Two rounds and they are easy to hit and very soft.

image_zpsshglb3mr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

i picked up a set of these the other day. Two rounds and they are easy to hit and very soft.

Those irons look amazing. I swung them the other day at a pga SS and just liked the feel. Wish I was a better player and could play them.

Finally had the chance to hit these today, the CB/MB combo was really fun to hit, but I am nowhere near good enough to hit these.They have a great feel through impact.

The forged tec irons were really good and I felt like I could game those if I wanted to. My 7 iron distance was going about my usual distance but the really good strikes were a little further. I know they are meant for a little better player then I am, but I liked these ALOT!

Finally had the chance to hit these today, the CB/MB combo was really fun to hit, but I am nowhere near good enough to hit these.They have a great feel through impact.

The forged tec irons were really good and I felt like I could game those if I wanted to. My 7 iron distance was going about my usual distance but the really good strikes were a little further. I know they are meant for a little better player then I am, but I liked these ALOT!

My sentiments exactly. Ive these twice now in the store about 50 balls and these are just solid. I'm having way too much fun hitting these.

Is THP getting these in hand for testing?

Last edited:

OK so I pulled the trigger on the King Forged Tec and they came in on Saturday. Took them yesterday for the first outing at the range. Left the woods in my truck so I could soley focus on the irons. I'll be pairing them against XR pros with matrix program F15 95S. I Was recently fitted into this combo so it's going to make for a fun comparison against the Cobra with CTL.

Warmed up with the XRP and hit about 10 balls just to get the swing dialed in. Then grabbed the Kings and took 10 more swings with them to get warmed up and adjusted to the feel on those. So about 20 balls later I started to get serious with the comparison.

Distance wise extremely comparable to the XR Pro's. Maybe a 1/2 club longer to a full club longer based on visual alone. Will be taking them later on in the week to the monitor at GolfSmith to get some data on this

My miss with the XR pros is a pul draw. With the KFT I was having a tough time doing that, which is a good thing and was hitting everything dead straight maybe with a slight fade if anything. I'm sure once I get a little more dialed in I'll be able to turn the ball over a little bit better. One thing that I noticed over the XRP and this could be a combination of shaft and lower loft in the KFT irons but the ball launched noticeably lower and with the more penetrating flight. Although still produced a nice high flight that took the ball down range with ease. With range balls these irons feels solid, had a nice click to them even for being forged. Not that muted forged sound you get with some forged offerings. Definitely a forged feel but it does have a click to it. After I was done with range balls I took 2 duo spin balls out of my bag and launched them down range with a 6i. This is where that "this is why I bought them" feeling kicked in. The feelng was night and day compared to the rocks I was hitting. So excited to take these out on the course. That feeling was addicting. Had to refrain from using all the balls in my bag at the range. FWIW, Being forged these may compare better in the feel department to more of the like ofCF16's

In the looks department I've never been more paranoid about chrome clubs before and was wiping them down after every swing (new iron syndrome?). Compared to XR Pro's they are similar in length heel to toe. The XR Pro's have a much more rounded top line and rounded toe compared to the KFT. Didn't mind either club, but will be personal preference thing for most. Both looked good.

I took the 4,6,8,GW with me. And while I hit all of them I spent quite a bit of time with the set GW. It's been well documented recently that many manufacturers are putting out awesome set GW's. And this is no exception! This GW is by far one of the easiest and consistent gap wedges I've ever had in a set. This beats the set GW in my XR pros hands-down. Was hitting 1/2 shots, 3/4 shots and full shots all with ease. It was way too fun. Super excited to have this club in the set.

Initial thoughts:

- Lamkin UTx stock grip
- Pentreating flight
- Apex comparable to my gamers (visual)
- Forged Distance
- Awesome set GW
- I think this fits into that crossover iron segment.

I'll keep updating this as I spend more time at the range, on course and on the monitor.

ec9dcf4c513a1a93eae19bd4b3a642e8.jpg
fd2a40e666af424b776cd517373e2d14.jpg
4730d65833f7b537e73c28fd9260cbd1.jpg
5ac72405a49e1453628e170340dc4b16.jpg
8f09bfd0e87844320f2d6f4ac431b3f9.jpg
25ca39daf38b78a166bcbb2939757beb.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely in that crossover segment. Great thoughts Xavier.

Back