Which of these three is the better achievement?

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
Which of these in your opinion is the best round? Should it be based on lowest score, lowest differential to par or lowest differential to course rating?

1 - Shooting a 70 on a Par 72 course rated 74.8/139 or
2 - Shooting a 68 on a Par 70 course rated 69.2/118 or
3 - Shooting a 67 on a Par 72 course rated 69.3/124

For general purposes and talking to co-workers, family, and other average weekend golfer I think they would be most impressed by option 3, shooting 67 on a par 72. That's all most people are going to hear and most will probably not even understand the rating or the slope that you've factored in.

There are arguments for each of those, but for me, I would still say number 3 as well looking at the course rating and slope. So my opinion is that is going to be impressive to the knowledgeable golfer and the weekend hacker.

To me, 5 under is 5 under. Even on an "easy" course you still had to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen. At any point, on any course you can blow up and double or triple a hole.

However, all three have their pros of why you could argue they're the "best" achievement.

67 for me, Id say 99% of golfers wouldnt remember the slope ratings years down the road when telling the story, but the score they will

#1 makes you the most better than a scratch player (furthest under the rating).

67 for me, Id say 99% of golfers wouldnt remember the slope ratings years down the road when telling the story, but the score they will

That's silly. You can easily shoot a 67 on an executive course. The number is irrelevant without knowing what you shot that number on.

All 3 of them! If I ever match any one of them I will be happier than a pig in ****! Lol

Quick reaction, #3 as 5 under is better than 2 under.

Looking at the ratings, #1 might have required the best golf to get 4.8 under the rating.

#3 5 under par.

#1 is the best achievement.

#3 is the one I'd want most - nobody remembers, cares about or understands course rating and slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick answer is #3. According to rating #1. Lots of other factors involved such as course knowledge. For example my course has very tough rating bit I play it most every day so I'd shoot better there. Any under par score is impressive though

#1 makes you the most better than a scratch player (furthest under the rating).

That's silly. You can easily shoot a 67 on an executive course. The number is irrelevant without knowing what you shot that number on.

I have had LOTS of people ask me what my lowest round was, and I think maybe 1% ask it to be validated by which course I played. You may think it's "silly" but the majority don't seem to care where the score was achieved.

I have had LOTS of people ask me what my lowest round was, and I think maybe 1% ask it to be validated by which course I played. You may think it's "silly" but the majority don't seem to care where the score was achieved.

Same, no one has ever asked me the slope/rating. Average golfers/people only care/notice the score.

#3 for me. Easy.

#3 for me. Not that anything that insane will ever happen.

Shooting under PAR on any course is great I would take any of them, but shooting two under on a course with a 139 slope is the best of the group.

Which of these three is the better achievement?

A course I play a good amount has a score/slope rating around #3, and to shoot 5 under on that I would feel pretty dang good. Personally I might feel better about #1, especially if that's a well known and difficult course. But I'd take #3 and having a PB of -5 over #1 if I had the choice.

First option for me personally. Hard slop and under par? Yes please

#3. I rarely look at course rating/slope when I play unless I need to determine course hdcp for any match play or other competition involving hdcps

67 it is. I once had a guy tell me it doesn't matter what tee you play from or how hard the course is, all that matters is you made the swing that produced the shot you intended to make.

#3 low round wins on what I classify as a moderately difficult / slope rated course.

I'll take a 67 any day so #3. Even on an easier course, you still have to execute well throughout the round to go that low.

At face value I would go with the 67. However lowest score doesn't always equate to best round. Course conditions, pin placements, tournament v non tournament all factor in. The round I consider to be me best round is 4 strokes higher than my all time low round. It was played under tougher conditions and had more pressure which is why I consider it my best round.

67 it is. I once had a guy tell me it doesn't matter what tee you play from or how hard the course is, all that matters is you made the swing that produced the shot you intended to make.

I once got a hole in one on an 80 yard par 3, still counts and I agree with what that guy told you!

I'll take a 67 any day so #3. Even on an easier course, you still have to execute well throughout the round to go that low.

Having shot plenty of -2 rounds even this year, I don't think I can claim any of them as being 'special' despite playing very well.

To shoot 67 on ANY course is special. And it takes the right day, with the right breaks to get it done. That's how I shot my first 67.. Five birdies, 13 pars, and some absolutely RIDICULOUS shots (punches from 120 to 10 feet, 30 foot putts for par, perfect pitch shots)... Something about the day has to be special to shoot that number.

Back