What would YOU do?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
I think most of us know this scenario from the Waste Management Phoenix Open.

You're leading by two on the final round as you walk to the tee box of the 17th hole. It's a drivable par 4 with water behind and left of the green. Let's assume you can reach the green with your drive.

Do you reach for the big dog and drive it on the green, with danger nearby, or do you lay up and make pars on the last two holes?

I think there's no correct answer, it's just interesting how all of us will face the situation.

As for me, no question about it. Go for it, or crash and burn. Life's too short.

Last edited:
I go for it. But that's just me. Like Kenny Loggins, I don't fear the highway to the danger zone.

He got a terribly unlucky bounce off a downhill spot short of the green. That ball lands 2 feet shorter and it's middle of the green and ball game for him. I still say go for it

Let's say I had Fowler-like distance and wedge skills. I'd take a 4i or 5-wood, and lay it up.

Well, it's obvious that hole is in Rickie's head and he can't figure out just how to play it. He doubled it yesterday twice--once with the driver, and once with a FW metal. It's easy to Monday morning this, having watched that hole being played all weekend. But, for me, too many easy birdies were had just by hitting a 3 or 5 metal down in front and chipping it up to the hole. That's what I would do, and, I truly believe that had Rickie done that the first time through, instead of slamming the big dog, there would have been no playoff.

Well, it's obvious that hole is in Rickie's head and he can't figure out just how to play it. He doubled it yesterday twice--once with the driver, and once with a FW metal. It's easy to Monday morning this, having watched that hole being played all weekend. But, for me, too many easy birdies were had just by hitting a 3 or 5 metal down in front and chipping it up to the hole. That's what I would do, and, I truly believe that had Rickie done that the first time through, instead of slamming the big dog, there would have been no playoff.

Pretty much nailed it for me too.

JM

Play conservative for the win, didn't need the "home run" shot to win the tourney.

Having played the hole, I would have laid up below the bunker and pitched up and go for par and protect the lead, especially considering his ability to put it in the water as frequently as he does.

Not sure if he had the F6 Baffler 5W in the bag, or the King Utility 3i. I think either of those would have been a good option and would have given him a par (at worst) on 17. But he's the one out there swinging his swing, and I'm a hacker ...

I'm laying up short of the green and relying on my short game to put me in a position with a make-able birdie putt. Lower the chances of getting in trouble off the tee while still giving yourself a shot to increase the lead.

I play 3w to the front of the green, hope to have it roll up and either pitch/putt my second attempt to get it closest to the hole.

Protect the lead and head to 18 as the leader.

His history on that hole is a true train wreck. Why the hell would he challenge it with the entire tournament on the line. Punt one down the fairway and walk away with par at worse. Apparently his caddy has more money than he knows what to do with because he handed him the wrong club twice on Sunday.

For me, if I could reach with water guarding 40% of that green I'm laying up unless it's a meaningless round. Every time.

If the hole was eating me alive the last couple years, I'd lay up away from the water.

Play conservative for the win, didn't need the "home run" shot to win the tourney.

This is the answer for me; if I had to have the birdie to win, or tie, only then do I go for it.

Ironically, there were two drivable holes on the course I played this past Saturday. I played a 19* hybrid/wedge on the first one and a 7i/wedge on the second. Pared them both. All of my playing partners went for the green on both, none did better than bogie on either.

Of course I lay up, take trouble out of play and preserve the victory. The stupidest thing ever is working your ass off to have a lead then give something away by being reckless.

I would play the 3w off the tee and go with the results of the shot. I don't fault the choice Rickie made because he ended up getting a and bounce and a lot of roll out on a fast and hard green.

I think he hit driver because the 3 wood hadn't gone well all day, just like in the play off. I would would have laid up under the circumstances. Isn't hindsight wonderful????

I agree that on his second trip to the 17th for the playoff that hole was in his head the wrong way.

Well, Rickie found water with his 3W later on yesterday. Using my 20-20 hindsight he got beat by a guy who failed to drive the green both times yesterday, so he should have pulled iron and relied on his short game and putting to win.

For me I would find it hard not to take out the big dog to reach the green but I doubt I will ever find myself in that position, unless I move up to the senior tees.

I'm hitting driver. I think he could hit that drive ten times and get that result once out of ten tries.

I just missed a makeable putt on 16 that would have iced it. I've got a two shot lead and I DON'T need anything but MAYBE one more birdie. I'm playing it back off the tee and using a wedge. Knowing my playing partners HAVE to make two birdies to tie me, the pressure on me is NOT to make a bogey or worse. So, don't give myself a chance for that off the tee in any fashion.

I take out 3 wood and lay it up. A short chip/pitch for a possible birdie or at most par seems like a good bet at that point.

Lol at conserving the lead. Mats finished birdie birdie and still would have tied it up forcing Rickie to birdie 18 to win.

So what happens if he lays up, pars it, and then pars 18 as well and goes into the same playoff? We'd be talking about why he was so conservative off 17 when he could have gone for it and got an easy birdie.

Funny how easy it is to look back and make a different choice.

Having played the hole, I would have laid up below the bunker and pitched up and go for par and protect the lead, especially considering his ability to put it in the water as frequently as he does.

I agree with this completely. If he's worried about the bunker, stay short of it. I imagine that it would only leave 100-125 in, with his wedge skills you are still looking at a very good birdie chance. Terrible play on he and his caddies part!

It's my philosophy that I don't take risks when it comes to the paycheck, but will for bragging rights. If you're a pro, there is a significant different in money you take home if you win/lose. Now if you're at your home course, going for a club record, or to win a tournament, then let 'er rip,

Back