Question for THP editors reviewing products

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We are nearing the end of calendar year 2015, and the THP editors have given us some amazingly in-depth, comprehensive and informative reviews of products covering the gambit of the golf equipment world. So my question to the editors who have reviewed equipment is this: If you stepped down from your role of reviewer and no longer had a conveyor belt equipment going in and out of your bag, of everything you reviewed in 2015, what would be in your bag? Clubs, shafts, grips, balls, gadgets, whatever!

We are nearing the end of calendar year 2015, and the THP editors have given us some amazingly in-depth, comprehensive and informative reviews of products covering the gambit of the golf equipment world. So my question to the editors who have reviewed equipment is this: If you stepped down from your role of reviewer and no longer had a conveyor belt equipment going in and out of your bag, of everything you reviewed in 2015, what would be in your bag? Clubs, shafts, grips, balls, gadgets, whatever!

DSC_0646-L.jpg

lol I thought about exempting you from the question!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd venture Ddec and JB will post similar.

the set I got at #TheGrandaddy

I haven't reviewed a too equipment yet(only been writing for about 4 months) so my selections from what I've tested is more limited than my other cohorts. But it would be something like this. Mizuno JPX driver, 816 3 wood, Divine 9, 355 irons, Cleveland 2135 putter. I'd use the Precision Pro rangefinder with no hesitation and listen to tunes on the Spy Beacon.

There is only 1 product that I've reviewed that I really had issues with, and I think that will get posted up here soon. From what I have gotten, and throw in my Grandaddy bag, is that there is a lot of really good equipment out there.

fair point. then maybe the grandaddy bag is not in play. you all review so much great gear, I'm just curious what really stood out to you this year.

I would say I am pretty close.
I like a lot of clubs, but I also am one of the people that feels choosing golf clubs is quite a bit subjective and emotional as it is performance related. I am partial to certain wedges and have played Cleveland wedges since high school, so that might be a change. Would probably still have the Cure RX2 in my bag, because it fixed my putting. Outside of that though, there are very few changes happening when asked today.

I have a hard time believing Callaway makes the best of everything.

fair point. then maybe the grandaddy bag is not in play. you all review so much great gear, I'm just curious what really stood out to you this year.

assuming this case, here it goes.

GBB w/ Grandura
GBB Heavenwood w/ PX HandCrafted
XR 3 hybrid
Apex 5 hybrid
Cleveland Altitude 6 iron
Apex CF16 7-AW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 54 & 58
PM Grind 60*
Cure RX2 Putter
Bridgestone RX ball

Did he say they did? The question was not what was the best product reviewed. You know as well as I do that not everyone plays the best club or clubs for their game.

Did he say they did? The question was not what was the best product reviewed. You know as well as I do that not everyone plays the best club or clubs for their game.
Fair enough. I'd buy that Jman would game those out of everything even if they weren't the best for his game.

Fair enough. I'd buy that Jman would game those out of everything even if they weren't the best for his game.

I'm sure he would. They have a special meaning, and frankly they should.

Did I say that? Were those words ever typed? Was that even the OP's question?

Nope.

I was fit for 14 clubs, by one of the best in the business, not playing them would be insanity REGARDLESS OF THE MANUFACTURER. Why is it so hard to grasp that this setup could be the best for me? Why are you SO intent on stirring up crap all the time?

I've said it 1,000,000 times over the years and will again, no one makes bad gear, no one, and everything will fit someone. These fit me the best.

one bad apple...

I guess shut this down. it didn't go as planned!

Its funny how so often we hear things like "I need to look down and have confidence" when discussing clubs. Or, "I go by feel and these give that to me". But then in the next thread it comes, "well no way thats the best".

Maybe it is the best. Maybe a person tests everything and these give them the warm and fuzzy and they play the best golf? I just always get a chuckle when someone uses "feel" or "eyeball" and then dismisses something completely related.

At the end of the day, I say the same thing every time. Play what you want.
If you get a bag full of clubs from THP and there is no criteria stating otherwise and you want to off them quickly to play something else, do it. If you think its a bit wrong to do so and want to play that set, do that.

There is a reason that most that go to the Grandaddy, end up sticking with their bag for a full release schedule. The event can be life changing for golfers.

There's not bad gear out there, there are bad fits (and I have reviewed several this year which were personally bad fits for me, but good at doing what they were designed for), but not bad gear.

This year was AMAZING for golf releases, the best yet since I have been reviewing, and frankly 2016 looks better which is mind blowing.

For me, I'd end up with the same bag, they just work for me and mentally I'm insanely confident with them, ya know?

I love the convo by the way, its a fun topic!

That's a great question caeleric.

I've been very partial to Bridgestone after the royal treatment they gave me during the final Morgan Cup, and have managed to play their J15 wedges and J15 CB irons for a majority of this year (outside testing). I would not hesitate to continue that trend into 2016, although I will undoubtedly lean towards increasing the number of Callaway clubs in my bag as we move towards the 2016 Grandaddy.

The driver has been a mix of the Cobra King LTD and Callaway 816 DBD, with the DBD currently in the bag because I have Callaway tips on almost every shaft I own. I think performance wise, the Cobra offers a shade more forgiveness at the cost of a bit of ball speed, and with that I am not sure either one is a bad choice -- That said, with my current shaft stock, it'll be the Callaway moving forward.

In the 3 wood slot, my friend Kang gave me an X2Hot last year and it's been in the bag ever since, with the exception of review clubs. I have it paired with an Oban devotion 8x (which is essentially rebranded rebar) and it hits mid launching lasers at my demand. I'll be looking to upgrade for next season, and will probably stick with the Callaway family of clubs while doing so. I spent a bit of time with the 815 out of JBs bag and loved it. Makes me think the 816 will be a beast as well.

Hybrid wise, I think it was a toss up this year between Titleist and Callaway, with the 815 and 915 options being pretty impressive overall. The biggest reason why the Callaway is in the bag right now (and this will probably sound stupid to some) is that I cannot stand having to fish turf out of my clubs after hitting them. The 915 cavity always pulls from the turf, and only my divot tool is thin enough to get in there and clean it out. Outside of that, the performance was awesome.

Finally, the putter. I've got about 13 or 14 of them sitting at the house right now, between Scotty Cameron, SeeMore, and Odyssey. As it stands, the front runners are the Newport Button Back, the milled collection #2, and the M7 private reserve. It'll be interesting to see which one makes the bag for the 2016 season, but aside from testing I really doubt I'll make a change in that spot. It's all about consistency for me.

Gloves: I do not think there is a better performing glove out there than the Bridgestone tour premium. I wish I had 100 of them.

Balls: You will have a hard time convincing me there's a better ball available to me than the Bridgestone B330. I just bought about seven dozen.

Oh, and bag. #Cookie made sure I wasn't changing any time soon. The "THP STAFF" Callaway bag from a couple years ago.

one bad apple...

I guess shut this down. it didn't go as planned!

Hell no dude. Its a fun topic.

I'm honestly eager to hear Canadan's thoughts since he gravitates to a different type (spin/launch) of gear than the rest of us.

And boom. There he is. Hahaha

great post Dan!

Dan is clearly DQ'd for his fairway wood answer:alien: But gosh darn it I love the detailed response

I'm ashamed to admit it but outside of an Odyssey putter, I've never bagged a Callaway club in my time playing. Maybe I need to make an effort to get something Callaway in my bag at some point in early 2016. Maybe in the hybrid or fairway slot (seriously pondering the Divine Nine) ...

I'm ashamed to admit it but outside of an Odyssey putter, I've never bagged a Callaway club in my time playing. Maybe I need to make an effort to get something Callaway in my bag at some point in early 2016. Maybe in the hybrid slot ...

Play what you enjoy dude, in the end, thats all that matters.

I'm ashamed to admit it but outside of an Odyssey putter, I've never bagged a Callaway club in my time playing. Maybe I need to make an effort to get something Callaway in my bag at some point in early 2016. Maybe in the hybrid slot ...

prior to thp, I gamed one driver from the ft series and hated it. after thp I gave cally another chance, and I'm thoroughly impressed. then again, because of thp I also checked out cobra and Bridgestone and have been super impressed too! just goes to show how much great gear is out there.

Back