Tape Under Grips?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Is less taper in your golf grips better for you? Can more tape under the grip help your game?

We went right to the experts at Golf Pride and asked them your questions about grip taper and building up grips in this interesting episode of Tech Talk.

Pretty interesting stuff especially the analogy with the rubber band. I have never tried the +4 grips, I have always just added tape but now I want to give them a try.

Great information in the video. I still prefer the taper in standard grips as I find myself doing the opposite of what was described in the video and my right hand tends to grip tighter when the bottom hand is built up. I do use extra wraps but extend them along the full length of the grip to maintain the taper.

I moved to a less tapered grip and my hands feel so much better after a round.

Switched to the MCC Plus4's this season and love the no taper feel. Never quite understood what the point of a taper was in the first place. The one thing I will say is the Standards did feel a little bigger than I was used to (No issues and I liked it but it got me curious) so I threw and Undersized on my driver and I really like it. I'm going to keep experimenting but I could see re-gripping my entire set with MCC Plus4 Undersized next year.

I'm on my 2nd set of new grips this season and the 1st set of "reduced taper" seemed a lot more so. I went from midsize CP2 Pro and just put on Z5 Tour taper. There seems to be more taper than the CP2 Pro but I prefer these grips. Hopefully they will help me release the club better because I really hit fades with my irons using the midsize.

That was a really good breakdown for the reasoning. I played the MCC Plus4 a couple years ago and really liked the lack of taper plus how well they held up. For me it felt much better and more natural not having that taper.

LOVE these videos that have been shared from Golf Pride. So helpful

• Admin
LOVE these videos that have been shared from Golf Pride. So helpful

Thanks 2BFast. We thought it was a really underserved portion of tech talk, so this year have gone to Lamkin, Golf Pride and Super Stroke to bring an education to THPers if they would like to learn more.

Thanks 2BFast. We thought it was a really underserved portion of tech talk, so this year have gone to Lamkin, Golf Pride and Super Stroke to bring an education to THPers if they would like to learn more.

Well, I can tell you that although I know im fully capable of regripping and such I never really thought of doing it myself. But after watching these videos and reading some posts in the Shaft Up threads its inspired me to look into doing it myself from now on.

He is very good at explaining the process and the possible issues one might run into. Its great.

It is amazing some of the knowledge being dropped in these short videos!!!!! Never even considered that is could effect the grip in the way is does, stretching it, and that it could effect the life of the grip.

I need a grip that is reverse taper lol.

Interesting stuff. After gaming standard grips my whole life, I decided to try midsize when I regripped 2 summers ago. Don't see myself ever going back to standard grips again, but what was really interesting was that I double wrapped, and put 2 half wraps on the bottom for a total of 4 on the bottom hand and a little extra beef overall. Gave me so much more control over my ball flight and more than anything I really liked the way the tape counterbalanced my clubs' swing weights from d1 to about c7. helps me feel the tempo of the swing much better as I don't recall ever having thoughts about tempo before that, and now I rely on it as my single swing thought under pressure.

Always nice finding something that works isn’t it?

Love the video. Loved the +4 from the first swing and now fully understand why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got +4 wraps on my Morgan Cup set and I love them. I always felt like I was choking the club and these helps me loosen my grip. Next time I will try a Tour taper also/

Never thought about how tape build up stretches grip materials... rubber band analogy was good...

I do love the +4 grips, especially on driver. I put a handful of extra wraps on the bottom of my wedges, helps to keep me from snapping the face closed on pitch shots.

Very interesting to hear. Explains some of why I like the CP2 grips so much. I've always built up with tape, I am going to have to try the +4's one of these days.

Love the concept of the +4's and am so very glad that they're available for those who could benefit.

For me, they're just a bit too much. I do add an extra wrap just under my lower hand and it's always amazing to me how completely obvious just that one extra wrap is to me. I can do +2, depending upon the grip, but any more starts to feel odd.

Tape Under Grips?

Great video. I was on the +4 wagon for a bit and loved the size of the grip, but wish they had an option with a firmer feel....like the Zcord. I found the right hand portion of the +4s to be a bit too mushy for my taste.

Last edited:
I think I need to go to the +4’s, my lower hand for quite some time has been an issue. A lot of times it comes off the grip somewhat on the takeaway and the I strangle the grip with it on the downswing. I think less taper could definitely help even my grip pressure and relieve some of the tension.

Thanks for the video!

I've always have built up my grips and didn't do it with idea to reduce tension. I did it cause I choke down slot and hated how small the grip felt when I would have down that . Interesting though. I also prefer a firmer feel . To me the plus 4 feels too soft

Interesting to hear why the pro's build up the bottom, I've always been curious as to why. For the same reason, I'm a fan of the +4 but I'm also curious what it has done to my swing weights.

New grips are +4 Aligns! Really hoping they do help, I’m optimistic about it.

fbb72380d22271876066cb818f8676f7.jpg

Last edited:
Back