Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser Putters - THP Review Thread

Solid write up James. AS a previous owner of the 330M TC, the counter balance method changed my putting for the better. It was the first time I truly paid attention to head weight in relation to the putting stroke & it made a world of difference for me.

The counter balancing method Odyssey has incorporated truly works and can really help amateurs who struggle with their putting stroke. Of course aesthetically Odyssey killed it on this one. My only complaint is i wish that a mid mallet was available.

James could you tell me if this is a face balanced putter?

Great job here James....you now have me itching to try one of these. Like you, I think the Tank logo incorporated looks fantastic. I've had success with counterbalanced putters in the past and really like how you can adjust the weight in the grip of this one. Pairing with SS to incorporate the 2.0 is a great move as well as it's a proven successful grip. Odyssey really put a lot of thought/effort into this line and it definitely shows.

May have to find one of these. I like a counterbalanced feel.

Thanks for taking the time to read everyone, as always we appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read everyone, as always we appreciate it.
Thanks for taking the time to write it. A lot of great insights in there and I can't wait to see for myself how the marriage between adjustable counterbalancing and a phenomenal insert helps my game.

Well I couldn't find one yet and i know assume it hasn't been released yet? I putted with the old Tank Cruiser v line and now I'm itching to putt and throw some money down for this putter.

Well I couldn't find one yet and i know assume it hasn't been released yet? I putted with the old Tank Cruiser v line and now I'm itching to putt and throw some money down for this putter.

I believe 10/30 is the street date

Great write up James! I dont know if I had missed it before, but the explanation of the fusion insert fusing the white hot feel with the forward role of MetalX really stuck with me.

I won't lie, I slept on these putters with my dislike of the white hot insert, but the works is a different animal all together. The CS v-linr rolled like a dream, but didn't fit my eye... I'll bet a cs #5, #7, or big T blade could be a real weapon for #TheGrandaddy though!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I won't lie, I slept on these putters with my dislike of the white hot insert, but the works is a different animal all together. The CS v-linr rolled like a dream, but didn't fit my eye... I'll bet a cs #5, #7, or big T blade could be a real weapon for #TheGrandaddy though!

I wish there was a CS 5 in these. I'd be all in.

Definitely... something a little bigger than the #5, but not as deep as the vline

The CS VLine will get a hard look from me. I adored my 330M tank cruiser and this line intrigues me.

Got 7 rounds in on this one the last 5 days and a ton more work on the Tour Links with it as well.

Thoughts:
  • It should surprise no-one that the V-Line shape is as popular as it is, its full mallet benefits wrapped into a very traditionally styled overall shape.
  • The Big-T alignment was MEANT for this head IMO. The way it contrasts out the flange for target and face angle alignment works, and works well.
  • The finish is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved from the original Versa lines. I prefer the Big-T black/while personally, but the silver/black on course and in the sun is a quality look. No cheap-ish kind of feeling to it anymore, VERY nice to see.
  • The Fusion RX insert works. WHP distance and direction benefits all across the face but with an improved sound and more importantly roll thanks to the mesh face. The fact that the mesh is pliable and not rigid is IMO what makes all the difference here.
  • From 12 feet and in the accuracy/proximity to the cup with the alignment scheme is quite lethal.
  • The tank graphics are insanely well played. Too fun.
  • Just as with the original Tank Cruiser line I reviewed last year, the weights offer full adjustability, I prefer 30g in the grip and 2x20g in the head all day for max weight, my buddy yesterday vastly preferred 15g in the grip and 2x10g in the head. TRUE adjustability, that IMO will be used a TON more than weights in drivers because you don't need to be hitting full shots on a course/range to dial it in.
  • Personally prefer the 38" model to the 35" here for review, but thats because I'm a 36" putter guy.
  • SS 2.0 shape is a good middle ground for people, won't be for everyone, but a majority shouldn't have issues getting used to or just using it.
  • Counter-balance isn't going anywhere, its not for everyone, but with the anchor ban looming we will undoubtedly see many go to the extended CB setup because ti really can emulate that anchor point.
  • Just a very well rounded putter, for mallet users it really does merit a few trial putts.

Been toying around with if I wanted the Works Tank Cruiser or the Tank Cruiser, and after reading through this thread, this post by James pushes me in the Works Tank Cruiser direction.

Good stuff, James. Thank you, this post was exactly the information that I was looking for.

I wish there was a CS 5 in these. I'd be all in.
Yes please, maybe I should add that to my question list for you guys and #TheGrandaddy

I went into the fitting looking for a mid mallet. When the 6M was out of the window, the Works TC was next up because I loved the OG TC.

I rolled the #1 (which looks like a wide to me) and was ready to go. Steve stopped me and put the VLine in my hands. He noticed the #1 had too much toe hang the way I was addressing the ball and the VLine allowed for a more stable address with the putter fully soled.

15 minutes later my putter was decided on. 35" VLine Works TC with 15g weights in the sole and 35 gm weight in the grip. Considering I didn't miss a putt inside of 8' during competition, this one is not going anywhere. I'm looking forward to throwing up more updates when I get more rounds/practice sessions under my belt.

Several of us were fit into this line and should keep this thread going for a while.

Many of us who participated in #TheGrandaddy ended up with the counter balance offering, Works Tank Cruiser. Callaway's podcast called "The Fitting Room" put out this one explaining the putter and how to dial it in.

http://www.odysseygolf.com/blog/201...omotional&utm_campaign=2015-12-23-ODY-Podcast

Heard this podcast and thought it was very informative. Well done by the guys over at Callaway. Made me drop from 20gr weights to try the 15 g weight since in the podcast they said that 80% of the people that they fit it into the counterbalanced putters were fit into 15gr weights at the bottom. Not sure yet if I want to keep the 15 g there or the 20 g there on the #7 but it's very nice to be able to play with the putter and the different weights to really dial in the feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing around with weights today. Noticed my WTC #7 had more toe hang than I wanted, so put a 20g in the heel and 10 in the toe, and it got it closer to face balanced. No idea if that will work long term or if it's even smart to try, but the first few putts felt better before I got interrupted.

I was able to get out and play 18 after work today. A few thoughts from my round:

- I have it set up right now with the 15gm weights in the head and the 30gm weight in the grip. Anytime the 30gm weights are in the grip this provides the highest balance point & something I like because it helps stabilize my putting stroke. With the 15gm weights in the head it's supposed to be mid weight in feel, but this is still too light for me. I went back and looked at my other setups that had interchangeable weights and I had the 20gm weights in. I'm going to put those in and see I that gives me the head weight feel i'm used to.

- Setting up the VLine is pretty straight forward. I find myself utilizing alignment aide similar to the way I used the Big T alignment on my #5. It's making my putts inside of 6-7 feet automatic and the more I putt with it, i'm nailing down my lag putting on longer putts

- Although i'm a SuperStoke guy, this grip is in my head. I'm not sure why, but at 35" I feel like the grip is too long. Something that I quickly get over, but worth mentioning. All in all I adore the set up with the grip and it's a 2.0 SS so i'm used to it.

- I had 32 putts today and a few that burned the edge or stopped short of the hole. 32 putts is about what I have been averaging per round so it's good to see that continue even though I switched head shapes

- The RX Fusion insert is hands down my favorite that Odyssey has put out. It just gets the ball rolling forward instantly and the ball holds its intended line with a good stroke.

All in all I think I will need a few more rounds to get this one dialed in, but early returns are positive and i'm looking forward to rolling this one long term.

Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser Putters - THP Review Thread

Rolled the 7 putter today and it if I would have had money on me I would have bought it on the spot. This thing rolled so true and the insert felt great. Not sure how I feel about the grip but I got used to it pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back