Bryson Putting With Flag In

Well if there is an advantage, I think more will start to follow suit.

What do I make of it? Erm, I don’t think I really care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistically, it's supposed to be better to leave the flag in. I prefer to leave it in anyway. My playing partner likes having it out.

I think Pelz has done some studies to show that the benefits outweigh the downsides of keeping the flag in, so that seems right up Bryson's alley.

Didn’t know this ^^^^

With how his putting is I can see him trying to gain any advantage

If no one is holding the flag it should have some give to it and dampen the speed of the ball a bit. I think the net result would over 1000 putts would be more in the hole. If your being aggressive it should be even better. The only time you wouldn't want too is when the wind is blowing the flag toward the side of the hole you're on. The only time when the flag is your enemy is when the ball hits it instead of the ground in the air. It is obviously much harder than turf and much less receptive to backspin so you can get some really bad breaks when that happens.

Once the ball is rolling, how is a chip different from a putt?

None, other than a ball out of the rough is tougher to get the correct pace on and not blow it by.

My initial thought was that he's thinking too much but the more I think about it good for him. He has his own thing going on, it's cool that he keeps doing it.

I dig it. I’ll leave it in most of the time too, already do on solo rounds.

Don't really care...I assumed some guys would leave it in for really long putts or downhill putts or something.

Bryson Putting With Flag In

Here is a very nice article explaining how putting with the flag in can scientifically be shown to help golfers at a certain distance.

Good read:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93352-putting-with-the-flagstick-in/

However, I thought the rule stated that flag in was not going to be an option for PGA tournaments. So, how could Bryson use the advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it aids in depth perception/aiming. Especially on longer putts. But that's just me.

Playing with the flag in is the way to go for me.

Easier to see the hole. And in my experience the more the chances are of the ball staying in the hole. If the ball is hit with some pace then to me it's even more advantageous to leave the flag in. The flag is more likely to damp the putt and cause it to fall in. Without the flag the ball will still blow by the hole anyway. For normal putts the flag definitely helps keep the ball in the hole.

I'm going to leave the flag in on all rounds just to drive the curmudgeons insane.

Back