2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see Brodie?
I did sir. It went really well. He said I am in a very good place. Had a couple tweaks on the squat. Remembering to point my nipples to the floor on the way down and "proud chest" before i start down. Depth was good. he was surprised at my progress so far having no barbell experience before. Given my progress in weight, he was expecting to see bad depth, which I totally understand.

Did a little bit of form work on dl to get ready to work on power cleans. Power clean is much better after working with him.

Missed bench press due to lack of time, but my painting all weekend thanks me for a little extra rest there.

I'll be sticking to 5 lb increments on squats from here on up.

So far so good.

I did sir. It went really well. He said I am in a very good place. Had a couple tweaks on the squat. Remembering to point my nipples to the floor on the way down and "proud chest" before i start down. Depth was good. he was surprised at my progress so far having no barbell experience before. Given my progress in weight, he was expecting to see bad depth, which I totally understand.

Did a little bit of form work on dl to get ready to work on power cleans. Power clean is much better after working with him.

Missed bench press due to lack of time, but my painting all weekend thanks me for a little extra rest there.

I'll be sticking to 5 lb increments on squats from here on up.

So far so good.
I like it.

Experience is common with depth. A lot if new lifters miss depth because it's harder than most expect. Brodie is one of the best SSCs out there, but the credentially system for SSCs make them all pretty good.

Squats, bench, and deads today. Spent the weekend watching a ton of videos on form for squats and deads, and even the valsalva maneuver, and felt like my squats today were as good as I've ever done and the focus on proper breathing really helped. Bench was uneventful and progressed, then I hit deads. After failing after 2 reps last time I wanted some redemption but unfortunately wouldn't happen today. Failed after 4 very tough reps and just couldn't get the fifth up. It felt like I couldn't get a big enough breath with my gut in the way, so not sure how to counter that. Should I drop the weight or try back at 375 until I get 5 reps?

Squats, bench, and deads today. Spent the weekend watching a ton of videos on form for squats and deads, and even the valsalva maneuver, and felt like my squats today were as good as I've ever done and the focus on proper breathing really helped. Bench was uneventful and progressed, then I hit deads. After failing after 2 reps last time I wanted some redemption but unfortunately wouldn't happen today. Failed after 4 very tough reps and just couldn't get the fifth up. It felt like I couldn't get a big enough breath with my gut in the way, so not sure how to counter that. Should I drop the weight or try back at 375 until I get 5 reps?
Two sets of 3 reps my friend. You're nearing the end of your novice stage. To make space for yourself, Widen your stance a few inches.

Two sets of 3 reps my friend. You're nearing the end of your novice stage. To make space for yourself, Widen your stance a few inches.
I'll give it a try on Friday. Hoping to get to 405 before I start getting stuck.

Still a little sore from last nights work out, so I know I did a good one I guess! Wasn't feeling really motivated as I sit here at my desk and work, so I popped in here. It's good motivation to see all you posts! I'll go home, fuel up with a good supper and hit the weights around 8.

2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Well today was not a good day. After getting up a 2:30am this morning to drive to IL, I worked 10 hours then forced myself to the gym. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to just take a day off.

Rowed 1000m

I did squats 5x5
Front squats 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Rows 5x5

I honestly didn't have any motivation to do anything else. I did get through all my reps at the 75% of max that I wanted so that's a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well today was not a good day. After getting up a 2:30am this morning to drive to IL, I worked 10 hours then forced myself to the gym. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to just take a day off.

Rowed 1000m

I did squats 5x5
Front squats 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Rows 5x5

I honestly didn't have any motivation to do anything else. I did get through all my reps at the 75% of max that I wanted so that's a plus.

Do you have a rowing machine at home?

Do any of you have one at home and if so, do you use it? I'm thinking about getting one, so I can have something to do instead of sitting on my arse and watching tv, I can sit and row. Don't know if I'll HONESTLY be able to do both at the same time, but I thought I might try.

Do you have a rowing machine at home?

Do any of you have one at home and if so, do you use it? I'm thinking about getting one, so I can have something to do instead of sitting on my arse and watching tv, I can sit and row. Don't know if I'll HONESTLY be able to do both at the same time, but I thought I might try.

I do not. I travel so much for work, so until I'm at home for an extended period of time it would just sit and collect dust.

No, 375 is where I've stalled. Think I've only got 10 more lbs before I'm done with LP on deads?
nah. You have more in you for LP. Remember, novice linear progression is merely the ability to add weight to the bar every session. In order to milk that, at this stage for you, we alter rep/set structures. The deadlift is getting hard to recover from and that's OK. Did you get your shoes yet?

Ab RipperX knocked out. My son was in agony.

nah. You have more in you for LP. Remember, novice linear progression is merely the ability to add weight to the bar every session. In order to milk that, at this stage for you, we alter rep/set structures. The deadlift is getting hard to recover from and that's OK. Did you get your shoes yet?
Shipped today, so I hope to have them by Friday, but I've been doing deads barefoot in the meantime. Sleep has also been somewhat interrupted as I'm sure you can imagine, so maybe that's hurting me too.

Shipped today, so I hope to have them by Friday, but I've been doing deads barefoot in the meantime. Sleep has also been somewhat interrupted as I'm sure you can imagine, so maybe that's hurting me too.
The shoes won't make a huge difference. The sleep may be hurting you. But, unless you can convince your wife that you need more sleep for gainzzzz, or get that new baby to be quiet, we will have to deal with it.

After the weekend off to try and kick this cold, I got in 40 minutes of cardio tonight after work.

Felt good to get back at it after a couple of days off.

Fun fact, my deload week times perfectly with a business trip.

Fun fact, my deload week times perfectly with a business trip.
How often do you do a deload? I've taken a few days here and there but not a week, wondering if it would be good.

How often do you do a deload? I've taken a few days here and there but not a week, wondering if it would be good.
Maybe. It's more of tool for people constantly pushing the limits of their tolerances. Deload usually means 80% or less of whatever you have been training at. The goal is to get into the gym, keep the CNS and movements fresh, not stress your system, make more time to eat and sleep.

Completed day one of p.h.a.t. Will be doing this for 12 weeks.

Gotcha makes sense.

Bench

Bench

Welp, after not feeling so great on bench I had a great night with lots of sets of 5 (225, 235, 245, 250, 235, 225). I shoulder pressed 2 plates x5 which is the biggest set I have ever done. Going to get after those some more now that I have some confidence in them.

225lb Press is big. For 5 is huge.

Dammit, meant 2 total plates, 135 lbs. My bad.
You had me blown away. Hahaha. I was thinking, "dudes pressing a shít ton. He should be able to bench 350".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back