2019 Morgan Cup Travel/Extra Rounds Thread #THPMC2019

I'd be up for any of those, so will let others determine their price preference. I'm a sucker for trying to hit up the best course available while on a trip, but I'll be happy anywhere this early in the golf season! Have heard great things about the rebuild of Atlantic Dunes, but understand if paying $199 for a practice round can sound a little steep.

Without knowing the area, Old South Links looked pretty nice and has some cool looking holes from the satellite as well. It's just across the bridge in Bluffton - only 12 minutes from HHH airport and on the way from SAV. Looks like they may have some promotions if you wait until 30 days out to book (guessing it would range from $75-$95 at that time of year). At the same time, not sure how busy the bridge gets on Friday afternoons, meaning we may be better off playing on the island to get to the ferry.

Old South is fun. Like you said though, You're going to want to be as close to that ferry as possible due to friday afternoon traffic. Although it's usually coming off the island that sucks, there's always something that causes issues on the bridge/toll road.

Can I get a spot in your rental?

I'm getting in Wednesday night, if you want to come early cause of flights or whatever, you're more than welcome to hang out with me. (I don't mind sharing my room too...nothing fancy but has 2 beds lol)

Definitely if we go that route - like I said maybe we uber/lyft instead we’ll dial in logistics closer to the date

Seventeen more days and the final draft is due. I just did another flyover. If we are playing the blacks, fun fun. If we are playing the white, that course is in trouble. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Seventeen more days and the final draft is due. I just did another flyover. If we are playing the blacks, fun fun. If we are playing the white, that course is in trouble. Lol.

My guess is we will be playing somewhere in the ballpark of 6500 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t wait to see your game black tees full MB set, you must be a stick! Will definitely be fun to watch

I'm going with the FTB irons. They are closer to my clubs right now. I like small but those MB are tiny. Lol. I'm just having fun trying to get people pumped up. I have a funny feeling is 2 Massholes will be paired up at sometime. I hope so anyway. You seem to have a strong game and seem like a fun partner to play with. I am a cheerleader for everyone on the course.

Do we have a course picked yet? Maybe everyone pick a course and the 1st course with 5 picks wins? Lol

I can’t wait to see your game black tees full MB set, you must be a stick! Will definitely be fun to watch
Maybe 2 guys from Mass paired up in the Morgan Cup? If not, I'm sure there will be a few in the future.

Now that orders are in, it's time to think about the event! I'm flying in to HHI, but out of SAV on Monday morning. A couple questions for those headed back to Savannah to stay Sunday night...

1) Is there a car headed back to Savannah on Sunday with room in it that I could hitch a ride? If not, happy to split an Uber.
2) Where are people staying in Savannah? I would LOVE to spend the evening in downtown Savannah grabbing food, drinking beer, telling stories from the event and watching March Madness - there are so many great places downtown too (not a huge fan of airport hotel bars - especially in cool cities). If I stay downtown, I'd just need an Uber in the morning. If I stay near the airport, I might need one to/from downtown on Sunday evening, so it really doesn't matter to me. Looking at the Hyatts (either downtown or by the airport) since I have a bunch of points through them, just want to make sure I don't inconvenience anyone if we're sharing a car.
3) Is anyone else taking a 5:30 am flight out of SAV? Just wondering if anyone else is going to join me at some ridiculously early hour at the airport.

1) Yes

2) Hyatt by the airport most likely

3) 9am departure

I might see what everyone else is doing when we get off the island on Sunday - if the majority is in HHI I would hang out there then head to SAV later in the evening.

Basically I’ll go where the party is.

Edit: I am the party

Now that orders are in, it's time to think about the event! I'm flying in to HHI, but out of SAV on Monday morning. A couple questions for those headed back to Savannah to stay Sunday night...

1) Is there a car headed back to Savannah on Sunday with room in it that I could hitch a ride? If not, happy to split an Uber.
2) Where are people staying in Savannah? I would LOVE to spend the evening in downtown Savannah grabbing food, drinking beer, telling stories from the event and watching March Madness - there are so many great places downtown too (not a huge fan of airport hotel bars - especially in cool cities). If I stay downtown, I'd just need an Uber in the morning. If I stay near the airport, I might need one to/from downtown on Sunday evening, so it really doesn't matter to me. Looking at the Hyatts (either downtown or by the airport) since I have a bunch of points through them, just want to make sure I don't inconvenience anyone if we're sharing a car.
3) Is anyone else taking a 5:30 am flight out of SAV? Just wondering if anyone else is going to join me at some ridiculously early hour at the airport.
2) I don't have a room for Sunday night, I wasn't sure if we were staying on the island Sunday night
3) 9:00a Monday

Good stuff. I'll probably need to spend the night in Savannah due to the early flight but happy to hang out wherever beforehand and can Uber there Sunday night if others end up staying in Hilton Head.

I’m down for some Savannah time on Sunday as well before I’m fly out Monday morning.

Any word on practice rounds?

I’m down for some Savannah time on Sunday as well before I’m fly out Monday morning.

How about you guys just drive an hour or so north and go play the Ocean course at kiawah :)

Although that would make it very very tough to get back to the ferry ha ha

2019 Morgan Cup Travel/Extra Rounds Thread #THPMC2019

Dan and I spoke a little bit about Hilton Head National. Though from what I’ve learned it’s not on the island and even though it appears to be close getting over the bridge could be an issue depending on time.

However it is closer to the guys driving in from Savannah so if we get on the course sooner maybe it will work. It was a little less pricey than some of the others and had at the time a lot more tee times available in our window.

I’ve been super busy with other things lately and haven’t really looked in a week or so. Heck I haven’t even booked travel yet haha but from what I’m seeing it looks like I’ll be flying into Savannah as well because prices for me have skyrocketed into Hilton Head (unless I want to make multiple stops which I don’t) for some reason. I may end up driving if I can’t get a reasonable deal, I have never seen prices jump like they have.

Dan and I spoke a little bit about Hilton Head National. Though from what I’ve learned it’s not on the island and even though it appears to be close getting over the bridge could be an issue depending on time.

However it is closer to the guys driving in from Savannah so if we get on the course sooner maybe it will work. It was a little less pricey than some of the others and had at the time a lot more tee times available in our window.

I’ve been super busy with other things lately and haven’t really looked in a week or so. Heck I haven’t even booked travel yet haha but from what I’m seeing it looks like I’ll be flying into Savannah as well because prices for me have skyrocketed into Hilton Head (unless I want to make multiple stops which I don’t) for some reason. I may end up driving if I can’t get a reasonable deal, I have never seen prices jump like they have.

Any idea from the locals about the better course between Old South or Hilton Head National? I've heard good things about both and they're literally next door to each other. They both look like the same cost, although don't know if there are any deals we might get at either place. Just another option if we wanted to "cross the bridge".

Shorter drive from SAV would be much appreciated

Any idea from the locals about the better course between Old South or Hilton Head National? I've heard good things about both and they're literally next door to each other. They both look like the same cost, although don't know if there are any deals we might get at either place. Just another option if we wanted to "cross the bridge".

both are just "ok" if you guys are just looking for someplace cheaper to play. Hilton Head is definitely 1 place where you get what you pay for course wise on and around the island.

"Just ok" might be alright for some of us potentially getting in our first round of the year :act-up:! Seems like there's so much golf on/near the island that there's no major rush to get something booked...I'm happy anywhere so I'll be there whatever Cap decides.

both are just "ok" if you guys are just looking for someplace cheaper to play. Hilton Head is definitely 1 place where you get what you pay for course wise on and around the island.

Like mike said. Both are good courses as golf courses go, but with the other more "prestigious" courses around the area, they are a little less sought after by out of towners.

I would also agree, unlike Charleston, HH is much better at pricing based on quality and what not.

Gentleman...

I have secured tee times at Hilton Head National Golf Course for Friday March 22. Lieutenant Dan and I conversed and decided this would be the best choice for not only availability and price but for those flying in flying in Friday morning it should be an easier trip to make it to the course on time.

By my count have 14 guys whom I think all will be in attendance. IF you are not going to be there PLEASE let me or Dan know. I had to give my CC to hold the spots and really don't want to pay for a slot we don't need.

Tee times start are 10:38, 10:45, 10:53 and 11:00am – Cost is $98/each. If you are in one of the later tee times you "may" have to end your round early to make it to our destination by 4pm. Dan and I have talked about having a 3:15 hard cut time to leave the course if necessary. Please post that you will be there and if you need a later tee time. We will figure out groupings as we get closer based on that info.

We are getting close! Only 48 days!

Also a few of us are booking rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn which looks to be pretty close to the course for anyone coming in Thursday evening.

Gentleman...

I have secured tee times at Hilton Head National Golf Course for Friday March 22. Lieutenant Dan and I conversed and decided this would be the best choice for not only availability and price but for those flying in flying in Friday morning it should be an easier trip to make it to the course on time.

By my count have 14 guys whom I think all will be in attendance. IF you are not going to be there PLEASE let me or Dan know. I had to give my CC to hold the spots and really don't want to pay for a slot we don't need.

Tee times start are 10:38, 10:45, 10:53 and 11:00am – Cost is $98/each. If you are in one of the later tee times you "may" have to end your round early to make it to our destination by 4pm. Dan and I have talked about having a 3:15 hard cut time to leave the course if necessary. Please post that you will be there and if you need a later tee time. We will figure out groupings as we get closer based on that info.

Also a few of us are booking rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn which looks to be pretty close to the course for anyone coming in Thursday evening.

Barring unforeseen circumstances on Friday morning, I will be there and shouldn’t have an issue with any of the tee times.

Gentleman...

True leadership. Thanks for doing this JD, I know I wouldn't want to do it!

I'll be coming from Savannah with OITW so whatever he says

p.s. don't get your flight delayed buddy

Back