Tom Wishon Golf - Sterling Irons Single Length Set

This is the manufacturer my golf teacher recommends for my improvement.Sad to say I thought Wishon was his brand name :( as he custom makes clubs for his students.This all makes sense now,as he said something about 5 iron length for my irons.Since the 5 iron is one my favorites and the club he gave me to use in practice.The only thing holding me back is the price right now.These custom clubs are sure not on the cheap side.Before I make the commitment I have to contemplate if golf is my main priority
Chip, Wishon isn't a bad brand, just not a major player. Your teacher does custom builds, not manufacturing. If he is taking you down the single-length path, you have other options. Nearly every other club head can be built into a single-length set, with weight manipulation during the build. Not many folks go that direction, but maybe it's something that will work for you.

There's been some interesting research done comparing traditional length irons with single length irons that suggests shaft length doesn't provide a significant difference in distance between two such sets (single length with larger gaps and traditional). These probably won't appeal to anyone who uses the phrase "dial in my distances," but it is intriguing to someone who doesn't have a 'dial' let alone know how to use it, and has little time to play, let alone practice (ces't moi). As far as cost goes, there are enough well-heeled club 'hos, that if you wait for a while, you'll probably be able to pick up a set to experiment with at a reasonable price on Ebay.

Chip, Wishon isn't a bad brand, just not a major player. Your teacher does custom builds, not manufacturing. If he is taking you down the single-length path, you have other options. Nearly every other club head can be built into a single-length set, with weight manipulation during the build. Not many folks go that direction, but maybe it's something that will work for you.

Swingweights would be different thus defeating the purpose.

Swingweights would be different thus defeating the purpose.
Most builders can manipulate weights in the shafts and club heads for SW purposes (though some club heads may not be as readily modified).

thanks.Never knew golf would be this complicated.Before lessons,I always thought of golf as a ball and stick.Go hit it-find it-hit it again and have some laughs.Learning more everyday,but still miss my simple approach to golf that I had before lessons

thanks.Never knew golf would be this complicated.Before lessons,I always thought of golf as a ball and stick.Go hit it-find it-hit it again and have some laughs.Learning more everyday,but still miss my simple approach to golf that I had before lessons
In the grand scheme of things, it is that simple, Chip. We all get something a little different out of the game. The big thing is to make sure you have fun, and there are any number of ways folks get enjoyment out of the game.

As I said earlier in this thread my wife uses equal length Nova Hybrid Irons, they are 36.5", all this talk about gapping got me thinking so I done some testing. I use Cleveland 588 Altitudes at 1" short I found her 4 iron (24*@36.5") goes as far as my 6 iron (27*@37.25") and her PW (48*@36.5") goes as far as my PW (44*@35") that is a range of 140 meters to 100 meters so there is two more clubs in her set to cover the same distance so the gapping is a lot less it works out to around 7 meters per club, my set is 10 meters per club.

Last edited:
If something like this actually worked for me, I'd be all over it.

this is NOT an indictment of the path you're on, it's simply something it took me awhile to get back to: never lose what i bolded above. golf is fun, and should be fun. i have two small kids at home and a demanding job. i get to play, but not near as often as i'd like. enjoy every minute of it, regardless of where you are in your lesson plan!

Chip,

I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money on clubs until you get to a nice stable point.

Tom Wishon is a highly respected club builder. There's a variety of clubs offered with different designs. If you're ok with going the component club route, the Roger Maltby designs (GolfWorks) is also though of highly. Popeye on the forum likes the Maltby clubs.

Dave

Are we forgetting lie angles?

Are we forgetting lie angles?
No. Lie angles would need to be looked at and modified as well. This is where some club heads may fall off, due to limits in how much they may be bent, reliably (more specific to irons cast from less pliable material).
Not everyone dwells on swing weight. It's just a number.
While that may be the case for some, I have seen and experienced the opposite as well. I have been fitted, and seen others fitted, where tweaks to SW did have a significant impact on the quality and consistency of strike. Now, this variable was secondary to club head, shaft, length, and lie angle, but wasn't inconsequential.

Where does one acquire 10 six or seven iron shafts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brilliant concept and great cosmetics.
High COR face on longer irons and conventional face on higher lofts.
Minimal offset.
Love the in hosel weight bore concept in all Wishon irons. Fantastic for graphite shafts.

Where does one acquire 10 six or seven iron shafts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Most .370 shafts come in 1 raw length and are tip trimmed to flex accordingly, then butt trimmed to final playing length. If .355, you can buy them at designated, raw lengths then butt trimmed accordingly.

I really like the look and technology that went into the design.
Single length makes a lot of sense, yet of course as with anything, everything does not work for everyone.
A buddy and I will be doing some trial and error with these clubs next year.
Steel for him and graphite for me.
We expect there will be some loft and lie adjustments to be made if for no other reason than he is 6'2" and I'm 5'8", plus a different set up to the ball.

If I had extra $'s available, I'd totally give these a shot. I'm jonesing for a big brand to try releasing a single length set again to make it more accessible.

There are some interesting responses from Tom Wishon in the comment thread on his page. A little on history, another club fitter and some issues with shorter lengths and lofts making it more difficult to get the ball up in the air. He touches on Moe Norman and DeChambeu, why the EQLs didn't quite work, all kinds of stuff.

Fascinating.

Interesting read from Wishon. A lot of things he said if not all are spot on.

I agree 100% and have heard the same response from others who I have pointed in this direction.

I have a colleague who plays a few times a year and told me "if all my clubs were just an 8 iron."

Well guess what?! I look forward to having this discussion with him.

Interesting read from Wishon. A lot of things he said if not all are spot on.

I think TW know's what he is talking about. One has to remember today, that the OEM's have to sell clubs and lots of them or they are done. In the old days when new clubs did not come out several times a year, the major OEM's were all in the sporting goods business and golf was part of the whole picture. Take Wilson for example. They were king at one time and golf was part of what they sold.

Times have changed, but there is no proof us average players that make up 99.9% of all the worlds players are playing better today with all this new technology than we did 30, 40 or 50 years ago. The human still has to swing the club. You can't buy a better game.

I think TW know's what he is talking about. One has to remember today, that the OEM's have to sell clubs and lots of them or they are done. In the old days when new clubs did not come out several times a year, the major OEM's were all in the sporting goods business and golf was part of the whole picture. Take Wilson for example. They were king at one time and golf was part of what they sold.

Times have changed, but there is no proof us average players that make up 99.9% of all the worlds players are playing better today with all this new technology than we did 30, 40 or 50 years ago. The human still has to swing the club. You can't buy a better game.
I know you're vehemently anti technology, but this is a pretty massive stretch.

Tom Wishon Golf - Sterling Irons Single Length Set

I have a full set of clubs from the 80s and early 90s. I challenge/offer anybody to come to a THP event, we can put them outside on the FlightScope and see what they hit better.

I already know what the answer is, but it's an easy test. One that is without a shadow of a doubt able to be seen, and if someone does not want to go back that far, we can go to 2005 and 2010 and see the difference too.

It's not incremental, it's drastic for amateurs.

Back