Flexible 58 wedge to replace current SW/LW pair

jmaier

Reaction score
Handicap
11.5 CDGA
I'm going to try an experiment and replace my current SM5 54/60 wedge set with either the 54* SW from my XR set or a G30 54* I have laying around. I noticed that from the 80-105 yard range I miss more greens or hit more poor shots than I should. I'm actually closer to the pin at 110-130 yards! The additional forgiveness for 3/4 to full swings would be nice.

If I do this, I'd like to bag one "gamer" SW/LW in a 57-58 degree loft. However, this single wedge would need to be pretty flexible:

• have adequate bounce for fluffy lies/bunkers (10-13* bounce)
  • be able to open up with a grind suitable for short lobs from tighter lies or handle chipping from tighter lies.

Any ideas about candidates to consider? I haven't spent much time with various manufacturer's wedges and set-ups. There are so many, I'd like to just evaluate 2-3 options.

Thanks!

MackDaddy 3 PM grind in a 58 or 60.

Stupid versatile.

Maybe the PM grind? If you're looking to use it more as a specialty wedge around the green. Made to open up, and stupid, stupid easy out of rough and bunkers.

PM Grind and it is not close!

Would second the Callaway PM grind, 58* is what I have in my bag. Don't hit too many full shots with it, but it can be used for pretty much every shot once you get used to how it looks.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/mens/wedges/wedges-mack-daddy-pm-chrome.html

Can find it other places obviously, but here is link to the club on Callaways website.

That is one very strange looking club! I'm not thinking anything outside of 60 yards or so. I just want one stick that is maximally flexible around the greens.

The bridgestone J15 will do all that you ask in the 58*. I love mine. Plus it's money on full shots.

That is one very strange looking club! I'm not thinking anything outside of 60 yards or so. I just want one stick that is maximally flexible around the greens.

PM Grind is the way to go then IMO. Extremely flexible, can face all sorts of shots. I use mine as a full swing from 95 all the way down to bunker and chip shots.

My vote would be the callaway MD3 w grind. It's partially because I'm not a fan of the PM grind at all, but the W grind on the high lofted MD3's offer adequate bounce and are still very versatile.

The titleist Vokey SM5 K grind would be something to look into as well.

Love my Bridgestone J40 in 58. Would assume similar performance from J15

Can't beat the J15 58*. I'm still head over heels for that thing.

Pm grind in 56* easy to open up for lobs and also good on full shots

My vote would be the callaway MD3 w grind. It's partially because I'm not a fan of the PM grind at all, but the W grind on the high lofted MD3's offer adequate bounce and are still very versatile.

The titleist Vokey SM5 K grind would be something to look into as well.

Agree. I have the k grind and love it. But it really depends on how you swing. Every one of the clubs that have been recommended are really good. It depends on what you like both in looks and feel and what works with your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the new W/S PMP wedges. Plenty of options available, and the price is crazy good.

PM Grind and its not close for overall versatility.

The Mack Daddy 2 58 T grind would do what you are looking for... And can be had cheap right now..,

Dax

If you are looking to save money, think about bending one of your SM wedges to the bounce you want (either 56 weak or 60 strong). I bent a 60 to 62*and added a little bounce.

I'm going to play 48* and 52* in my AP 1's KK Regular flex. CPO has a PM 58* in a Steelfiber. Think this would be a good match to my set?

Last edited:
I don't see what's wrong with your 54 SM5. That's one of the best wedges around.

Back