Playing with Slower Golfers

You are not a slow golfer so why take their side?

you know, i'm not really sure why i'm defending them. maybe it's because i wish it was more acceptable to play slower. i love taking my time, enjoying my surroundings and not being in a hurry. i love the peace and tranquility. i wish people wouldn't be in such a hurry. now, 5:30 is ridonkulous. but 4:30 is comfortable and allows people to chit chat and enjoy themselves. those who want to play blisteringly fast are imposing their own desires on those around them. i don't AT ALL agree with people who say everyone should keep pace with the fastest group on the course. but that's a different conversation, and i know it's not how everyone feels.

you know, i'm not really sure why i'm defending them. maybe it's because i wish it was more acceptable to play slower. i love taking my time, enjoying my surroundings and not being in a hurry. i love the peace and tranquility. i wish people wouldn't be in such a hurry. now, 5:30 is ridonkulous. but 4:30 is comfortable and allows people to chit chat and enjoy themselves. those who want to play blisteringly fast are imposing their own desires on those around them. i don't AT ALL agree with people who say everyone should keep pace with the fastest group on the course. but that's a different conversation, and i know it's not how everyone feels.
I think 4:00 is a perfect pace 415 even on a busy day. Beyond that and it's not fun as it takes you out of your rhythm.

I have no issue with enjoying the day but when the group behind you is waiting on every shot and you have room in front, chances are you playing slow. Now if you're waiting then you are on pace. And I agree you should not have to play as fast as a three hour group if you are within that 400-415 time frame. But if there open holes then wave groups through.

I think 4:00 is a perfect pace 415 even on a busy day. Beyond that and it's not fun as it takes you out of your rhythm.

I have no issue with enjoying the day but when the group behind you is waiting on every shot and you have room in front, chances are you playing slow. Now if you're waiting then you are on pace. And I agree you should not have to play as fast as a three hour group if you are within that 400-415 time frame. But if there open holes then wave groups through.

Its funny because 4:30 only became a thing because people couldn't keep up with 4:00. You and I are close to the same age, and I am sure you remember the talks about 4 hours. Nowadays, those talks dont exist, because nobody cares about anybody elses time on the course.

Its funny because 4:30 only became a thing because people couldn't keep up with 4:00. You and I are close to the same age, and I am sure you remember the talks about 4 hours. Nowadays, those talks dont exist, because nobody cares about anybody elses time on the course.

They done and it's sad. What's worse is that most courses don't enforce the rules. And when they do, slow groups complain of unfair treatment.

Me and pops played in 3 hours on Sunday at a leisurely pace. No rushed shots and even a few tips for him. I mean we had a great time too.

I'd have left them. There is no way I'd have stayed with them after the second warning. Once I saw that they were going to ignore the ranger, I'd have simply told them to lollygag all they wanted but I was there to play golf, and see you later if you ever actually finish.

It's one thing if it's someone I know. I'll be pretty much no nonsense if we fall behind because they are fooling around. With strangers, you just don't know how they will react, and since the course apparently had a ranger who was on the ball and they still refused to accept that they were causing a problem, I don't see any real choice if I don't want to seen as a problem along with them. I'd hit and move out and within a couple of shots I'd have left them behind.

That may sound rude, but it's not as rude as those two feeling that they had the right to hold up the whole course just because they had "paid their money". Everyone stuck behind them paid too.

They done and it's sad. What's worse is that most courses don't enforce the rules. And when they do, slow groups complain of unfair treatment.

Me and pops played in 3 hours on Sunday at a leisurely pace. No rushed shots and even a few tips for him. I mean we had a great time too.

During the days of the 4 hour rounds, there were no cell phones, where some think their phone call is more important than anything else. Perhaps, more people are playing or getting into the game, the game is starting to shed its image as the rich man's game. That means there may be more beginning golfers on the course as opposed to the old days. Now newbees should not add an hour to the round, but I can see where the less experienced could add 15 to 30 minutes, accordingly the demise of the 4 hour round especially on public venues.

During the days of the 4 hour rounds, there were no cell phones, where some think their phone call is more important than anything else. Perhaps, more people are playing or getting into the game, the game is starting to shed its image as the rich man's game. That means there may be more beginning golfers on the course as opposed to the old days. Now newbees should not add an hour to the round, but I can see where the less experienced could add 15 to 30 minutes, accordingly the demise of the 4 hour round especially on public venues.

This hasn't been a rich mans game since TW came on the scene. The sport of golf is dying and the pace of play is going with it.

This hasn't been a rich mans game since TW came on the scene. The sport of golf is dying and the pace of play is going with it.

Since you are definitely more knowledgeable about the game than I, I must accept your comment. Which means that I have no idea why things are slower than when I was younger, Perhaps, its just that some are just not as courteous these days.

very true, and why letting people play through is a good idea. i also recognize that constantly letting groups through can be a hindrance to the course's pace.

Once there was a clear hole ahead I would have gone on without them without hesitation. The only thing I hate more than slow play is being part of the problem. Plus, I prefer to play alone if I'm not playing with friends. I don't care much for playing with strangers, so I'd welcome the opportunity to strike out on my own.

very true, and why letting people play through is a good idea. i also recognize that constantly letting groups through can be a hindrance to the course's pace.

Of course you don't let everyone through but one group usually will fix the issue. Letting the group through should be a wake up call to the group. PICK UP THE PACE PICANTE

I have some trouble sometimes on the golf course which could on the odd occasion make me a bit slower. The one thing I hate more than anything is when one of the guys you are playing with decides to walk 50 yards in front of you and waits by his ball. First thing that goes through my mind is sculling it and killing someone.

I've walked off courses as a result of slow play plenty of times - heck I played this past summer, was on the 13th green and at this point it was over 5 hrs - I politely said "I gotta run guys - enjoy!" - my group wasn't the slow one - and I was the 5th group out that morning...just ridiculous...

Since you are definitely more knowledgeable about the game than I, I must accept your comment. Which means that I have no idea why things are slower than when I was younger, Perhaps, its just that some are just not as courteous these days.

I know what I know, doesn't mean it's more than you. I hope I didn't come off that way.

I blame the equipment and marketing. Everyone I meet hits 300 yards. THPrs are the exception to the rule. And I think when guys don't see that it frustrates them and they start looking for the answer in the course. I also think people don't know how to play the game. They don't need to travel from shot to shot. They can all walk to their second shots and them back to the cart. There are a host of reasons but the main one is that slow players do not care that they are slow.

I know what I know, doesn't mean it's more than you. I hope I didn't come off that way.

I blame the equipment and marketing. Everyone I meet hits 300 yards. THPrs are the exception to the rule. And I think when guys don't see that it frustrates them and they start looking for the answer in the course. I also think people don't know how to play the game. They don't need to travel from shot to shot. They can all walk to their second shots and them back to the cart. There are a host of reasons but the main one is that slow players do not care that they are slow.
I honestly don't think it's that they don't care i think they don't even realize it.

You try and tell people they're really slow and they don't believe you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been in that situation before. I first politely said a couple of times that "we" needed to pick up the pace. After a couple of polite tries, I got more aggressive and said "we REALLY" need to pick up the pace after the marshal had come by a second time. When it didn't happen, I told the two guys that I wasn't going to get blacklisted on my own home course and drove back to the clubhouse. After talking with the guys in the proshop, I went back out to the hole I stopped playing on and finished the round.
I saw the same two guys a couple of weeks later and got the whispers and fingers pointed at me, to which I smiled and said, have a crappy day!

I just played in a tournament as a foursome that took us 6 hours to finish. And we weren't the slowest group yet.

Slow players fall under my category of "you're not playing my game", along with golfers who have their caddies move their ball out of trouble.

In a tournament there's nothing I can do, but if it was a casual game I'd invent an excuse like I had a flight to catch so I had to finish at a specified time, which was usually true anyway in my home course.

Slow players to me are the cancer of golf and slow players show a lack of consideration for the rest of the field. A few days ago we went out as a fivesome, I was walking 99 percent of the time, and more than once we had to discuss on the tee box because we were organizers for an upcoming tournament, and we didn't exceed 4 and a half hours.

Haven't read any of the answers just the original post. This is one of those spots where the right play might considered rude normally. I leave them in the dust at the turn, a quick sorry with some excuse and tee off on 10 and be done before they have a chance to think about it.

After the first warning on hole 6 I would have realized pace hasn't changed through the rest of the front 9 and just went ahead and played by myself at the turn. I would say something polite but acknowledging that I agree with the course and Ranger that this pace is too slow and I don't want to be stuck playing this speed either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe me, I have nothing but the greatest respect for your knowledge of the game and the golf swing. If everyone you meet hits the ball 300 yards, then its a shame that you had to cancel your visit to Maryland some time back. I was looking forward to meeting and playing a round of golf with you. Trust me, if we had played, you could no longer say everyone hit it 300 yards. I celebrate a 200 yard drive. (Going for a XXIO 9 fitting at Club Champion on Saturday, crossing my fingers). I definitely agree, it is possible to be sociable and play at a reasonable and responsible pace. I find one of the great aspects of golf is the ability to have a good time with friends, but not at the expense of others. I also think it important to promote the "play it forward" initiative. I see far too many trying to play from tees far beyond their ability. The game should be promoted as fun to be had not a gauntlet to be run.

I honestly don't think it's that they don't care i think they don't even realize it.

You try and tell people they're really slow and they don't believe you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This part is accurate in most cases. Nobody thinks they are slow. I mean if we put a thread up on THP and ask, nobody says yes. Yet we go to an event, and every cart is in the red and courses is tearing into me. Haha

In this instance though, they knew they were slower, but didn't care at all. So what should a course do? I mean this tends to happen a lot and it kills an entire tee sheet. Based on what I'm hearing it sucks and 99% of golfers hate it, but oh well deal with it.

I usually say that I have something happening in a couple hours and ask if they'd mind if I just go ahead if I'm playing by myself.

Most slow players think they're not in my experience. If I'm playing with strangers I may say something politely once or twice but in my oppinion ultimately it's not my job to Marshall others. If their my guests at my club on the other hand, I'll get on them more because ultimately I'm the one that has too hear about it from the staff. Besides I feel it's inconsiderate. It's a slippery slope though. Some of the older guys play super fast and I don't like feeling rushed. I like to keep pace but at the same time, I don't want to play speed golf either.

O slow play haha. It gets me so hot when someone is super slow and Wont recognize it or insist they are not slow. Personally I think courses should monetarily fine a group causing rounds over a set time (five hours maybe) no one in that group wants to pay more and will be on their slow buddies. That said in order to do this courses would have to employ at least one if not more rangers that would TRULY monitor play not just ride around

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have some trouble sometimes on the golf course which could on the odd occasion make me a bit slower. The one thing I hate more than anything is when one of the guys you are playing with decides to walk 50 yards in front of you and waits by his ball. First thing that goes through my mind is sculling it and killing someone.
Standard if players are walking. He should still step off the fairway for you to hit if you are both on it. Anyone who is doing this is going to be watching you hit, dodging a ball from 50 yards isn't hard on the off chance you skull it straight at him.

Back