Putting Sweet Spot - Your Game

I honestly have no idea. Im not even sure how big the sweet spot is on my putter lol

If i had to guess I would say less than 10% of the time. With my putter I tend to miss and hit toe side a huge amount of the time.

i would say now that I've got a putter that has been set up exactly as I want it so that my stroke is as easy as I'm going to get, Id be closer to 40%. Before now I would have say 20%.

Once?

(at least? hopefully)

Man, maybe 40%. I really don't even know what the size of the sweet spot is on a putter. I love topics like this because it shows how little I know about equipment and gives me a chance to learn. Great topic.

I putt fairly well. If I angle the light just right on the face of one of my putters that I've practiced/gamed with over the last couple of years I can see a nickel sized mark on the face. This tells me that my putting stroke is reasonably consistent. It also tells me that I have a lot of room for improvement.

10-20 for me I think

I was going to guess 40%, but, obviously that's wrong, since the pros only average 30%. I still think that I might be close to that on putts inside of 10 feet, though.

How does one know where the Exact sweetspot is on the putter? Unless you practice with talc powder on your putter all the time and you know exactly where you hit it. Making or missing putts doesn't necessarily correlate with hitting the sweetspot every time, does it?

Im guessing 15-20% of the time for me

Lets just say the pros only hit the sweet spot around 30% of the time and the amateurs were under 17%. And these were all 12 handicaps or better.

Disclaimer - This is not my test, I was not there when it was conducted, but trust that it is accurate with the people who did it

If this is true, then I change my answer to more like 6%...

Ok so let's say I have an avg of 32 putts per round.

Less than 1/2 are struck dead center. So my guess is in the 15-20% range

I would say something in the 40% range

Never would be a good estimate. All my putters have a worn spot about 3/8ths of an inch from the center of the face. My putters include multiple blades and mallets from various manufacturers. Definitely a stroke issue.

Never would be a good estimate. All my putters have a worn spot about 3/8ths of an inch from the center of the face. My putters include multiple blades and mallets from various manufacturers. Definitely a stroke issue.

I have never seen a putter with a wear mark. Can you post a pic?

attachment.php

The other side of this is: what are the consequences of missing the sweet spot? That has to depend on the putter and also how much the face has rotated in 2 and 3D at impact.

Bingo... When I first went to a high MOI putter years ago I did not like it off the bat because of the lack of feedback (twisting-vibration-sound). I now embrace it. Is feedback is going to help me on the stroke I just made. No.. Will it help me on the next one? Not sure.. In my mind I pick my speed, pick my line & if the ball starts on that line with the right speed that is all I can control. I miss more putts because of bad reads with bad speed than with bad impacts for sure. Aimpoint Express has helped with the reads.

Probably less than 10% is my guess since I would only have that real sweet feel once or twice a round.
But that's why I have a putter with PIXL inserts to help me with my inconsistent strike.

No idea but I'm guessing the number is lower than I'd like to admit. Interesting data here. Curious to see what the best answer would be for someone who's inconsistent in this area. I do know that every once in a while I'll roll a putt way farther than I think it should go... Always just assumed that was a misread on my part.

Wow good question. I would guess 15 to 25% of the time. I feel like sound plays a big part in the perception of it all in addition to feel. I can tell I found the sweet spot even without looking at the result by that nice muted sound it makes.

For me probably depends on the length of the putt. On a long, uphill putt that requires a longer harder stroke probably low percentage.

I'd guess for overall in the round about 40%

My initial guess would have been around 25%. But I'm not at all surprised with the testing results, and in all reality, it's not hard for me to believe I'm under 25%.

I am a terrible putter so I'm probably at <5%

Great question, I'm thinking 50% of the time.

Tried this last night. Didn't have something that showed it very well, so couldn't get a good picture. But for a 20 foot putt, my number will be way lower than I originally would have thought/hoped. But, I'd still say I'm always making contact with the hypothetical dime sized area, it's just not dead center of it a high percentage of the time. I do believe that the shorter you go in distance though, the higher and higher the percentage would be. I'd say my dead center percentage is about that previously mentioned 17-20% for a 20 footer. But for the 5-20% offline, I'd say the vast majority of the remaining shots fall into that.

Would be fun to do this at a THP event with everyone there.

Back