AT&T Pebble Beach Amateur handicaps

Borss

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else think some of these amateurs are bad at math? Either that or there are a lot of single digits who can barely make contact with the ball....

I dont.
I think people forget what the handicap is, that its shooting potential.
Then add playing in a format like this, from areas you dont normally play from and it brings a lot.

I look at THP Events and what #OutingApproved does when venturing out to different courses, that are more challenging than what is the normal play.

I will use an example. The first time I went to play in a big media event was at Bandon Dunes. I already have a unique swing and proceeded to play really poorly for the first 9 holes. In fact I think I shot 54. We then had a break and my buddy Dave comes up to me and says "What the hell dude, you said you were blah blah blah". We go back out for another 18 and again I shot 51 on the front. And then at the turn it clicked and I went on to shoot 35, 39 and 39 for the final three 9 hole games.

Key word amateur. I don't care if you're a 2 handicap and on your home course you shoot in the 70's. On that stage, with the talent around you, and national TV, I would be more surprised if there weren't any duffed shots rather than none.

I dont.
I think people forget what the handicap is, that its shooting potential.
Then add playing in a format like this, from areas you dont normally play from and it brings a lot.

I look at THP Events and what #OutingApproved does when venturing out to different courses, that are more challenging than what is the normal play.

I will use an example. The first time I went to play in a big media event was at Bandon Dunes. I already have a unique swing and proceeded to play really poorly for the first 9 holes. In fact I think I shot 54. We then had a break and my buddy Dave comes up to me and says "What the hell dude, you said you were blah blah blah". We go back out for another 18 and again I shot 51 on the front. And then at the turn it clicked and I went on to shoot 35, 39 and 39 for the final three 9 hole games.

Thats not what I mean. I'm talking about Larry the Cable guy claiming to be a 15 or Chris Berman an 18. That's not nerves.

I'm not going to judge anyone who posts a handicap. It has no bearing on me or my game.

Thats not what I mean. I'm talking about Larry the Cable guy claiming to be a 15 or Chris Berman an 18. That's not nerves.

How do you know?
I mean how does one know Chris Berman does not live on a short course, play every few weeks and once every four rounds shoots around 88-90. That would be an 18 (dependent on course index).

I actually think my example is similar. I was playing to about a 3 at the time. As soon as I got to the event, I was playing like a 18. Those that never met me, with my swing, would have sworn I was just making it up.

I don't know... course slope , index, familiarity, nerves...they would bother me, big time, at least at first! Some of them do have some strange swings according to Peter Kostis. I'm not good enough to judge!!

So many variables into where a person plays, how often, the pressure they may feel in an environment outside of their normal playing conditions. I'm a 9.8 and can shoot a 79 or 99 on the same course

I guess maybe I'm judging without all the info. Just my initial impression.

I'm a 17 right now and on that stage, on that course...I woulnd't be surprised if I played like Berman did. He sh@nked one and after that it was in his head and he couldn't do anything. I could see myself doing the same thing easily lol.

I guess maybe I'm judging without all the info. Just my initial impression.

i 100% agree with you. there were some terrible swings rep'ing some low caps. a fundamentally poor swing isn't nerves. a shank here or there, a flubbed chip, whatever i can chalk that up to nerves. but making swings that are riddled with flaws is something else entirely.

that said, i can relate to feeling like you've mis-represented your abilities. my worst round of 2015 was the first time i teed it up in a thp event!

Honestly I don't think these people are reverse sandbagging. There is a number of reasons they could have not played well, they are amateurs. I was a 9 handicap at my lowest, and still was capable of throwing a 95+ out there, it is called being an amateur golfer.

Keep in mind that for the event they limit the handicap to 18, and I do believe they normalize the handicaps relative to the low, so that 18 might actually be a 20 l, even 30.

I dont think so. THey probably play an easier course at home, they are amateurs & when the cameras are rolling you can see them tighten up a little.

It's funny, I've seen a few posts now about the amateurs who people think have claimed a lower handicap than they really are. Whereas Chris Evans, the new Top Gear host, received a lifetime ban from the Dunhill Links for winning with a handicap higher than his actual one was LOL.

It's funny, I've seen a few posts now about the amateurs who people think have claimed a lower handicap than they really are. Whereas Chris Evans, the new Top Gear host, received a lifetime ban from the Dunhill Links for winning with a handicap higher than his actual one was LOL.

Sounds like he is going to fit in just fine presenting that show.

Pressure to perform and play well hit people in different ways. I've seen both sides of this coin for myself. Heck, I wanted SO bad to play well with all my fellow THP'ers this last summer at the KC Invitational, but if you played with my on Friday before the event, you'd think I was a hack and a reverse sand bagger. Granted it rained on us, but I still shot a 95 on a fairly easy course. THEN, the next day at the actual event, I (basically me) shot a 75! Went 35 / 37....and that was because we HAD to use my team mates scores on the last two holes, both double bogeys.

Bottom line, it happens and being in that level of course, set up for the Pro's with people all around and National media...that's a TON of pressure for ANYONE!

Pressure to perform and play well hit people in different ways. I've seen both sides of this coin for myself. Heck, I wanted SO bad to play well with all my fellow THP'ers this last summer at the KC Invitational, but if you played with my on Friday before the event, you'd think I was a hack and a reverse sand bagger. Granted it rained on us, but I still shot a 95 on a fairly easy course. THEN, the next day at the actual event, I (basically me) shot a 75! Went 35 / 37....and that was because we HAD to use my team mates scores on the last two holes, both double bogeys.

Bottom line, it happens and being in that level of course, set up for the Pro's with people all around and National media...that's a TON of pressure for ANYONE!

I am with you on this. I pulled a similar Jeckyl and Hyde at the Savannah Invitational. I played lights out the day after posting something like 90 with a few lost balls.

I think the am's at PB are probably good golfers, if they play to their handicap - remember, a normal golfer should shoot about their cap or better maybe 25% of the time, while the other 75% they will be (usually much) worse.

And throw yourself in front of the fans, with celebrities and pro's, with announcers wanting to speak with you, autographs, etc., it would be easy to become distracted and not play very well.

I figure with about a couple hundred thousand people watching you and another few million watching from TV AND having PGA pro's playing with you, the pressure can build and maybe make you not play your best.

Add in the fact that they are playing a course that is somewhat tuned up for the pros. Rough is very likely a lot thicker and taller that your normal private course. Fairways may be a little narrow etc.
As many have described here, everyone has rounds where their handicap would be laughable to anyone golfing with them. I am currently a 9.1 and I guarantee the guys I got paired up with today would guess that I am a 15 or more, and that is on a normal course I am used to.
i would wager to say that most would likely shoot well over their handicap at an event like this.

I'm a 7 and I bladed and chunked a number of shots today on a local track. I could only imagine what I would shoot with Tour conditions on TV with big crowds around.

i 100% agree with you. there were some terrible swings rep'ing some low caps. a fundamentally poor swing isn't nerves. a shank here or there, a flubbed chip, whatever i can chalk that up to nerves. but making swings that are riddled with flaws is something else entirely.
An ugly swing can play to a low number. If anything I fear a guy with a unique swing and a low number. That's a guy who knows his swing and game.

The course is harder than they are likely used to. They are trying to play well and stay out of the pro's way, not an easy feet. Cameras and crowds. And by Sunday these middle aged guys with serious careers have likely played 6 or 7 rounds in less than a weak. Put it all together and you are going to see some uglies.

I think the handicaps of the Pebble Beach amateurs are accurate. You only play to you index 1 out of 4 rounds and most of these guys haven't played under and real tournament pressure before.

Nerves, crowds, many coming from colder areas and haven't played that much, pressure to try hard in front of the pros, 6 hour rounds all hurt your game. And don't forget: they have to walk the course, which many never do at their home courses. Those courses can beat you up physically if you never walk.

I remember seeing guys with single digit handicaps with their knees knocking for the first tee shots at the Morgan Cup....I can only imagine what the pressure of a huge gallery and national TV cameras would do to the normal amateur

Back