I need some ebay advice

golfaddict22

Reaction score
Handicap
I sold an item on ebay (scotty cameron cover) and in the auction I clearly stated I would only ship to the continental US. My shipping rate was UPS ground for 10 dollars. Next thing I know a guy from Hawaii wins the auction. So I check the shipping quote on ups and fedex and it goes up to 38.00!!! The guy has all positive feedback but doesnt understand why shipping went from 10.00 to 38.00. I sent him two messages explaining the situation and letting him know what the auction states, but he is not getting it. Should I go ahead and contact ebay or let it play out? Im new to ebay so I am just making sure? Thanks

I would contact ebay if he isn't listening

Tappin!

I sold an item on ebay (scotty cameron cover) and in the auction I clearly stated I would only ship to the continental US. My shipping rate was UPS ground for 10 dollars. Next thing I know a guy from Hawaii wins the auction. So I check the shipping quote on ups and fedex and it goes up to 38.00!!! The guy has all positive feedback but doesnt understand why shipping went from 10.00 to 38.00. I sent him two messages explaining the situation and letting him know what the auction states, but he is not getting it. Should I go ahead and contact ebay or let it play out? Im new to ebay so I am just making sure? Thanks

You could contact eBay or just cancel the auction. If he failed to read the terms, then I'd say you could just relist the item. You cant ship a headcover for less than $38? Seems very high for something that light and small.

According to ups and fedex the shipping price is 10.62 to California from Florida, but it jumps to 38.00 to Hawaii? Usps showed 20.00 but their tracking is horrible!

According to ups and fedex the shipping price is 10.62 to California from Florida, but it jumps to 38.00 to Hawaii? Usps showed 20.00 but their tracking is horrible!
I have never shipped outside the cont. US either but I do believe the USPS tracking is fairly good in that you can get delivery confirmation and actually know that the package was delivered. I have probably shipped 150 ebay items without a hitch. Get him to pay the extra $10 and ship to him or else do as others have said just cancel the auction and relist with the shipping stipulation in huge lettering.

I would give him that option. Tell him you are willing to ship to Hawaii for the cost of USPS. If he says no then just relist it.

Thanks guys, I will do that.

Also, I believe there is an option in your account settings to exclude certain buyers based on geography.

I work for USPS and there is no way it costs 20 bucks to ship a headcover to Hawaii

Unless I looked it up wrong on the eBay section of shipping rates with tracking information, it said 20.00. I contacted eBay and they said he shouldn't have bid on the item and if he doesn't want to pay to ship through fed-ex or ups then to send him a auction cancellation. Thanks for the help

Is it a putter cover? Use the post office and send it with a priority mail flat rate box. It'll be less than $10! (I mail stuff to HI often since my family lives there)

Can you get a tracking number with that?

I hate when people don't read the listing completely. How many times do you see negative feedback for someone complaining about the shipping costs, when the seller clearly states what he's charging for shipping? I consider that part of how much I'm spending, but so many people are glad to get an item for a few bucks and then are ticked that the shipping is high. I think you are being more than fair trying to ship it outside the Continental U.S. when you stated it was only for within it.

1. He should have read the description. That is on him.

2. You should have set the auction so that anyone outside the Cont. US couldn't bid. That is on you.

3. Once he won you should have immediately informed him that you don't ship outside the Cont. US and re-listed without getting into the shipping costs at all. That is on you. Ebay may have charged you anyway since you didn't use the shipping restrictions in the listing.

4. One you told him you would ship it, suggesting he pay 38 bucks for it was not good. It doesn't cost anywhere close to that, and I am sure he felt like you were trying to gouge him. Did your listing indicate that you would ONLY ship with UPS or FedEx?

5. Never use the Ebay estimates for shipping costs. Always check directly with the actual shipper. And FYI, USPS is excellent, offers tracking and is a fraction of the cost of UPS or FedEx.

So lesson learned- don't rely on the bidders to read the whole listing. Put in it plain text but also use the settings in the listing to restrict who can bid and you won't face this problem.

Noted! I did run over to the ups center and it is 37.22 to ship this small box to Hawaii. The listing did say UPS ground. I just changed my restrictions on the account.

That shipping cost seems all wrong. Surely there must be a more economical way to send such a small, lightweight item. Flat rate small box is under $10 to a random HI address I used at the USPS site.

I put the tightest restrictions possible on anything I sell over Ebay. Just don't want the headaches of unreasonable buyers and no payers.

honestly just do a second offer option for the second highest bidder or if that isn't possible just re-list it! If a buyer refuses to cooperate with you because he or she did not read the terms, then that buyer basically forfeits the item unless he or she is willing to pay the extra money for the shipping. Also I have to agree with two solitudes that USPS is excellent and much cheaper in some cases, you may even get away using their "if it fits it ships" boxes that have a flat rate! I also recently screwed up with the shipping estimate on a bag that I use sold last week, I was expecting to pay $16 and had to end up paying $32 from NM to CA, either way it was fine.

I say flat rate box as well!

Yup! USPS small flate rate Priority box is the way to go. Unless you have a box and send it surface rate via USPS. Delivery confirmation available for sure on the Priority. It's zone 8 to HI for you just as if it were Cal.

I hate when people don't read the listing completely. How many times do you see negative feedback for someone complaining about the shipping costs, when the seller clearly states what he's charging for shipping? I consider that part of how much I'm spending, but so many people are glad to get an item for a few bucks and then are ticked that the shipping is high. I think you are being more than fair trying to ship it outside the Continental U.S. when you stated it was only for within it.

I do agree that people do need to read what's listed as shipping costs in part of buying the item, but some times it's a bit unreasonable. One seller that I saw was charging $40 shipping for a nike str8 fit adapter which was the same price as the cost for shipping a club/shaft. I didn't buy because of it so leaving a rating isn't an issue for me, but if I did buy I wouldn't give a negative rating since it was posted clearly but I would give 1 star for shipping costs

So after the advice given, I offered to ship using usps and he ended up sending the extra money to send through ups. :banghead:

Back