2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But yeah, dudes don't like doing ass to grass squats because they suck at mobility. Personal experience, the average 19 year old Private in the Army can't squat past parallel without his heels coming off the ground and his knees moving forward of his toes. Some of that is because they're not taught the proper mechanics of how to move their butt back first and then down, and some of that is simply a total lack of mobility. The sad part is how many of them still squat, but can't move weight, and don't learn that they can't move weight because they lack the range of motion to put themselves into position to drive that weight back to a standing position.

My understanding of low bar squat mechanics, the knees have to get in front of the toes. Am I misinterpreting your post?

Ok that guy got back to me this afternoon and said he'd do a grand for all the stuff I wanted minus a few dumbells. Now im sure he threw that out because he knows I'll counter lol anyways he said

Dumbbells with rack 5-30 (he sold 35-50) which is fine because I wouldn't use those

45 bar with 300lbs in plates

Half rack with hooks, safety arms, and pull up pegs. I originally thought it was a full cage so idk if he sold that or I misunderstood. Is there a huge difference or is one much better?

Bench

And he had 5 ellipticals so he said he'd include one. (My roommate wants one so he'd pitch in).

He had a 2 station home gym kinda thing with cables (not sure what they're called)for sale which would be nice for rows and such. That would be extra but it kinda intrigued me as well.

What do you think guys? What's a decent number on all that? Im excited because it would be like pretty much everything id need if my roommate will go in with me I could afford it.
You need to see it. You would need to see the condition of the equipment. Check put my last squat video. That is technically a half rack with safety arms, which I foolishly didn't have up.

My understanding of low bar squat mechanics, the knees have to get in front of the toes. Am I misinterpreting your post?
Oh, on a low bar squat? Sure. But on an air squat? They shouldn't have to.

This is the movement I'm referring to:

squatbender.jpg

The majority of 19 year olds I work with at PT cannot achieve the position at count 1, or get lower than that, while keeping their heels on the ground. They definitely can't do it without their knees exceeding their toes.

Read this post. Saw your avatar. Couldn't get this out of my head.

Probably doesn't help that it's my ringtone. I should probably get out more.

But yeah, dudes don't like doing ass to grass squats because they suck at mobility. Personal experience, the average 19 year old Private in the Army can't squat past parallel without his heels coming off the ground and his knees moving forward of his toes. Some of that is because they're not taught the proper mechanics of how to move their butt back first and then down, and some of that is simply a total lack of mobility. The sad part is how many of them still squat, but can't move weight, and don't learn that they can't move weight because they lack the range of motion to put themselves into position to drive that weight back to a standing position.

ATG squats (high bar) don't start with a sitting back (wrong toilet). They go straight down with the upper body between the legs. If they sat back, the bar would end up on their neck.

You need to see it. You would need to see the condition of the equipment. Check put my last squat video. That is technically a half rack with safety arms, which I foolishly didn't have up.
Im going to try to look at it this weekend. He said everything is in great shape. No chips, scratches or tears in anything. He seemed genuine but obviously ill have to see. Ive got the room for it in the basement so im kinda excited at the thought of a home workout space haha.

Just watched the video. That seems fine right? I use the cage at the gym I go to but that half rack seems perfect

Just watched the video. That seems fine right? I use the cage at the gym I go to but that half rack seems perfect
Half racks are fine. As long as the base is sturdy and there are movable safety arms.

Half racks are fine. As long as the base is sturdy and there are movable safety arms.
K I'll check that when I go to look. We'll see how things work out

Slight FIFY
You're right, should have said most. I'm a mobility nerd. I think the ability to have strength across the maximum range of motion is a key element for moving fitness outside the gym. In a stress situation you hardly ever get to choose the position you have to move powerfully from, whether that's trying to kick open a door or get out from under someone trying to wrestle with you. It's not about being flexible, so much as being able to engage muscle and generate power from anywhere in that flexibility range. That's how I try to pitch mobility to soldiers, anyway.

You're right, should have said most. I'm a mobility nerd. I think the ability to have strength across the maximum range of motion is a key element for moving fitness outside the gym. In a stress situation you hardly ever get to choose the position you have to move powerfully from, whether that's trying to kick open a door or get out from under someone trying to wrestle with you. It's not about being flexible, so much as being able to engage muscle and generate power from anywhere in that flexibility range. That's how I try to pitch mobility to soldiers, anyway.

Strength at the end of a range of motion is usually where people begin losing it as they age. As most daily activities don't require much in the range of motion, they don't notice it until the loss of strength hits normal activities and, by then, they've lost a quite a bit.

Strength at the end of a range of motion is usually where people begin losing it as they age. As most daily activities don't require much in the range of motion, they don't notice it until the loss of strength hits normal activities and, by then, they've lost a quite a bit.
Look into a squatty potty. ;)

Look into a squatty potty. ;)

Ooh, I'd love one! (Hmm...maybe I could put concrete blocks on either side of the toilet. Yeah, that'd work.)

That's pretty cool blu! For now tho, have you tried Jefit? That's what I use to track everything and it's pretty cool

Is that available now, or coming soon? I think that would help me a lot.
Not yet. But it is available for preorder.
That's pretty cool blu! For now tho, have you tried Jefit? That's what I use to track everything and it's pretty cool
I have not tried jetfit

I just log my sessions in one of these

composition-notebook-570x406.png

Not yet. But it is available for preorder.

I have not tried jetfit

I just log my sessions in one of these

composition-notebook-570x406.png
Wtf is that??

I can dig it. No issues if your battery is dead lol
Don't have to worry about dropping a plate on it either.

Wtf is that??
It's like the quick memo app for your phone, only you can't write in it by just talking to it.

It's like the quick memo app for your phone, only you can't write in it by just talking to it.
It doesn't have talk to text but it does have a stylus

Weights tonight, and as I'm changing clothes I realize I forgot my workout shirt at home... so I audibled and just worked out in my undershirt, and thankfully it was one of my nicer ones without holes. I did my squats, and feel like I hit a big boy milestone and worked up to plates. Next was bench, and I got my sets in and started seeing sweat turn my shirt semi-opaque, so rather than giving the rest of the gym a show (thankfully it was pretty dead), I opted to come home and do my standing jump shrugs in the privacy of my basement. I think the weights I was using (20 lbs dumbbells, all I own) was a little light, but I'll work up to a heavier weight when I'm not sweating through my shirt. Overall, a good workout.

Weights tonight, and as I'm changing clothes I realize I forgot my workout shirt at home... so I audibled and just worked out in my undershirt, and thankfully it was one of my nicer ones without holes. I did my squats, and feel like I hit a big boy milestone and worked up to plates. Next was bench, and I got my sets in and started seeing sweat turn my shirt semi-opaque, so rather than giving the rest of the gym a show (thankfully it was pretty dead), I opted to come home and do my standing jump shrugs in the privacy of my basement. I think the weights I was using (20 lbs dumbbells, all I own) was a little light, but I'll work up to a heavier weight when I'm not sweating through my shirt. Overall, a good workout.
Once you get more experienced, you will prefer squatting in cotton shirts. I haven't worn a blend shirt to the gym in over a year.

Also, I don't want to sound too cheesy, but I'm proud of you. You're putting in good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back